"Spouse Got Approved For Amex Plat": The Platinum Card® from American Express Review
Written by: shark6 on 2008-06-25
Spouse has had a green Amex from 2001. He was pre-approved for the Blue Clear about 2.5yrs ago for $5k, they increased it to $9k last year.
He was pre-Approved for Gold card late last year-it appeared on line when managing his other card. For the last 5mths, Amex has been sending him personal invites for the Platinum.
Finally, after receiving the 5th pre-approval letter which just required a social, dob and signature, he went on line today to pay his clear bill when he saw the pop up that he had been approved for the Amex Platinum.
He clicked and accepted and after putting in more info that was required than on the mail in pre-approval i. E home/work#, dob, social#, he was approved.
I can tell you that his WAMU PFICO is 687. He has a mortgage and a line of credit. All of his cars has been paid off. His utilization rate for his other cards are probably around 30% or less. He is not a charger.
The perks are the following:
- Free companion airline ticket up to $299 4xs a year from 6 major airlines
- Admission for self, spouse and kids under 21 or 2 friends at AA Admirals club, or Delta Crown Room club or NW Airlines Worldclubs
- Personalized travel service from platinum Travel Service
- Preferential treatment at Fine Hotels and Resorts throughout the world i. E complimentary services such as a room upgrade upon check in, daily continental breakfast for two each day of stay, guaranteed 4pm late check out, also receive an additional amenity which varies by property such as a food and beverage credit, a round of golf or a afternoon tea for two
- Exclusive privileges aboard world-class cruise lines such as sail for 6days or longer with one of our cruise line partners and enjoy a complimentary Cruise Privileges Program benefits i. E including a $300 per stateroom shipboard credit or a two category upgrade plus other special amenities on 8 participating cruise lines.
- Complimentary membership in 3 premier car rental programs comp. Enrollment in the expedited services of 3 premium car rental partners: Avis, Hertz, National, receive special courtesies such as express services and upgrades based on availability
- Travel security
- Premium Global Assist Hotline to provide medical, legal, financial or other emergency assist., ie. E Visa/passport help, cash access, Travel Accident Insurance up to $500k in AD&D insurance when entire fare charged to the card
- Refined Rewards. Enrollment in award winning rewards program
Retail benefits with Neiman Marcus Incircle Program, Bergdorf Goodman Incircle Program
- Concierge Service to book conference room, deliver gift, locating a rare fine etc
Reservations at top restaurants - Platinum Dining Reservations Program
- Exclusive access to once in a lifetime experiences
We haven't received the card yet but will update once received. We opted not to get a companion card for me as it would cost another $175 fees and we think that $450 is high enough although we figure if you travel at least 2-3xs a year, t he card will pay for itself.
It seems that one must have a pre-existing relationship with AMEX, have their other cards and have a FICO over 675 at least.