Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Explain!

Poll: Do you find this thread helpful in your situation?

Yes
30 71.4%
No
3 7.1%
Does not apply to me, but interesting
7 16.7%
Applies to me, but in a different way. (If checked, please post your story)
2 4.8%
Total number of voters: 4 ( FrankN, mocapino, Egghead, Finance Globe )
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by FrankN on topic Yes, after it was phished

Did you have to pay any of the fees/charges?
4 years 5 months ago #1

EggHead, did you ever get a 2nd replacement card?
5 years 8 months ago #2

Replied by Wanderer on topic Yes, after it was phished

Boy Scout Motto: "always be prepared" ... going one point farther you may want a Visa and a MasterCard just in case of network failures (truth can't think that it ever happened but ... just in case). Update to this old post ... the Visa Network failed in the UK and parts of Europe during April 2018 so it can happen!
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Wanderer.
8 years 3 months ago #3

That is interesting. How long did it take them to send you a replacement? I have had a few replacements sent where sometimes they will overnight the card.

However, I would also agree a 2nd credit card is great for a backup.
8 years 3 months ago #4

Replied by Egghead on topic Yes, after it was phished

My VISA card was frozen due to the details being phished and then used to purchase several items from online sites. I was pleased when the bank called to let me know, but waiting for a replacement was a nuisance, and the motivation I needed to arrange a second credit card, just as back up really.
8 years 3 months ago #5

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Barclay Visa lowered my credit limit by 58%, citing increase in debt and too many inquiries.....so much for payment history being of any importance. I have nothing bad with them either. UGH

Time for a recon ... call Barclays Bank at then number I sent you in a PM!
8 years 10 months ago #6

Replied by Nuovocapitolo on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Barclay Visa lowered my credit limit by 58%, citing increase in debt and too many inquiries.....so much for payment history being of any importance. I have nothing bad with them either. UGH! :upset: :upset:
8 years 10 months ago #7

Replied by BloodFood on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Yes it was but was not my fault it was due to technical failure that occur to my card.
8 years 10 months ago #8

Replied by Nuovocapitolo on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Sheetz Visa closed my account because I accumulated too many inquiries. That is dumb.....I didn't have a bad history with them at all either.......UGH!
8 years 11 months ago #9

Replied by Fallin Elizabeth on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I have found high pressure techniques to get you to close your account and then the creditor has "no risky" debtor on their books before you get behind, which you will not and they only want high dollar accounts. Macys and American Eagle pretty much ge account will give you pay day loan interest rates and you are at their mercy when one co underwrites all of the credit. They have a hay day at your expense aka BOA. People on retirement and disability are often defrauded with interest rates. To the lady who thinks someone should not eat to pay a bill because of a natural disaster, or a poor payroll clerk..the consumer should sue the company, the call center is an offshore contract that could use an audit.
10 years 2 days ago #10

Replied by JELOPEZ88 on topic Re: This is from my review of Chase Slate. I figure it is helpful in this discu

Wow! It is almost unbelievable and disappointing to see how Chase treated both of you after 5 years of customer loyalty and on-time payments. :upset: I guess that did not mean anything to them, especially when you bothered to take the time to contact them and explain why the payments would be late. I recently opened a Chase "Freedom" credit card account last year and have had a loan account that was transferred over to Chase when Washington Mutual went under. After reading your post, maybe it's time to rethink about having those accounts.

I am a joint-cardholder with my partner on this card. We both work for a school-system in the city of Chicago, and last year they made a change in their payment processing that caused a month delay in everyone's pay check across the board. This essentially caused much financial hardship for everyone as, without funds for a month, many bills had to go past due.
As soon as we found out about this (a month before it was going to happen, just after Christmas) we contacted all of our creditors and explained the situation. Almost everyone was understanding and forgiving, waiving late fees and allowing extensions. Chase was not one of those companies that was willing to work with us. After numerous phone calls, faxing documention explaining the situation per our districts HR department, and constant emails, they continued to state that if we did not pay by the due date our interest would spike from 12% to 35% and our limit would be lowered as a result. This is after 5 years of on-time payments and no issues.
Because of the interest hike, having to catch up on mortgage and other bills, and several "glitches" with our districts "new and improved" payment systems, we were reported as 90 days late and again 30 days late on a payment. My partner chose to close the account without discussing it with me because he was so disgusted with the way Chase handled the issue.
Fast-forward to the present. We are not a year over the previous problem and everything is back to order. We have been making on-time payments to Chase for 18 months with no issues. However, the ding in my credit score from the late payments hurt, so I called to ask about "reaging" the account. "Sue" answered the call and was as surly as they come. I am a polite, calm person (I am a teacher, I have to be) regardless, she was not friendly. She explained that they DO reage accounts, but because I chose to close it, I was out of luck (smokers cough ensued for about 3 minutes after this). I thanked her for he time and hung up.
I contacted Chase about re-opening the account thinking that I have given enough time to be considered in good standing with them again. That way I could reage the card and gain account holding benefits as they were offered. I was notified that due to my negative payment history, I will not be allowed to open the account again. Really? Really?!?
Chase has lost a valuable customer here. This in not good business practice. I would advise anyone that wants a good card to avoid Chase at all costs.

12 years 1 month ago #11

Replied by JELOPEZ88 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I was notified in my latest Macy's statement for November 2011 (Retailers National Bank) they reduced my credit limit on the AMEX portion of my account but left the store account alone. The reason is that they said I have too much debt on other accounts. Recently, I paid off three other accounts which now have a zero balance. :dumbfounded:

I am not going to let it worry me too much; I have enough credit on my other cc accounts that I don't really need all of that extra line. After I pay down my other debts, the bank will probably increase it again. I am seriously thinking of not using the account again and letting it age on my credit report. In the past, I have had so much trouble with the payments being credited to the right credit line as it is two credit lines in one account.
12 years 4 months ago #12

Replied by scamps218 on topic Re: This is from my review of Chase Slate. I figure it is helpful in this discu

It seems they have. You are better off with a credit union! Credit unions are not-for-profit; they offer better rates, MORE branches (it's called shared branching, most credit unions are connected with this system to offer branches around the country), community involvement, and great customer service (every member is valuable to them!). I would definitely suggest you research some credit unions in your area, immediately stop all banking at the big boy banks and enjoy life. You will be able to use the same hard pull to your credit report for everything

Finance Globe has a database[/URL] available; however, I found talking to friends and family was the best way to find one (also look into employer incentives). And make sure it's in a shared branching network.

Not paying your Bills
I don't mean to offend you in anyway, I'm sure your time without the paycheck was tough. But you can always find a way to make at least the minimum payment! Here's how]

Regardless, I do appreciate your response.
12 years 7 months ago #13

Replied by scamps218 on topic Re: This is from my review of Chase Slate. I figure it is helpful in this discu

It seems they have. You are better off with a credit union! Credit unions are not-for-profit; they offer better rates, MORE branches (it's called shared branching, most credit unions are connected with this system to offer branches around the country), community involvement, and great customer service (every member is valuable to them!). I would definitely suggest you research some credit unions in your area, immediately stop all banking at the big boy banks and enjoy life. You will be able to use the same hard pull to your credit report for everything

Finance Globe has a database[/URL] available; however, I found talking to friends and family was the best way to find one (also look into employer incentives). And make sure it's in a shared branching network.

Not paying your Bills
I don't mean to offend you in anyway, I'm sure your time without the paycheck was tough. But you can always find a way to make at least the minimum payment! Here's how]

I'm not offended. I would like to say that we had been planning better. However, we had recently purchased a home, had several unexpected building maintenance issues, a dog that had become suddenly unwell and this was just after Christmas (huge family). We had to budget for bare necessities only and our savings had been all but depleted as we were just starting to build back up our emergency fund. My savings were limited due to the unforeseen issues above and the job of being an effective teacher (we pay A LOT out of pocket if you were not aware). Things just happened at the wrong time for all of us. When we are getting paid regularly, everything is great and we are able to maintain. However, with no reserves and no payment for a month, this just was not an option. Food was not even an issue as that was managed with our reserves just fine. Grocery costs, however, would not cover the monthly payments that were due.

You see, you have to understand where I am coming from. I cannot rationalize increasing my credit debt as a means to balance an infraction of this nature on the part of my HR department. I also cannot cover all of my bills on what I use as "bare necessities" per month. So moving money around was not an option. This is currently an issue that our Union is addressing, but I do not think we will see anything as a result. Perhaps there was a better way to manage this, but, at the time, I was struggling in several aspects. The point of my review was to address a very specific issue in terms of customer loyalty and service rendered to the consumer. We are the backbone of this company, so, if they do not want a customer like me, no problem. There are plenty of others that will.
12 years 7 months ago #14

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: This is from my review of Chase Slate. I figure it is helpful in this discu

I am a joint-cardholder with my partner on this card. We both work for a school-system in the city of Chicago, and last year they made a change in their payment processing that caused a month delay in everyone's pay check across the board. This essentially caused much financial hardship for everyone as, without funds for a month, many bills had to go past due.
As soon as we found out about this (a month before it was going to happen, just after Christmas) we contacted all of our creditors and explained the situation. Almost everyone was understanding and forgiving, waiving late fees and allowing extensions. Chase was not one of those companies that was willing to work with us. After numerous phone calls, faxing documention explaining the situation per our districts HR department, and constant emails, they continued to state that if we did not pay by the due date our interest would spike from 12% to 35% and our limit would be lowered as a result. This is after 5 years of on-time payments and no issues.
Because of the interest hike, having to catch up on mortgage and other bills, and several "glitches" with our districts "new and improved" payment systems, we were reported as 90 days late and again 30 days late on a payment. My partner chose to close the account without discussing it with me because he was so disgusted with the way Chase handled the issue.
Fast-forward to the present. We are not a year over the previous problem and everything is back to order. We have been making on-time payments to Chase for 18 months with no issues. However, the ding in my credit score from the late payments hurt, so I called to ask about "reaging" the account. "Sue" answered the call and was as surly as they come. I am a polite, calm person (I am a teacher, I have to be) regardless, she was not friendly. She explained that they DO reage accounts, but because I chose to close it, I was out of luck (smokers cough ensued for about 3 minutes after this). I thanked her for he time and hung up.
I contacted Chase about re-opening the account thinking that I have given enough time to be considered in good standing with them again. That way I could reage the card and gain account holding benefits as they were offered. I was notified that due to my negative payment history, I will not be allowed to open the account again. Really? Really?!?
Chase has lost a valuable customer here. This in not good business practice. I would advise anyone that wants a good card to avoid Chase at all costs.

It seems they have. You are better off with a credit union! Credit unions are not-for-profit; they offer better rates, MORE branches (it's called shared branching, most credit unions are connected with this system to offer branches around the country), community involvement, and great customer service (every member is valuable to them!). I would definitely suggest you research some credit unions in your area, immediately stop all banking at the big boy banks and enjoy life. You will be able to use the same hard pull to your credit report for everything]Finance Globe has a database[/URL] available; however, I found talking to friends and family was the best way to find one (also look into employer incentives). And make sure it's in a shared branching network.

Not paying your Bills
I don't mean to offend you in anyway, I'm sure your time without the paycheck was tough. But you can always find a way to make at least the minimum payment! Here's how: for that month you still had to buy FOOD right (or something)? How did you buy this food (or something)? With savings? You could have charged the food with your credit card and used that money for a payment to avoid a ding on your credit report. This is NOT a good method to use but is a last resort. Let's say you didn't have any cash at all and bought the entire month's expenses on credit cards. Then you're right there was no other option. Note: you could always have asked a close friend or family member for some cash.

Anyway, good luck in your financial wellbeing. You seem to be on the right track.
12 years 7 months ago #15