The DNC list, does it really work at all?

Replied by Lexie on topic The DNC list, does it really work at all?

And that really works Wanderer. When we had a land line at home, we gave that number out to all but our closest friends and relatives. With caller ID, we then chose whether or not to answer that phone. Most time, we did not.
6 years 5 months ago #1

Replied by Wanderer on topic The DNC list, does it really work at all?

Actually Joker, your idea of a throw away telephone number is comparable to having an e-mail account you use when reaching out in the world of marketing etc so you do NOT clog up your numbers that you really need for your use.
6 years 6 months ago #2

Replied by Moneyes on topic The DNC list, does it really work at all?

Not to split hairs, but that is a notification, not a text. That is how they get around the privacy laws.

It's good for the business owner, but not the average joe just going about his day.
6 years 6 months ago #3

Replied by JGibbs on topic The DNC list, does it really work at all?

It looks like marketing texts are about to get worse as new MLMs have been created to hawk bluetooth proximity marketing. It's a marriage made in hell - multi-level marketing and unsolicited advertising.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLM/comments/6exnw3/have_you_guys_seen_this_asirvia_thing/
http://mlm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50012&p=367650
http://mlm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50072
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 6 months ago #4

Replied by JGibbs on topic The DNC list, does it really work at all?

There are just so many exclusions to the rule that it's not as robust as it should be. Charities are allowed to call to solicit donations and so are companies that you've done prior business with or given permission to. Bill collectors are allowed to hound you too, so long as they stop when you send them a cease and desist letter. The phone calls are allowed even if the debt isn't yours, but they are looking for the person and happen to have your number. You can register your cell phone number for the same do not call list, but I don't know if it's supposed to work for text messages.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0133-cell-phones-and-do-not-call-registry
6 years 7 months ago #5

Replied by Lexie on topic The DNC list, does it really work at all?

Do you have caller ID Joker? I am in the habit of not answering a call if I don't know who it's from. If it is important they can leave a message and I will call back. No message? I block that number from coming in. It's working pretty good.
6 years 7 months ago #6

Replied by Pinky on topic The DNC list, does it really work at all?

Thanks, Wanderer & Joker! This was some really good information. I was on that list at one time but that was many years ago when it was first opened. Now that you guys have mentioned it, I will effort that again. I totally get too many text & phone unwanted solicitations. Like you said, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained".
6 years 8 months ago #7

The "Text" thing is one I was not aware of and now I will really have to be careful not to start something on that. In my reading on how to keep your identity secure, one suggestion follows your comment and that is to have a phone with a telephone number etc that you use for your contact and on line internet activities so as to keep your regular life personal and out of the public realm. Related to your question on the DNC list I can't say ... however, it is a starting place and if it helps you just saved yourself some grief. If my memory is correct you can post land lines and mobile numbers in it and the DNC listing is good for five years. I took the posture "nothing ventured nothing gained" and put all my numbers in the DNC System hoping it might help and I let businesses that I do get contacts from (that I did NOT do business with) know I am on the DNC list and get me off of their list!
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 8 months ago #8
  • Joker
  • Joker's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Joker on topic The DNC list, does it really work at all?

Thanks for that information, Wanderer. I already utilize my phones ability to speak the name that is calling or it will say "unknown number" or repeat the number itself. If a name on my contact list doesn't come up, I don't answer. I also get an inordinate amount of texts from unknown sales men. They all say that you can simply reply and say "stop" but I can never get that to go through to the reply address. Oh, woe is me! I really feel like switching numbers. Or just have one phone to give out when using the web and the other for people I actually know.
6 years 8 months ago #9

Well I will say there is the Federal "National Do Not Call Registry" that we can place our telephone numbers on and companies are suppose to utilize. Note, the real world finds many companies ignoring the National Do Not Call Registry as the Feds don't have the resources to track all the complaints and the company callers know this. Not to make your life more unpleasant, companies you have done business with get the right to contact you so letting them know what your privacy requirements can eliminate some of the calls and related 3rd party calls created by them selling your name and number (I did this). Also, I contacted my 501c3's that I donate to and told them to get me off their various lists that they sell to other 501c3's or loose my donation (they sold their donation lists to many). It takes patience but I called every credit card company, bank and charitable organization and made them remove my name and number. It took time but now I probably don't get five calls a week. To go on, I use "Caller ID" and if I don't recognize the telephone number I don't bother to answer. Try this ... my phone rings and my name and telephone number comes up on caller ID. The companies and scammers are using some modern technology to spoof the telephone equipment. Sorry for the long write up but I found it took many steps to stop the calls and with auto-dialers nothing is fool proof.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 8 months ago #10
  • Joker
  • Joker's Avatar Topic Author

The DNC list, does it really work at all? was created by Joker

I get so many unsolicited offers by phone that it is ridiculous. I've already ignored 15 calls today that are nothing but either automated sales calls or companies trying to sell something. Does anyone know where to go to sign up? How effective is it? Do you use it? Somebody, please respond, I really need the help!
6 years 8 months ago #11