American Express Pre-Paid Card

• rsty99
  • rsty99's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by rsty99 on topic Re: American Express Pre-Paid Card

Card arrived today, a couple of things:

My name is on the card

Card has an expiration date like a regular cc

Will update as I load some money on it and use it.
12 years 6 months ago #1
  • rsty99

Replied by rsty99 on topic Re: American Express Pre-Paid Card

One of the reasons for looking at this card is I have family with Chase accounts that never let their debit card out of there person no restaurants where they take the card away for payment etc. and their accounts have had $100.00 debits not authorized at like gas stations. Chase tells them that new cards are being issued but that gets old. I agree I think AMEX is pushing the envelope a little on this. Just gives another way of payment method when needed. Will update after I get and use it for a few months.
12 years 6 months ago #2

Replied by smcc811 on topic Re: American Express Pre-Paid Card

With the Prepaid Card, I am assuming its tied to your account with AMEX. That being said does it do the following:
  • If you lose it or it gets stolen, is it replaced and if so is it overnight like the Charge Card ?
  • If you purchase items with the card can you accumulate points that can be transferred to an existing Charge / C.C. on your account ?
  • What I'm interested in Rsty99 is where the advantage of using a prepaid card for personal use vs the Charge / C.C. I can see giving one to your kids where you can monitor their expenditures and fund as needed but if you could give some advantages of personal use I think many would consider the idea
12 years 6 months ago #3

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: American Express Pre-Paid Card

A recent write-up in the financial journals said this approach is the tomorrow today.

Something that isn't being discussed is the cost of processing a paper check. The "debit card" was the answer to capitalize on the efficiencies of the electronic/digital age. Now it is too expensive! Hmm... I remember when paper check processing was too costly and the debit card was the "cats meow" :sleepy: . Hmm...
12 years 6 months ago #4
  • rsty99

was created by rsty99

Has anyone used this new pre-paid card from AMEX. I asked for one and AMEX is sending me one. Thought it would be useful for family and myself when I do not want to use a regular cc or debit card. There are no fees and can fund it different ways. What was strange is I got an email confirming my application like I got when I received regular cc.

Congratulations, you're receiving the American Express® Prepaid Card. Your
Card and welcome kit will arrive in the mail shortly. Please note]

Here are a few features of your Card:
  • Can be used at millions of locations worldwide, virtually anywhere American Express Cards are accepted, including at ATMs and to shop online
  • Funds will be replaced if lost or stolen
  • Discounts and special offers from merchants nationwide
12 years 6 months ago #5