Discover

• Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Discover

I am surprised as well. I had read some posts about Discover trying the card in certain states. Then, just a few days ago I noticed it being advertised on thier site. I checked it out, and couldn't make any sense of the rewards system, but they have a lot of nice perks like missed payment forgiveness, (not raising your APR), no late fee or over the limit fee. These are things not offered on my More card...and that's on top of the great features the More card has, like the quartly 5% cash bonus, the 1% cash back on most other purchases, shop discover with 5-20% bonus, on top of the bonus, and I really like being able to use my cash on Amazon. But, yeah I never recieved an email, or letter or anything letting me know. I later found out that existing members can opt in, but its not an automatic transformatoin, apparently.

I have only had my card for 5 months and I recieved my first automatic CLI, today as a matter of fact, from $1200 to $1500. Not much, but any company that gives you automatic CLI these days goes a long way with customer satisfaction. I did the math for my 2012 purchases and I spent $6431.76 and made back $113.05 in rewards (not including the $50 bonus for referring a friend) and keep in mind that the first $3000 of none quartly cash back was paid at .25%. Even then, my overall earnings rate was 1.76%. This number could vary greatly once I reach my one year anniversary, as the categories tilt in my favor, and I earn more 1% general category cash back.

I don't think I will make the change yet, I don't know, maybe I will ask about it next time I speak to a CSR, but I like the design on the More card better, and I like that I was able to get mine before the change, as it may not be offered as the More card anymore...I get a sense of seniority...lol.

Not sure if the Discover More Card upgraded to "1% on everything else" or if you have to switch to the Discover IT Card. Note, you can make the switch without a soft or hard inquiry, call customer service and they can make the change which takes place at the next billing cycle closing date. The Card is pretty cool looking (understand how you feel abount the Discover More Cash Rewards Card for looks).
11 years 3 months ago #16

Replied by Roughdraft on topic Re: Discover

FG Readers

A major change in the Discover IT Card has taken place and makes the card far more attractive in the "Rewards" Card competitive world.

As of December 16, 2012 "Discover It" is awarding 1 full point for every dollar spent if you aren't under their quarterly 5%, partners 5% to 20%, or a special promo of 2%. Further, discount stores such as Sam's Club, Walmart and Target along with others will be at least at the 1%.

Discover did NOT inform the cardholders of this important and significant change but did include it in their new "Terms & Conditions" posted online. They confirmed.

Seems to me in light of the competitive nature of the market place, they would want to shout this change from the top of every mountain. Many people like myself play the rewards game and Discover has many great features and now their everyday is covered at 1% if NOT more, plus the discount stores. This is big.

I am surprised as well. I had read some posts about Discover trying the card in certain states. Then, just a few days ago I noticed it being advertised on thier site. I checked it out, and couldn't make any sense of the rewards system, but they have a lot of nice perks like missed payment forgiveness, (not raising your APR), no late fee or over the limit fee. These are things not offered on my More card...and that's on top of the great features the More card has, like the quartly 5% cash bonus, the 1% cash back on most other purchases, shop discover with 5-20% bonus, on top of the bonus, and I really like being able to use my cash on Amazon. But, yeah I never recieved an email, or letter or anything letting me know. I later found out that existing members can opt in, but its not an automatic transformatoin, apparently.

I have only had my card for 5 months and I recieved my first automatic CLI, today as a matter of fact, from $1200 to $1500. Not much, but any company that gives you automatic CLI these days goes a long way with customer satisfaction. I did the math for my 2012 purchases and I spent $6431.76 and made back $113.05 in rewards (not including the $50 bonus for referring a friend) and keep in mind that the first $3000 of none quartly cash back was paid at .25%. Even then, my overall earnings rate was 1.76%. This number could vary greatly once I reach my one year anniversary, as the categories tilt in my favor, and I earn more 1% general category cash back.

I don't think I will make the change yet, I don't know, maybe I will ask about it next time I speak to a CSR, but I like the design on the More card better, and I like that I was able to get mine before the change, as it may not be offered as the More card anymore...I get a sense of seniority...lol.
11 years 3 months ago #17
  • Wanderer

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Discover

FG Readers

A major change in the Discover IT Card has taken place and makes the card far more attractive in the "Rewards" Card competitive world.

As of December 16, 2012 "Discover It" is awarding 1 full point for every dollar spent if you aren't under their quarterly 5%, partners 5% to 20%, or a special promo of 2%. Further, discount stores such as Sam's Club, Walmart and Target along with others will be at least at the 1%.

Discover did NOT inform the cardholders of this important and significant change but did include it in their new "Terms & Conditions" posted online. They confirmed.

Seems to me in light of the competitive nature of the market place, they would want to shout this change from the top of every mountain. Many people like myself play the rewards game and Discover has many great features and now their everyday is covered at 1% if NOT more, plus the discount stores. This is big.
11 years 3 months ago #18
  • Wanderer

was created by Wanderer

FG Readers...

A card for you! The Discover Premium Plus

Discover's Premium Plus card gives users access to 350 airline lounges and 24/7 live customer service with a specific team, no spending limit and access to VIP experiences, such as special seating at events like the Kentucky Derby, sailing events on Lake Michigan and "meet the chef" tours.

Discover, which has also repaid its bailout money, would say only that the Premium Plus card has "met expectations." Also, to make Discover's Premium Plus card seem more exclusive, people must be invited to apply for it. American Express' Centurion card also is marketed by invitation only. So Discover decided to get in on the action. It's offering an invitation-only Discover Premium Plus card requiring more than $40,000 a year in annual spending.

"While the industry perception of Discover is that the Discover product was really more middle America, when you do the research you find that the product has been around for 25 years, and the customer base has matured and is more affluent," said Kevin Boglarsky, network products director for Discover.

Any reader have such a card or can tell us more?
11 years 9 months ago #19