The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

Replied by FrugalFran on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

JGibbs wrote:

JacksonM wrote: I haven't tried edX.org. I've taken some courses through my local library's subscription to Lynda.com. I went through an Essential Wordpress course, and though some information was a repeat for me, I learned some very useful tips too. They have various IT related courses as well.

Thanks for sharing that resource! I try to learn new skills that are in demand for many employers. I love my job, but want to keep my resume modern and keep improving my skill set because I never know what might happen in the future.

I think that is a necessity these days for everyone, regardless of their current industry. The more you know and the more versatile you can be, the more desirable you are to employers. The workforce has become a scary place.
6 years 1 month ago #3

Replied by JGibbs on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

JacksonM wrote: I haven't tried edX.org. I've taken some courses through my local library's subscription to Lynda.com. I went through an Essential Wordpress course, and though some information was a repeat for me, I learned some very useful tips too. They have various IT related courses as well.

Thanks for sharing that resource! I try to learn new skills that are in demand for many employers. I love my job, but want to keep my resume modern and keep improving my skill set because I never know what might happen in the future.
6 years 2 months ago #4

Replied by JacksonM on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

JGibbs wrote: You can learn IT skills without college and get hired just the same. Edward Snowden was a high school dropout after all. I've looked into some free coding classes on the edX.org website and tried to learn Python, but it was darn boring that I kept zoning out. Programming is a major skill to have right now.

I haven't tried edX.org. I've taken some courses through my local library's subscription to Lynda.com. I went through an Essential Wordpress course, and though some information was a repeat for me, I learned some very useful tips too. They have various IT related courses as well.
6 years 2 months ago #5

You can learn IT skills without college and get hired just the same. Edward Snowden was a high school dropout after all. I've looked into some free coding classes on the edX.org website and tried to learn Python, but it was darn boring that I kept zoning out. Programming is a major skill to have right now.
6 years 2 months ago #6

Replied by Wanderer on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

In reading today there is money to be made in the IT Business (as an Employee and Freelancer/Independent Contractor) but, the industry changes so fast your skills and potentially the company you work for has to stay relevant or you may be out. Now that said, I cannot define what IT skills keep a person relevant. Was reading on this subject earlier today, the questions should I pursue the Bachelor's Degree/Master's Degree combined program? Answer was companies will hire with various education levels with relevant skills to their needs. Another words the degree of the "School of Hard Knocks" can weigh in big time along with two year vocational backgrounds. Top level corporate management might look at the Master's Degree but the actual units hiring the worker want skills and knowledge. In fact many posters recommended an internship where working in the real IT environment acquiring skills, knowledge and insight may be far better than letters after the name. Money for your thoughts
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 2 months ago #7

Moneyes wrote: There is a fine line between "Freelancer" and "Independent Contractor". I am both. The former, online, and the latter, offline. There is an important parallel here that I can draw from my own experiences that might be of help to others. . .

I am just now reading this. Thanks for taking the time to type that up and explain things so clearly. Now that a few months have passed, are you still with company A? I've used that same strategy in a full-time job before. I got a pay raise, but then the company felt like I owed them three times the work. In the end it wasn't worth it. A cheap company is a cheap company.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 2 months ago #8

Replied by FrankN on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

You definitely need to research the new tax laws as they will affect many Freelancers.
6 years 2 months ago #9

Replied by Moneyes on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

What I would do hereis not look too closely at what a particular company has to say about it if you work side hustles for 3 or 4 companies.Just get the relevant IRS publications and study up on those.
6 years 3 months ago #10

JacksonM wrote:

Joker wrote: If I'm not mistaken, if you do not break $600 from any one company, you are not required to report it and neither is the company. Many companies keep time down when hiring contract people just for that reason. They can just expense off as contract labor.

The amount I've seen is $400.

It's certainly overwhelming when you start looking into the taxing realities of freelancing. My guess is that a lot of individuals who are taking on "side hustles" these days aren't aware of it. When I've read up on the subject or looked into various possibilities, taxes were never mentioned as part of the deal.

I 100% agree most freelancers don't look into this until late in the game. It shows how difficult it is to start and live on your own (without working for a company). The taxes, fees, other expenses are insane!
6 years 5 months ago #11

Replied by JacksonM on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

Joker wrote: If I'm not mistaken, if you do not break $600 from any one company, you are not required to report it and neither is the company. Many companies keep time down when hiring contract people just for that reason. They can just expense off as contract labor.

The amount I've seen is $400.

It's certainly overwhelming when you start looking into the taxing realities of freelancing. My guess is that a lot of individuals who are taking on "side hustles" these days aren't aware of it. When I've read up on the subject or looked into various possibilities, taxes were never mentioned as part of the deal.
6 years 5 months ago #12

Wanderer wrote: FrankN thanks ... I see I did not understand this. Will pay attention for sure. Should be ok but I needed to hear this!

I wish that were the case, but unfortunately the US Gov wants their tax revenue!
6 years 5 months ago #13

Replied by Wanderer on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

FrankN thanks ... I see I did not understand this. Will pay attention for sure. Should be ok but I needed to hear this!
6 years 5 months ago #14

That may depend on how you are structured. You also have to report it if you make over $600 in aggregate. If you made $500 from one company and $4300 from another, just because they don't have to report it, doesn't mean you don't have to.
6 years 5 months ago #15

Replied by Joker on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

If I'm not mistaken, if you do not break $600 from any one company, you are not required to report it and neither is the company. Many companies keep time down when hiring contract people just for that reason. They can just expense off as contract labor.
6 years 5 months ago #16

Replied by Lexie on topic The benefits and hindrances of being a Freelancer.

Independent contracting is the way to go. The company that hires you doesn't have to worry about payroll taxes or benefits. That all falls on the contractor. Then all the corporation has to be concerned with is that 1099 at the end of the year.
6 years 5 months ago #17