Home Improvement Loan

Replied by FrankN on topic Home Improvement Loan

JacksonM wrote: I get the impression this guy is used to dealing with people who want the works and plan to stay in their homes for a long time. I'm not that person. In reality, just the shower needs to be replaced, but I thought I'd try to update some of the less-than-appealing 80's cabinetry as well. The process continues to get more (better) quotes.

How many quotes did you or plan to get?
6 years 2 months ago #1
  • JacksonM
  • JacksonM's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by JacksonM on topic Home Improvement Loan

I get the impression this guy is used to dealing with people who want the works and plan to stay in their homes for a long time. I'm not that person. In reality, just the shower needs to be replaced, but I thought I'd try to update some of the less-than-appealing 80's cabinetry as well. The process continues to get more (better) quotes.
6 years 3 months ago #2

Replied by FrankN on topic Home Improvement Loan

JacksonM wrote: Now that I've done more research I'm worried about the cost in general. According to various sources, 10% of the home's value is the recommendation for redoing the master bathroom. My home, though nice and in a decent area, is a small townhouse so it doesn't hold a ton of value, at least not enough to justify the quote I was given. Now I'm starting to see the frustrations of being a homeowner!

I hear you. I got a quote to replace the windows and I almost fainted!
6 years 3 months ago #3
  • JacksonM

Replied by JacksonM on topic Home Improvement Loan

Now that I've done more research I'm worried about the cost in general. According to various sources, 10% of the home's value is the recommendation for redoing the master bathroom. My home, though nice and in a decent area, is a small townhouse so it doesn't hold a ton of value, at least not enough to justify the quote I was given. Now I'm starting to see the frustrations of being a homeowner!
6 years 3 months ago #4

Replied by Moneyes on topic Home Improvement Loan

Go the home equity loan route. Taking money from that to do upgrades that will help your home "function" better, will in turn add even more equity to your home.
6 years 3 months ago #5
  • JacksonM

Home Improvement Loan was created by JacksonM

To prevent additional damage to my home, I have to renovate part of the master bathroom. Since some of the other fixtures are dated I was looking at redoing the whole thing. I don't want to wipe out my savings in order to cover the cost so I started looking into loan options. Has anyone taken an additional loan for home improvement? Did you do a home equity loan or a personal loan?
6 years 3 months ago #6