Gas at $4 / gallon

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

FrugalFran wrote: We are in the $2.50s in Pennsylvania. Since I'm traveling back and forth to Ohio this year, I've become familiar with their prices, too, and it's strange in the Buckeye State. I've seen prices as low as $2.09 and as high as $2.50. That's a huge discrepancy and I don't quite understand it.

Georgia is 2.30s. I hope gas never gets back to $4 / gallon!
6 years 10 months ago #1

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

We are in the $2.50s in Pennsylvania. Since I'm traveling back and forth to Ohio this year, I've become familiar with their prices, too, and it's strange in the Buckeye State. I've seen prices as low as $2.09 and as high as $2.50. That's a huge discrepancy and I don't quite understand it.
6 years 11 months ago #2

Replied by Lexie on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

We are at $2.11 as of yesterday. I'll bet the closer it gets to the 4th of July, prices will go up again. We usually can't move here during the week before, the week of and the week after the 4th. I am enjoying the low prices while they last. :)
6 years 11 months ago #3

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

Mine was $2.10 Wednesday. Usually as we near the tourist season they like to rip us off ;(
6 years 11 months ago #4

Wow, that is really weird, Lexie. I wonder if the local powers that be have the ability to lower prices to encourage more tourism. I doubt it, but it is so odd that your prices are going down at a time when everyone else is going up.
6 years 11 months ago #5

I really don't know how they determine gas prices. I live on an island and you would think as tourist season heats up prices would go up. You know....captive audience. However, gas prices have dropped 6 cents on the gallon in the past week. We are at $2.13 at the present time. :unsure:
6 years 11 months ago #6

Goldbug wrote: It's not just Washington that affects gas prices, it is OPEC and overseas supplies. If gas prices overseas go up because overseas suppliers are restricting supply, then it becomes more profitable for oil companies to ship overseas, and prices here will go up here until it is profitable for them to sell again. Prices are stable at the moment but with the mess in the Middle East I just hope they stay that way.

That's what I was trying to say, but you put a more educated spin on it. :cheer:

We're getting a little too close to the $3.00 mark for my liking. I think I paid almost $2.60 the other day and that's just too darn much. I hate this time of year when prices skyrocket.
6 years 11 months ago #7

Replied by Goldbug on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

It's not just Washington that affects gas prices, it is OPEC and overseas supplies. If gas prices overseas go up because overseas suppliers are restricting supply, then it becomes more profitable for oil companies to ship overseas, and prices here will go up here until it is profitable for them to sell again. Prices are stable at the moment but with the mess in the Middle East I just hope they stay that way.
6 years 11 months ago #8

It's my understanding that our Gulf Coast refineries export about two thirds of what goes through them. So, if that stays staus quo once the Keystone is built, a lot of it will be sold. That said, I've heard some experts say that even if we kept it, it wouldn't help much with our gas prices since that is largely dictated by a global market.
6 years 11 months ago #9

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

Depending on which pipeline is being referred to, I believe the one running from the Canadian Border to the Gulf of Mexico is to ship product overseas. In my mind it would not help the consumers at all.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 11 months ago #10

Replied by Curry on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

The station I go to just hiked their price from $2.39 to $2.49 in one day. I don't think Washington has much of an effect on prices, and the new pipeline won't have much effect either.

I hope I'm wrong though.
6 years 11 months ago #11

Since the new administration has taken over our gas prices have hovered between $2.00 and $2.20 per gallon. How do you think the new pipeline will affect prices here in the US?
6 years 11 months ago #12

Oil is still hovering to low levels so we should not see gas prices sky rocket for at least the near term.
7 years 1 month ago #13

I doubt we'll see a significant hike at the tanks until next summer. I'm in Pennsylvania and I think our gas is around $2.30 to $2.40 a gallon. I drove from here to Colorado in the fall and it was so nice to drive through the Midwest where gas prices were much cheaper.
7 years 3 months ago #14

Oil prices have increased this last few months, but in general there is still a ton of supply. I do not see gas at $4/gallon for some time.
7 years 3 months ago #15