Paper or Plastic?

Replied by JacksonM on topic Paper or Plastic

Reusable bags became a necessity for me in college when I lived in a second-floor apartment. Even though I didn't buy much, there always seemed to be twice as many as I needed. Lugging them upstairs was difficult and I refused to make that second trip. Most of the time I only needed two of the reusable bags per shopping trip. I could throw one over each shoulder and make the trek without an issue.

I've kept up with reusable bags now simply because I hate the plastic ones. They're like rabbits and seem to multiply when I'm not looking. If I end up with them, some become trash bags and the rest hit the recycling on my next trip to the store.

A few bags live in my car in case I forget or make an impromptu trip.
6 years 3 months ago #1

Replied by Lexie on topic Paper or Plastic

Pinky wrote: I prefer paper bags because they are biodegradable. There are some drawbacks to them, however. A pest control expert told me once that you can get infested with roaches that hide and lay eggs in paper bags so they need to be disposed of immediately. Plastic is necessary can be re-used as was mentioned before. The cloth ones are nice and if something spills, they can be washed.

EWEEEEEE Pinky. I never knew this. I know that you can bring roaches in the house in bags of potatoes but never knew they would use paper bags for nests so to speak. I'll continue to use my cloth bags from now on. At least I can toss them in the wash.
6 years 3 months ago #2

Replied by FrankN on topic Paper or Plastic

Joker wrote: I also hear that bugs can lay eggs in old egg cartons, paper bags, and who knows what else. You just have to handle that stuff carefully in order to get the benefits without the infestations. I use plastic bags (like Wal-mart bags) for my bathroom trash can. Works nicely.

I had never heard that before! I do the same thing for the plastic bags.
6 years 4 months ago #3

Replied by JGibbs on topic paper or plastic - reusable bags

Lexie wrote: I have also learned how to cut them apart and make rugs and mats out of them.

How do you make this? I'm impressed at the way folks manage to repurpose items. My creativity only goes as far as creating cat forts out of Amazon boxes. I have to say I like the reusable bags too, because they are tough. I hate shopping and with these I can stash tons of groceries in one bag and get out in no time. And with no fear of having the handles rip or the bag tear apart halfway across the parking lot.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 4 months ago #4

Replied by Joker on topic Paper or Plastic

I also hear that bugs can lay eggs in old egg cartons, paper bags, and who knows what else. You just have to handle that stuff carefully in order to get the benefits without the infestations. I use plastic bags (like Wal-mart bags) for my bathroom trash can. Works nicely.
6 years 4 months ago #5

Replied by Pinky on topic Paper or Plastic

I prefer paper bags because they are biodegradable. There are some drawbacks to them, however. A pest control expert told me once that you can get infested with roaches that hide and lay eggs in paper bags so they need to be disposed of immediately. Plastic is necessary can be re-used as was mentioned before. The cloth ones are nice and if something spills, they can be washed.
6 years 7 months ago #6

Replied by FrankN on topic paper or plastic - reusable bags

haha Good to know. Maybe I will get some!
6 years 8 months ago #7

Replied by Lexie on topic paper or plastic - reusable bags

FrankN wrote:

Lexie wrote: I like reusable bags when I can remember to take them with me. Otherwise I get plastic and reuse them in my trash cans. I have also learned how to cut them apart and make rugs and mats out of them. Paper is a good alternative but paper comes from trees and that's not good either. Reusable bags is definitely the way to go.

What kind of resusable bags do you use?

I like the cloth ones FrankN. My husband says I am the original bag lady so I have plenty. Most stores have ones that you can buy for $.50 or $1.00. They're sturdy and very reusable.
6 years 9 months ago #8

Replied by FrankN on topic paper or plastic - reusable bags

Lexie wrote: I like reusable bags when I can remember to take them with me. Otherwise I get plastic and reuse them in my trash cans. I have also learned how to cut them apart and make rugs and mats out of them. Paper is a good alternative but paper comes from trees and that's not good either. Reusable bags is definitely the way to go.

What kind of resusable bags do you use?
6 years 11 months ago #9

Replied by Lexie on topic paper or plastic - reusable bags

I like reusable bags when I can remember to take them with me. Otherwise I get plastic and reuse them in my trash cans. I have also learned how to cut them apart and make rugs and mats out of them. Paper is a good alternative but paper comes from trees and that's not good either. Reusable bags is definitely the way to go.
6 years 11 months ago #10

Replied by Raina on topic paper or plastic - reusable bags

A lot of stores are now selling reusable bags and we've stocked up on them. I find they hold a lot more than a plastic bag and are a lot sturdier. Occasionally I use plastic if I've forgotten the bags at home.
7 years 5 months ago #11

Replied by Breakinger on topic Paper or plastic?

FrugalFran wrote: As I said, it's a necessity. We don't have any sort of municipal trash collection here, so people burn everything that will burn, compost what will decay, and then we store recyclables and take a two hour drive a couple times a year to drop them off.

That must be really hard not having trash pick up and living so far away. I know some people that have to do this too but they opt for paper bags instead. Maybe you could switch to paper and that way it won't be so harmful to you.
7 years 6 months ago #12

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Paper or plastic?

djames wrote: I hope you're not burning the plastic bags. That releases major toxins into the air. I have switched to reusable bags, for the most part. I also reuse any plastic bags I do get as trash bags for small cans like in the bathroom or bedrooms.

As I said, it's a necessity. We don't have any sort of municipal trash collection here, so people burn everything that will burn, compost what will decay, and then we store recyclables and take a two hour drive a couple times a year to drop them off.
7 years 11 months ago #13

Replied by Egghead on topic Paper or plastic?

The reason they give you so many is probably because they are way too small to be useful, and are very likely to either split or have the handles snap! Perhaps this is all part of the plan to make us greener?
8 years 1 month ago #14

Replied by Breakinger on topic Paper or plastic?

I've cut down on a lot of plastic by switching to reusable bags. Plus, there is an added bonus because my local grocery store will give you three cents off for every bag you bring in and use. I just wish that when I do end up getting plastic bags that there weren't so many of them.
8 years 2 months ago #15