chip and pin

Replied by MikeJ on topic Chip and Pin

No, as Wanderer stated, debit cards with chips do not require a PIN as you can run a transaction as credit. I use my debit card in this fashion all of the time (well I used to anyways, before Samsung Pay came out.)
7 years 5 months ago #1

Replied by Wanderer on topic Chip and Pin

Believe the agreements with Visa and Mastercard forbid merchants to require verification by ID in the purchase cycle. As to using a pin with a Debit Card, it is required if you select the Debit option. However, if you select credit it will either process or request a signature.
7 years 5 months ago #2

Replied by Breakinger on topic Chip and Pin

FrugalFran wrote: I can walk into Walmart and charge $300 with the chip and not have to sign. I think it's ludicrous. Also, today I was getting pizza for lunch and the guy at my local pizza parlor was complaining because he said that now, instead of just swiping the card, there are seven steps he has to follow with the chip. I don't know exactly what he had to do, but I can tell you none of those steps involved checking my ID or signature.

I've been noticing this too. It seems like I can charge a lot more now without my signature. That scares me a little bit because I almost never get asked for my ID to verify that I am who the credit card says I am. Isn't anyone worried about stolen cards and fraudulent charges anymore?
7 years 5 months ago #3

Replied by FrankN on topic Chip and Pin

For debit cards you still have to put in a pin, but not for credit cards.
7 years 7 months ago #4

Replied by patse on topic Chip and Pin

Wait? You don't have to use your PIN number still? I do. I insert my card - chip in, push in my PIN, and then remove my card. Yes, it's a pain and takes longer.
7 years 8 months ago #5

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Chip and Pin

I can walk into Walmart and charge $300 with the chip and not have to sign. I think it's ludicrous. Also, today I was getting pizza for lunch and the guy at my local pizza parlor was complaining because he said that now, instead of just swiping the card, there are seven steps he has to follow with the chip. I don't know exactly what he had to do, but I can tell you none of those steps involved checking my ID or signature.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by FrugalFran.
7 years 8 months ago #6

Replied by Wanderer on topic Chip and Pin

Noticed with the stores using the chip & signature where I handle the card, they do not even look at the transaction.
7 years 8 months ago #7

Replied by Breakinger on topic Chip and Pin

It definitely has taken a lot longer than expected. I know stores that are still waiting to get their machines hooked up. I just wonder if this is really going to help with security? Most stores are still not looking at my card or ID before I sign and there are times when no signature is required at all.
7 years 8 months ago #8

Replied by Curry on topic Chip and Pin

During the past 8 years it has become evident that security, which is the main reason this all started, has taken a back seat to the cost/benefit aspect of this change. It isn't looking good, it has taken far longer to implement than anyone could have guessed, and it's all because of the costs involved.
7 years 8 months ago #9

was created by Cymru

I'm still not convinced that chip and pin is more secure than getting a signature, is there any hard statisical analysis out there that gives a definative?
15 years 11 months ago #10