Split Credit File

Replied by Wanderer on topic Odd

Appreciate the heads up and the "how to handle" ...
7 years 3 months ago #1

Replied by Goldbug on topic Odd

I've never heard of having two files, but I have actually had my account combined with someone else's. There was a blip on my experian score, and when I pulled my full report it came back loads of pages longer than it should have been. The guy lived at an address I'd left two years before, so I sent experian a formal letter stating there was no association between us, and they got the files split. It took about three months. All you can do to stop this is check regularly.
7 years 3 months ago #2

Replied by Medi on topic Odd

FrugalFran wrote: I've never heard of this before, either. It's great that they were able to merge the OP's two files, but my question would be if it's possible for this to happen again. What a pain to think that this is yet another thing we have to be on the lookout for with our credit reports.

Other than split cases, there are also mixed file cases where our accounts get combined with someone else's. And I read that it can actually happen again because nobody can predict the errors. It's such a pain, but I guess we don't have other choice but to check our accounts regularly.
7 years 6 months ago #3

Replied by FrankN on topic Odd

I cannot imagine this either. What a pain to deal with!
7 years 6 months ago #4

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Odd

I've never heard of this before, either. It's great that they were able to merge the OP's two files, but my question would be if it's possible for this to happen again. What a pain to think that this is yet another thing we have to be on the lookout for with our credit reports.
7 years 7 months ago #5

Replied by patse on topic Odd

This is something so new to me. I have checked all three places and my score is the same. I've never heard of a split record. That just seems odd. I wonder why an agency would do this and how legal it is.
7 years 7 months ago #6

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Split Credit File

Very confusing and I don't understand how a CB would be allowed to let this happen. Note, I have read posts on very sites discussing this issue so it must have happened to someone.
7 years 8 months ago #7

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Split Credit File

I've never even heard of them doing this before. I wonder how many people know nothing about this? It seems like this wouldn't be legal for them to do because the scores are going to have such a huge discrepancy between them.
7 years 8 months ago #8

Replied by wndblwn06 on topic Re: Split Credit File

Thank you for bringing this up! I am rebuilding my credit and noticed that a previous credit card in good standing also is not shown on my Transunion report. ( my score w/ them recently went way down when i financed a car) I'll have to call them, thank you! I also just checked my Equifax and it is not there either. Is this legal?
12 years 3 months ago #9
  • patrick12
  • patrick12's Avatar Topic Author

was created by patrick12

I wanted to share a recent encounter with everyone, I have always been an avid puller of TransUnion True Credit, for the last 3 months or so I have noticed for every new account I would get, one older account closed or open would vanish!!! I was like WTH??? Anyways, I called TransUnion on Monday and found out that I have what is called a split credit file, and basically what that boils down too is I have 2 files!!! This is very common and from what I have gathered it can be various things that cause this, from name and social security variations to too many soft pulls on your report. The downside to this is if a lender pulls my credit file they may end up pulling the second file with very little information on it, can cause an instant denial for credit! So to correct this issue TransUnion was able to merge the two files back together and get everything reporting correctly again, this process took about 48 hours to complete, and I will pull myfico score later today to see what impact positive or negative this might have had! One thing I am most thankful for is this will add back to my AAoA! I checked the other two credit bureaus and my reports match across all 3 now! :thumbsup:
12 years 3 months ago #10