The Role Of the Federal Government

Replied by FrankN on topic The Role Of the Federal Government

Wanderer wrote: A quick way to find credit unions is go to Bauer Financial and click on the Credit Unions Tab and then click on your state ... that will get you to those in your general area. There are many credit unions that are geographically located in an area but will accept customers from across the US and the customers can use the Credit Union Coop to do business. The list is large and too much for me to list here. But, if you find some and have questions, let me know and I will see what I can find.

Thanks for the tip! I am using this as we speak!
6 years 8 months ago #1

Replied by Wanderer on topic The Role Of the Federal Government

A quick way to find credit unions is go to Bauer Financial and click on the Credit Unions Tab and then click on your state ... that will get you to those in your general area. There are many credit unions that are geographically located in an area but will accept customers from across the US and the customers can use the Credit Union Coop to do business. The list is large and too much for me to list here. But, if you find some and have questions, let me know and I will see what I can find.
6 years 8 months ago #2

Good idea.I plan on doing that this weekend!
6 years 8 months ago #3

Research some of the Credit Unions in your area or of interest and look at their availability (such as the shared Credit Union Coop option).
6 years 10 months ago #4

Wanderer wrote: Your point is well taken. Were you aware that many credit unions today joined a credit union exchange where you could use a partner's facilities and remain with your CU? Note, not all CU's are members of the exchange.

Very interesting WANDERER. Where can I find more information about this?
6 years 10 months ago #5

Replied by Lexie on topic The Role Of the Federal Government

This is good to know Wanderer. I had no idea there was an exchange. My credit union has branches everywhere in this state. But out of state.....that would be a problem. Thanks for the info!!
6 years 10 months ago #6

Your point is well taken. Were you aware that many credit unions today joined a credit union exchange where you could use a partner's facilities and remain with your CU? Note, not all CU's are members of the exchange.
6 years 10 months ago #7

Replied by Tishbel on topic The Role Of the Federal Government

The only problem I have had with credit unions has been access. I used to be a member of one and was very happy with it, but when we moved out-of-state they didn't have any locations near us so it wasn't practical to stay with them for most of my banking, while the larger banks have branches everywhere.
6 years 10 months ago #8

I am in process of getting a mortgage from a credit union and they have been great!
7 years 1 month ago #9

Replied by Lexie on topic The Role Of the Federal Government

I was rather forced to become a part of our state credit union when I was told that's where my checks were going to be deposited. I rather resented it at the time but over the years I have come to like the credit union. I have had nothing but positive experiences there. Their savings interest rates go right along with the other banks right now. None of them are very good.
7 years 1 month ago #10

I definitely agree with this. There are many solid credit unions out there. I have dealt with a few that I can only say positive things about.
7 years 7 months ago #11

Replied by Curry on topic The Role Of the Federal Government

FrugalFran wrote: I was part of a credit union at one time, but I found them difficult to deal with insofar as things like deposit availability and withdrawals.

I would look into it anyway, because obtaining a loan means you would have different types of interactions with them than if you had a checking or savings account. That, and if one credit union is bad, that doesn't mean others are.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Curry.
7 years 7 months ago #12

Replied by FrugalFran on topic The Role Of the Federal Government

I was part of a credit union at one time, but I found them difficult to deal with insofar as things like deposit availability and withdrawals. I haven't revisited the idea of trying again because that left a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe it would be something worth looking into.
7 years 7 months ago #13

Replied by Breakinger on topic The Role Of the Federal Government

I was wondering this as well because I just signed up to become a member at my local credit union to get a car loan at 1.99%. My regular bank offered me 4.49% and I've been with them for over twenty years. I think from now on anything that has to do with loans I will stick with the credit union.
7 years 7 months ago #14

Credit unions are owned by their membership, so the break in the lending rate and the bump in the savings yield relat eto the benefits of ownership. They are typically still regulated by the FED and have a federal government backing.
7 years 8 months ago #15