how have the internet impacted your life?

Replied by CentsibleSaver on topic It's good and bad

FrugalFran wrote: Between work and general communication, I find the internet unavoidable (as much as I would love to detach from it!). My husband and I were talking recently about switching back to flip phones, but he is not allowed to due to his job. I can't believe we live in a day and age where your job dictates the type of phone you have to have. How I long for a good ol' rotary dial!

Yes, the internet definitely changed work. Now I'm always "on". It's absolutely expected too. And forget vacation or sick days. Sure, you can take them, but you better answer email and check in often.

There's lots of good things that come with the internet too. I can order anything my elderly grandparents might need and have someone check on them when necessary. It makes it easier to live so far apart.
6 years 9 months ago #1

Replied by FrugalFran on topic It's good and bad

Goldbug wrote: It makes it easier to monitor finance and check my balance without a trip to the bank, and getting uptodate share prices or trading shares is a lot easier now the web is available. On the downside, it means being aware of security all the time, and keeping a close eye on credit cards in case someone clones one.

This is where the internet has made me very lazy. I couldn't imagine having to get in my car and drive to the bank to take care of business the old fashioned way. These days, I get frustrated if I even have to call the bank or credit card companies because I'd rather handle everything online.
6 years 9 months ago #2

Replied by FrankN on topic It's good and bad

Goldbug wrote: It makes it easier to monitor finance and check my balance without a trip to the bank, and getting uptodate share prices or trading shares is a lot easier now the web is available. On the downside, it means being aware of security all the time, and keeping a close eye on credit cards in case someone clones one.

Agreed on both fronts. I am able to monitor my personal finances on a daily or weekly basis. I would not be able to do that without the internet. I also do expose myself to financial hacking since most of my finances are online.
6 years 10 months ago #3

Replied by Goldbug on topic It's good and bad

It makes it easier to monitor finance and check my balance without a trip to the bank, and getting uptodate share prices or trading shares is a lot easier now the web is available. On the downside, it means being aware of security all the time, and keeping a close eye on credit cards in case someone clones one.
6 years 11 months ago #4

Replied by Wanderer on topic how have the internet impacted your life?

MIKEJ have had the scenario you described. Lived on a lake for ten years with few neighbors. The lack of outside resources and internet is not what it is cracked up to be. Live by the Superior National Forest now and we finally have high speed up to 100mhz available. The old dial up does not work with the modern world. Can't even bank on line with it. Did give up the rat race of the urban life however and that is great!
7 years 1 month ago #5

Replied by FrankN on topic how have the internet impacted your life?

I hope it never comes to that MIKEJ!!!
7 years 1 month ago #6

Replied by MikeJ on topic how have the internet impacted your life?

I love the Internet and use it extensively in most parts of my daily life. However, I'd gladly give it all up to live in a remote cabin somewhere in the mountains, next to a lake. Of course, this is in an "end of the world" scenario; I wouldn't really be that devastated if I had no choice in giving up the Internet but I'd rather have it than not have it.
7 years 3 months ago #7

Replied by FrankN on topic how have the internet impacted your life?

I would have to say the internet has impacted me very positively. There are obvious downsides, but in general I could not live without it.
7 years 3 months ago #8

Replied by MidSouthGal on topic how have the internet impacted your life?

I am from the Oregon Trail Generation. I know how to use an index catalogue in a library, and I kind of miss it. But the internet has changed my life. I'm an introvert, for one I would have had to socialize way more with people.
7 years 3 months ago #9

Replied by Moneyes on topic It's good

FrugalFran wrote: Yes, the hacking has definitely been one of the inconveniences of the internet. I also don't like the dependence most of us have on it because it makes me wonder what we'll do if something ever collapses the global connection we have become accustomed to. That may sound apocalyptic, but I don't think it's impossible.

No, it's not impossible, and the impact would depend on the generation. Meaning that the kids who grew up with this........they'll be at a standstill for awhile. Us old timers who grew up without it will know how to function better.
7 years 4 months ago #10

Replied by FrugalFran on topic It's good

Yes, the hacking has definitely been one of the inconveniences of the internet. I also don't like the dependence most of us have on it because it makes me wonder what we'll do if something ever collapses the global connection we have become accustomed to. That may sound apocalyptic, but I don't think it's impossible.
7 years 5 months ago #11

Replied by Raina on topic It's good

I hardly remember a time when I wasn't using the internet. I love it but I also have a family of computer wizards, so computers and the internet are our lives. It's made everything easy for me since I work days. I can now do most things online and saves me from running around after work. It's made me dependent on it which is probably not a good thing.
7 years 5 months ago #12

Replied by Medi on topic It's good and bad

FrugalFran wrote: Between work and general communication, I find the internet unavoidable (as much as I would love to detach from it!). My husband and I were talking recently about switching back to flip phones, but he is not allowed to due to his job. I can't believe we live in a day and age where your job dictates the type of phone you have to have. How I long for a good ol' rotary dial!

We also wouldn't have to worry about hacking-related problems with the current smartphones. I remember that rich people in some movies I watch prefer to use the old phones because they are safer. We no longer have the time to do everything manually. That's where internet comes in, and it completely won us over.
7 years 5 months ago #13

Replied by Wanderer on topic It's good and bad

Great points. Would love to disconnect yet there are times when you can't beat it. So ... I try to control my utilization.
7 years 5 months ago #14

Replied by FrugalFran on topic It's good and bad

Between work and general communication, I find the internet unavoidable (as much as I would love to detach from it!). My husband and I were talking recently about switching back to flip phones, but he is not allowed to due to his job. I can't believe we live in a day and age where your job dictates the type of phone you have to have. How I long for a good ol' rotary dial!
7 years 5 months ago #15