How to invest in your employees

Replied by FrankN on topic How to invest in your employees

Lexie wrote:

FrankN wrote: I would say it needs to be a mix of financial incentives and the ability to allow a personal life.

I had not thought of cash incentives. Folks will surely work for more money. Gift cards, amusement park tickets and trips would all work. These sound expensive but when you consider the employers cost of health insurance and pension, they don't sound too bad do they?

I used to work for a large corporation and they offered little bonuses/gift cards ($50) when you "went the extra mile". Even though it was small, I think it helped a bit.
6 years 6 months ago #1

Replied by Lexie on topic How to invest in your employees

FrankN wrote: I would say it needs to be a mix of financial incentives and the ability to allow a personal life.

I had not thought of cash incentives. Folks will surely work for more money. Gift cards, amusement park tickets and trips would all work. These sound expensive but when you consider the employers cost of health insurance and pension, they don't sound too bad do they?
6 years 7 months ago #2

Replied by FrankN on topic How to invest in your employees

I would say it needs to be a mix of financial incentives and the ability to allow a personal life.
6 years 7 months ago #3

These are good points Joker but can an employer follow through on these without giving benefits? If an employee is part time by choice, then yes. If he/she is part time because that's all they could get, then no. As a aside: regardless the situation, the more valued I felt by my employer, the more loyalty I felt towards them.
6 years 7 months ago #4
  • Joker
  • Joker's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Joker on topic How to invest in your employees

A few year ago, I worked for a lady investment advisor. She was very well-to-do and looked it! Her plan of action to keep her valued employee (me) was to give me incentives toward trips that she planned and paid for. I got one good one about every 3 months if all my work was on time and correct. It did make me want to please the boss and I liked the company, but in the end, I'm sure she felt like she wasted her money when I left.
6 years 8 months ago #5

What I am seeing in my area is more part time employees and less full time just so the employer does not have to pay benefits. A part time person doesn't have the option of health insurance, 401ks, or stock options. Great for the employer but not so good for the employee. Also promotes larger turnovers. It's not a good situation out there right now.
6 years 8 months ago #6
  • Joker

Replied by Joker on topic How to invest in your employees

Yes, I agree with you there. These days the loyal employee is a thing of the past. Most of the younger workers trade jobs about every three years regardless of incentives. They say that it is the only way to move up in their industry - that is such a shame for employers who could value the loyal employee.
6 years 8 months ago #7

Replied by Wanderer on topic How to invest in your employees

Now following on what you just wrote, how does an employer invest in the employees and keep them. Unlike the "old days" where there was employee/employer loyalty it seems more take what you can get and run. In my view ... most unfortunate for all.
6 years 8 months ago #8
  • Joker

How to invest in your employees was created by Joker

More skilled and better-motivated teams will give you a better ROI. There are some different things you can do to invest in your employees:
1. Weekly recognition
2. Team building
3. Invest in technology
4. Make room for advancement
5. Investing in education
These are key to making happy employees and keeping good employees. Never doubt the use of your funds to have more skilled and better motivated employees.
6 years 8 months ago #9