Stock Valuations

Replied by FrankN on topic Stock Valuations

Diversity helps in this day and age. Its hard to pick the winners and losers and volatility happens quicker than historically. In theory diversity of your investment portfolio helps reduce this risk.
6 years 8 months ago #1

Replied by Lexie on topic Stock Valuations

Thank for that honest answer Wanderer. I keep watching the "biggies" of today also. Before bankruptcy we had a fairly nice stock portfolio and are looking to do so again. We managed to retain some of our shares in Sirius and BB&T but they seem to have topped out at the present time. It's just a wait and see game isn't it?
6 years 8 months ago #2

Replied by Wanderer on topic Stock Valuations

You pose an interesting question! What I recall looking back over life since the '50's ... companies I thought would never go away are dying like they have a disease. Example Sears another company that was solid IBM. Today, it seems even the old tried and solid are challenged by the new. So ... when I might have said naw they will be around forever but, I can't really say that with anything anymore. Things move fast and bang something else is new. Quantam Processing Computers are being tested (interesting chip design) and then we had the threat of computers that would use laser light rather than magnetic field and 1 x 0's. In truth, the only thing I am sure of is that I am not sure :)
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 8 months ago #3

Replied by JGibbs on topic Stock Valuations

Do you think the bubble will ever burst on the big five - Apple, Macintosh, Facebook, Amazon, or Google? Can they go up forever? I've never picked one specific stock to hustle, but now I'm wondering if things have changed and it might be smarter to do so than investing in a mutual fund.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 8 months ago #4

Goldbug wrote:

FrankN wrote: What kind of dividend yield/% are you getting?

Between 5% and 7% dividend yield, and if you know shares you can probably guess what I'm holding from that. It isn't exciting, but it is better than I'd get in a bank.

Not exciting, but agreed great yields. I would be very happy with that.
6 years 10 months ago #5

Replied by Goldbug on topic Stock Valuations

FrankN wrote: What kind of dividend yield/% are you getting?

Between 5% and 7% dividend yield, and if you know shares you can probably guess what I'm holding from that. It isn't exciting, but it is better than I'd get in a bank.
6 years 10 months ago #6

Goldbug wrote: I hold several utilities as a backbone of my portfolio. It mainly focuses on electric, with some gas and water. They aren't the most exciting shares, but they are stable and give regular dividends as an income. I'm hoping they will keep doing that once I am retired.

What kind of dividend yield/% are you getting?
6 years 11 months ago #7

I hold several utilities as a backbone of my portfolio. It mainly focuses on electric, with some gas and water. They aren't the most exciting shares, but they are stable and give regular dividends as an income. I'm hoping they will keep doing that once I am retired.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Goldbug.
6 years 11 months ago #8

Replied by Wanderer on topic Stock Valuations

Since you like dividends have you considered adding utilities to your portfolio? Often not exciting but tend to stay more stable in the market and pay a steady income stream.
6 years 11 months ago #9

I prefer long term buy-and-hold on income shares. Most of my portfolio rode out the last crash OK and kept producing dividends, and that's what I am after. As long as the income stays steady, I'm not so worried about the share price unless I'm looking to buy more. Then I want it lower.
6 years 11 months ago #10

Replied by Moneyes on topic Stock Valuations

FrankN wrote: Mostly what you read online shows bullish attitudes towards 2017 so it could definitely continue

See, that's the thing. All the media has to do is tell people something is bullish and they act accordingly. People need to remember that the stock market is fueled by speculation. That's it. It's a risky proposition as soon as you step through the door, no matter how Blue Chip or conservative you are.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Moneyes.
6 years 11 months ago #11

Replied by Lexie on topic Stock Valuations

The stock market has indeed been interesting to watch. We have a few shares here and there and have watched them plummet during the Obama administration. We like the rise now and hope it continues. Our rule of thumb for our small investments was "if you can't afford to lose it, don't play the market."
6 years 11 months ago #12

I agree this is a scary time and p/e ratios are almost as high as they have ever been. Mostly what you read online shows bullish attitudes towards 2017 so it could definitely continue, but if you are risk adverse, I would stay away.
7 years 3 months ago #13

Replied by Moneyes on topic Stock Valuations

This is an interesting time to play Wall Street. Ever since America knew Trump won, the stock market has been rising. This can't can't be a coincidence. The market is driven by speculation, so Trump's initial actions better be positive in nature so the market can speculate that there will be more of the same.

But I wouldn't buy in right now. I would wait until the end of the first fiscal quarter of '17. Speculations will be high for the coming year and Trump will be sworn in.
7 years 3 months ago #14
  • Finance Globe
  • Finance Globe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Stock Valuations

I think that taking profits from this ride up would be practical. However, unfortunately greed can be a powerful thing, and I believe that the market tops when the greed is overpowered by reality. Reality will not be kind.

Rates are now starting to rise, and this is long overdue. IMHO, the FED waited too long to raise. There will be so many disruptions due to the artificial economic environment that was created. Trump has some good ideas, but nothing has happened yet, I find it hard to believe that he will have good cooperation, even from his fellow Republicans on his agenda.
7 years 3 months ago #15