EQUIFAX Data Breach

• Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Wanderer on topic EQUIFAX Data Breach

:white-flag: What is the dark web?

While the deep web merely refers to websites that aren’t indexed by search engines, the dark web is generally made up of sites that require anonymizing software like Tor to access. It is used by people suffering under in foreign countries, but it also may hosts site dedicated to illegal activities, such as the sale of stolen data, drugs, or weapons.

Simple discussion on the dark web. Note, Discover Card offers a deep web monitor for those who may be interested at no charge. Also, there may be other providers that would give you the service too.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Wanderer.
5 years 11 months ago #1

Replied by FrankN on topic EQUIFAX Data Breach

I recently saw an advertisement that Equifax was offering credit monitoring for the "deep web". Has anyone purchased this service, I am very curious how that works.
6 years 21 hours ago #2

Agreed 100% I haven't used Equifax since and don't plan to use their services going forward.
6 years 4 months ago #3
  • Wanderer

As you may remember the old adage about the "Fox and the Hen House"? Seems anything from Equifax should be looked at with a careful eye! How could we trust Equifax after all that has happened and the Equifax Executives were found not guilty of any stock selling violations! Hmm ... sure makes me wonder?
6 years 4 months ago #4

Replied by JGibbs on topic EQUIFAX Data Breach

JacksonM wrote:

JGibbs wrote:

JacksonM wrote: and when nothing comes of it, it's easy to see it as just another notice.

Unfortunately, I do know someone whose identity was stolen, and it took years to get everything straightened out. I'm not sure how she became a target or what started it initially. It happened sometime back before news of these hacks became a regular thing.

I'm sorry to hear that happened. A person has to feel violated.
I've noticed an uptick in commercials that claim to protect against identity theft. Not just Lifelock either, Equifax had their own commercial for the same protection racket.

6 years 4 months ago #5

Replied by JacksonM on topic EQUIFAX Data Breach

JGibbs wrote:

JacksonM wrote: and when nothing comes of it, it's easy to see it as just another notice.

For me the outrage isn't that it happened, it's how the executives handled it after the fact. That's what sets them apart from the other instances to me.

You raise a good point though about nothing coming from these hacks. I've received notices in the past and nothing came from it. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone in real life who's had their data stolen from one of these hacks and had it affect them long term. So how do we get from these hacks to real identity theft?

I'm not sure how the hacks translate into real identity theft. I'm especially glad it hasn't proven to be an issue. Unfortunately, I do know someone whose identity was stolen, and it took years to get everything straightened out. I'm not sure how she became a target or what started it initially. It happened sometime back before news of these hacks became a regular thing.
6 years 4 months ago #6

It is also crazy this just passed. It will make it more difficult to sue financial firms like Equifax.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gop-roll-back-obama-arbitration-rule-2017-10
6 years 5 months ago #7

For me the outrage isn't that it happened, it's how the executives handled it after the fact. That's what sets them apart from the other instances to me.

You raise a good point though about nothing coming from these hacks. I've received notices in the past and nothing came from it. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone in real life who's had their data stolen from one of these hacks and had it affect them long term. So how do we get from these hacks to real identity theft?

Apparently we'd all better watch out. I'm not sure what to make of that article by the cointelegraph. It's been about a month though. Anything happen?
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 5 months ago #8

Replied by Lexie on topic EQUIFAX Data Breach

Wanderer wrote: For those of you who might be interested, I offer the following list of credit and information gathers that appear in our lives on a more regular basis (note this is NOT all there is). Should you desire to place a Security Credit Freezes this list equals a start: Experian, Equifax, Trans Union, LexisNexis (used in the insurance industry), Innovis, Sage Stream, Chex Systems, IDA, ARS as starters. They do not all accept requests for security credit freezes on line but rather rely on mail and fax (isn't this old school?). You will likely be required to send in proof of who you (identity) are and that may include a driver license/ID Card with picture, US Passport photo page, copy of a utility bill, insurance declaration page or other related type documents. When I froze them they followed back with a letter and pin number which took up to two plus weeks to receive. The US Treasury Department "Social Security" Agency has introduced a additional method of security in addition to the three they have now to further restrict access (short of not allowing most any form of account access). It is a nuisance but I check all my accounts and banks daily (it is a ritual now) as I don't trust anybody and surely not a telephone call!!! Get hit with SCAMMERS virtually every day. Be careful that when pursuing any form of anything these days you are working with an authentic website as the crooks have been reported placing look a like websites for us to use and then they grab our information off of them. Good luck as you consider your options for security. Note, Equifax has added another 2.5 million accounts to the already reported 143 million. So glad we live in the modern age :)

Good information Wanderer. Thank you. I would like to toss in a thought about emails. Scammers are so good these days they can make an email look like the authentic company. ie PayPal. "We notice there has been some suspicious activity on your account. Click here and we will help resolve the issue." NEVER< EVER CLICK HERE. Always go to the official website and check your account. I just used PayPal as an example. There are others I have received with a similar message. Just always be careful.
6 years 5 months ago #9

Replied by JacksonM on topic EQUIFAX Data Breach

Finance Globe wrote: Breaches in our era have become more common - giving that numbed reaction that we are seeing. However this one exposes so much more info than most people dare to imagine or admit.

The commonality of it does make people desensitized. Various institutions, from hospitals to stores to my college, have sent me notices of a possible breach of my information over the years. Honestly, there's not a whole lot you can do when it happens, and when nothing comes of it, it's easy to see it as just another notice.
6 years 5 months ago #10

Replied by Finance Globe on topic EQUIFAX Data Breach

Breaches in our era have become more common - giving that numbed reaction that we are seeing. However this one exposes so much more info than most people dare to imagine or admit.
6 years 5 months ago #11

Wanderer wrote: Your findings would find mine matching. People talk about it as if it was "too bad" and then "oh well" and don't seemed concerned.

I swear the latest iphone has gotten more public attention than this huge violation. We've become completely docile human beings. :white-flag:
I don't remember Target having it this easy in 2013 after their hacked data breach.
6 years 5 months ago #12

I completely agree. I think if Equifax, as a company, is able to continue after this huge huge error, I would be shocked and thoroughly disappointed.
6 years 5 months ago #13
  • Wanderer

Your findings would find mine matching. People talk about it as if it was "too bad" and then "oh well" and don't seemed concerned. Surprises me. My neighbors don't seem bothered by it at all. Personally, they should jail all the top executives of Equifax and seize their personal assets to be used as compensation for people's losses. Also, shut Equifax down and add Wells Fargo Bank to the list (we would find other banks to bank with). The world will back fill for the losses of these great institutions and move on :)
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 5 months ago #14

Thanks for sharing, Wanderer. I'm surprised at how the public is taking it. Not many seem to care at all. I didn't think the operators would be in real criminal trouble, but I thought the public might howl for a lynching. After a couple of days, though, it all died down in my neck of the woods. The media doesn't seem to be concerned with it either. What do you all think? Is there more outrage and interest where you are?
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 5 months ago #15