Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

Replied by FrankN on topic Got rejected last time

Unless its an interest free loan and you are getting a long term deferred interest, I really don't see the value there.
6 years 8 months ago #1

Replied by JGibbs on topic Got rejected last time

FrankN wrote: I have to ask why were you applying for a credit card there. Were you planning on spending a lot of money at Kay Jewelers?

The only possible benefit I can think of is some sort of deferred interest. Maybe no money down? I don't believe they have offered any of the usual enticements like points, cash back, quicker repair service, or an extended warranty. I hope Justinmatt replies back, because I'd love to know what "discounts" were offered too.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 8 months ago #2

Replied by FrankN on topic Got rejected last time

justinmatt wrote: Last time when I applied for Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card I got rejected. I have above average credit score still I dont know what was the reason of rejection. Then I applied for chase card and it offered almost similar discounts.

I have to ask why were you applying for a credit card there. Were you planning on spending a lot of money at Kay Jewelers?
6 years 10 months ago #3

Replied by justinmatt on topic Got rejected last time

Last time when I applied for Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card I got rejected. I have above average credit score still I dont know what was the reason of rejection. Then I applied for chase card and it offered almost similar discounts.
6 years 10 months ago #4

Replied by FrankN on topic alternate card

I would recommend purchasing Jewelry with American Express because they generally offer very good insurance protection on big ticket items like jewelry.
7 years 1 month ago #5

Replied by willkarter on topic alternate card

I would be scared to death to have a jewelry store credit card. Why wouldn't you just use a visa or master card? Then if you needed to consolidate it would be easier. I feel like if you have to consolidate your credit cards, you probably don't need a jewelry store card anyway. I guess I'm just too tight.
7 years 1 month ago #6

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

Lexie wrote: I would be scared to death to have a jewelry store credit card. Why wouldn't you just use a visa or master card? Then if you needed to consolidate it would be easier. I feel like if you have to consolidate your credit cards, you probably don't need a jewelry store card anyway. I guess I'm just too tight.

That's the way I feel about jewelry, too. I would read my husband the riot act if I ever found out he took out a credit card to buy me jewelry, especially if it was a store card that can only be used in one place.
7 years 1 month ago #7

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

Interesting article. Like you, I take information with a "grain of salt" from some sources but this one lays out a lot of thought provoking information. Gold that is the thing (just watch the show "Gold Rush" on the Discovery Channel).
7 years 2 months ago #8

Replied by Lexie on topic Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

I would be scared to death to have a jewelry store credit card. Why wouldn't you just use a visa or master card? Then if you needed to consolidate it would be easier. I feel like if you have to consolidate your credit cards, you probably don't need a jewelry store card anyway. I guess I'm just too tight.
7 years 2 months ago #9

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

Thank you for the clarification. Some debt consolidators would take it, others might not. There isn't a fast rule, it depends on the company.
7 years 3 months ago #10

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

FrankN wrote: Consolidate into what? I am not sure I am following the question.

If you need to consolidate your credit card debt, would this store card count as one? I read somewhere that some store cards are not eligible for debt consolidation. Was this information inaccurate? Or is this something that has changed over the years?
7 years 3 months ago #11

Replied by MikeJ on topic Re: Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

Speaking of jewelry... has anyone else read this article about the true, intrinsic value of diamonds and the whole scam being perpetuated by De Beers? I don't typically assign much value to anything coming out of Huff Post but this was a good article. I apologize for going somewhat off topic.
7 years 3 months ago #12

Replied by Moneyes on topic Re: Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

I don't think I've ever seen a topic anywhere get off to such a "jerky" start. :lol:
To answer the original question though, just reply truthfully. If you're uneasy in a security sense about questions like that, don't get the card. Pay cash.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Moneyes.
7 years 4 months ago #13

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

Consolidate into what? I am not sure I am following the question.
7 years 4 months ago #14

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Kay Jewelers ® Credit Card is an urgent need

Is it still true that you can't take jewelry accounts into consideration if you need to consolidate? I thought they would be treated just like a store card, which is able to be consolidated, right?
7 years 4 months ago #15