Visa Black Card vs Amex Platinum

• smcc811
  • smcc811's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by smcc811 on topic Re: Visa Black Card vs Amex Platinum

What's up Joeyman, yeah I'm going to stay with AMEX, never had a problem with them, just going back and forth regarding upgrading to Platinum. The Black Card is more hype if anything. What keeps me with the Premier Rewards is the extra 15K points once you spend $30K.

Good luck on the business.....
11 years 8 months ago #1

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Visa Black Card vs Amex Platinum

Awwww thanks! I am glad that you conducted a good research and was able to determine the difference between the two. I knew you had the best decision in mind prior to post, but you wanted to hear from others as well. That's how we learn from each other at FG. As for employment, I have been receiving rejections like crazy. But I do have some good news, today I received an email which stated, "I made it to phase II as a Transit Operator." It is not the job I want but it is full time, permanent, pays pretty good, and offer great benefits. I just can't see myself driving a huge bus and dealing with unkindly passengers. I am pretty sure you know our "Bayarea peeps very well."

Oh my gosh, good luck with the job offer :). You hail from San Francisco right?? I'm sure those folks won't give you too bad of a time. Maybe you could get promoted to operating the light-rail someday???

Regards the cards, I say you stay with Amex. They're such a friendly company to do business with and if the rewards pan out it can even be rewarding. My business, or should I say myself (sole-proprietorship), was just approved for the Amex SimplyCash Business card. This was a shocker because my business is so new and doesn't produce a lot of revenue, but they must've took my personal relationship into account.
11 years 8 months ago #2

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Visa Black Card vs Amex Platinum

Awwww thanks! I am glad that you conducted a good research and was able to determine the difference between the two. I knew you had the best decision in mind prior to post, but you wanted to hear from others as well. That's how we learn from each other at FG. As for employment, I have been receiving rejections like crazy. But I do have some good news, today I received an email which stated, "I made it to phase II as a Transit Operator." It is not the job I want but it is full time, permanent, pays pretty good, and offer great benefits. I just can't see myself driving a huge bus and dealing with unkindly passengers. I am pretty sure you know our "Bayarea peeps very well.":suicide: I think I might paint my face five different colors, wear a tangled up wig, fake vampire teeth, and greet each passenger with a cross-eyed smile. At least they will think I am crazy and will rethink before talking crazy to me....lol JK, I think I can handle it. It is a great way to earn growth in their organization because they provide an abundance of job positions.
11 years 8 months ago #3
  • smcc811

Been a long time Meya ! First of all, "small timer ? ", seriously ? you have provided more advice to more people who have had credit scores from poor to excellent and been a shoulder to cry on for many of us.

I remember Wanderer telling me about the upgrade to Platinum for years and I have been hesitant to pull the trigger because the Premier Rewards card has been more than enough for me in every category. Over the years I've come to realize that I just can't justify the AF for the Platinum. The other day I get the invite for the Visa Black Card and the urge came about again. Did more research after the post and realized the Platinum had it beat every which way from Sunday. Was hoping Wanderer would be the " voice of reason" as he, and you, always have been.

Maybe one day.... Anyway Meya good to hear from ya, still want to come back to the East Bay, but employment is still bleak, but picking up and hopefully one day it will be my turn.

Thanks again as always Wanderer !
11 years 8 months ago #4

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Visa Black Card vs Amex Platinum

As always Wanderer, waiting on your wisdom to shine through. Did some more research since this post and found nothing to clamor about regarding the black card. Have yet to pull the trigger on the Platinum, the Premier Rewards card does everything I need it to do and love the extra 15K points every year.

As an added note... you may find the articles on Barclay's Bank useful while considering the American Express Platinum Card vs Barclay's Black Visa Card.
11 years 8 months ago #5

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Visa Black Card vs Amex Platinum

Can a small timer like me share a little light on this story? Smcc and wanderer, you both pointed out some valid points, but it seems like to me that smcc has already answered doubts of applying for a Visa Black Card. Unless you want the fame of having a Visa Black Card, I don’t see a valid point why you should do so if American Express Platinum already suits your needs. Is there a certain type of benefit that you are looking for in the Black card that American Express does not provide? You have been with them for a while, so I am sure that you can call them and negotiate extra benefits to keep you as a customer. I mean, let’s take a look at the bright side, there are not many people out there lucky enough to receive American Express Platinum cards and not many are fortunate enough to repay as well as you have smcc. You have always been bright when it comes to credit cards and well knowledge when it comes to reaping benefits, rewards, points, etc. You both has shed positive light on hidden gimmicks that most banks tricks applicants with, so I say, along with wanderer, why pay nearly $1,000 per year on two cards where $450 satisfies you well. Look at another side, what if you were denied? Would you want to take that risk being a well qualified candidate? I took a look at The Daily Markets and thought I would share this with you. Wanderer provided you with the same comparisons as the article. I wish you the best of luck!

http://www.dailymarkets.com/creditcards/visa-black-card/
11 years 8 months ago #6
  • smcc811

As always Wanderer, waiting on your wisdom to shine through. Did some more research since this post and found nothing to clamor about regarding the black card. Have yet to pull the trigger on the Platinum, the Premier Rewards card does everything I need it to do and love the extra 15K points every year.
11 years 8 months ago #7

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Visa Black Card vs Amex Platinum

Received in the mail today an invitation to apply for the Visa Black Card. Have already been pre-approved for the Amex Platinum Card but never hit the "upgrade" button because of the AF ( $450 ). The Black Card's AF is ( $495 ). I would like to hear from all the Black Card users their experience with the Black Card, good and bad. I know enough about the Platinum Card so don't need any info.

Thanks again !

Barclay's Bank issues the Visa Black Card. From my own experience and from what I have read and seen over the years they have at best a checkered past on reliability. Today they are again in the spot light as a bank for wrong doing. Their track record is not the best.

On the other hand, American Express over time (except 2008-2010) was very stable, stayed out of trouble, and always treated the card member with respect. I have had the Platinum Business & Platinum Personal American Express Cards and was impressed.

The thing you need to consider is will you use the benefits of the card enough to offset the annual fee. I closed mine out due to NOT reaping the benefits sufficiently to offset the annual fee. You have mentioned that before yourself. Another item is the prestige of carrying the card. Is this an importance? You decide.
11 years 9 months ago #8
  • smcc811

was created by smcc811

Received in the mail today an invitation to apply for the Visa Black Card. Have already been pre-approved for the Amex Platinum Card but never hit the "upgrade" button because of the AF ( $450 ). The Black Card's AF is ( $495 ). I would like to hear from all the Black Card users their experience with the Black Card, good and bad. I know enough about the Platinum Card so don't need any info.

Thanks again !
11 years 9 months ago #9