Credit Card Questions

Poll: Does anyone find this thread helpful?

Yes
67 80.7%
No
5 6%
Somewhat
11 13.3%
Total number of voters: 9 ( Wanderer, FrankN, JacksonM, JGibbs, vincymol ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by FrankN on topic Disputing a Charge

Wanderer, have you heard of any issues with credit card companies or merchants after the signature change on 4/1/18? I have not.
5 years 10 months ago #23

Replied by Wanderer on topic Disputing a Charge

Never heard of sending in a signature. With Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express removing the mandatory signature requirements from their merchant agreements effective to April 1, 2018 it seems very strange.
6 years 3 weeks ago #24

Has anyone had to "prove" a charge was not made by you? I was talking to a friend who mentioned that they had to send in their signature for verification, I had never heard of that before!
6 years 3 weeks ago #25

Typically they do. If you call, they will quickly send you a new one with a new # and security code.
6 years 4 months ago #26

Replied by JacksonM on topic Disputing a Charge

They did not, which is find a little strange now that I think about it. I'll have to look into requesting a new one. When I had an odd charge on another card a few years back they immediately froze it and sent me a new one.
6 years 5 months ago #27

JacksonM wrote:

JGibbs wrote: Yikes, was your credit card information stolen?

It's the only strange item I've seen so far. I've already gotten a letter back that it was resolved and I've received the refund. I'll be keeping an eye on the account to make sure nothing else pops up though.

Good news you received a refund. Did they issue you a new credit card with a new #?
6 years 6 months ago #28

JGibbs wrote: Yikes, was your credit card information stolen?

It's the only strange item I've seen so far. I've already gotten a letter back that it was resolved and I've received the refund. I'll be keeping an eye on the account to make sure nothing else pops up though.
6 years 6 months ago #29

Replied by Wanderer on topic Disputing a Charge

Note ... it was our ever popular Equifax that did not update their security patches to the tune of 143,000,000 files plus another 2,500,000 files. Hey ... who's left?!
6 years 6 months ago #30

Replied by JGibbs on topic Disputing a Charge

JacksonM wrote: I was "encouraged" to work it out myself. I put the dispute through, but does anyone know why they ask this? Is it in place in an attempt to discourage people from following through with claims?

Yikes, was your credit card information stolen? Yes, they're likely trying to discourage folks from initiating claims because it costs the company time and money. Don't forget that they have to deal with the seller and "investigate" the situation. I think chargebacks are more common now because the word is out and consumers are more aware of their rights. I'm sure some scammers abuse the process too. I also wonder if any of it has to do with the Experian breach. Maybe they're overwhelmed with claims right now.
6 years 6 months ago #31

Seems like I'm the only one using this thread, but strange things are popping up lately.

Recently I was going over my credit card information and had a purchase I didn't recognize from a company I've never heard of. When I initiated the dispute process, I was asked if I'd tried to resolve it with the company. I hadn't because it wasn't something I authorized. Before continuing I was "encouraged" to work it out myself. I put the dispute through, but does anyone know why they ask this? Is it in place in an attempt to discourage people from following through with claims?
6 years 6 months ago #32

Replied by JacksonM on topic Mastercard Black Card

FrankN wrote:

JacksonM wrote: I was recently "invited" to become a Luxury Card member with a Mastercard Black Card. When I first opened it I laughed because I didn't know black cards actually existed. I thought they were a filler for movies, like 555 for phone numbers. It's not a card I would apply for since it has a $495 annual fee, but it still blows my mind that I received this offer.

Do you remember what the limit, interest rate, and benefits were for the card?

The interest rate was something like 15.99%. The benefits were mostly travel related. I think 2% back, access to lounges, a free Luxury magazine, and the like.

Moneyes, I didn't follow through with the application. I'm just still shocked I received it.
6 years 6 months ago #33

Replied by Moneyes on topic Mastercard Black Card

Barclays sounds better than it is. They have a good marketing team, that's for sure.

Just make sure you're not overextending yourself with a card like that.
6 years 6 months ago #34

Replied by Wanderer on topic Mastercard Black Card

There are many premium high tier cards in the market place for the same or similar AF with real benefits!!! Examples: US Bank Altitude Reserve Infinite Visa, City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite, Chase Sapphire Reserve Infinite Visa, JP Morgan Chase Ritz Infinite Visa, American Express Platinum, to name but a few with top end benefits and AF's of $400 to $550. These are real top shelf cards if a person can utilize true travel benefits and leverage their partners (airlines, hotels etc). Like most things Barclay's does today, their Luxury Cards at expensive low benefit cards (too bad). The initial starting credit lines is generally at least $10,000 (you need to qualify for this level). Oh redemption ... most have ways to leverage travel points to 3 points per dollar or more depending on the partners where Barclays is not that strong.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 6 months ago #35

Replied by FrankN on topic Mastercard Black Card

JacksonM wrote: I was recently "invited" to become a Luxury Card member with a Mastercard Black Card. When I first opened it I laughed because I didn't know black cards actually existed. I thought they were a filler for movies, like 555 for phone numbers. It's not a card I would apply for since it has a $495 annual fee, but it still blows my mind that I received this offer.

Do you remember what the limit, interest rate, and benefits were for the card?
6 years 6 months ago #36

Replied by JacksonM on topic Mastercard Black Card

I was recently "invited" to become a Luxury Card member with a Mastercard Black Card. When I first opened it I laughed because I didn't know black cards actually existed. I thought they were a filler for movies, like 555 for phone numbers. It's not a card I would apply for since it has a $495 annual fee, but it still blows my mind that I received this offer.
6 years 6 months ago #37