AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM VS AMERICAN EXPRESS PREFERRED REWARDS

Replied by FrankN on topic AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM VS AMERICAN EXPRESS PREFERRED REWARDS

Its funny to me how the Rose Gold is so popular! I read an article that AMEX can't make enough and have a huge demand.
5 years 5 months ago #1

Replied by Finance Globe on topic AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM VS AMERICAN EXPRESS PREFERRED REWARDS

Welcome back, we missed you! Yes, the move seems unusual and risky. Not sure if the Preferred offer was profitable enough for them, and they decided to introduce the fee based offer. They are going after a different audience now.
5 years 6 months ago #2
  • smcc811
  • smcc811's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by smcc811 on topic AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM VS AMERICAN EXPRESS PREFERRED REWARDS

Wanted to say " Good Afternoon " to all, been a long time and I wanted to stop by and share what AMEX is doing these days. Just read an article that the " Gold Preferred " card will be rebranded a " Gold Card " but they are restructuring their rewards differently to market themselves more towards a younger base . They are giving more points towards groceries , restaurants , hotels and taking away the " Gas " purchase 2 points for every dollar spent . AMEX also for a limited time will start issuing " Rose Gold " color cards that will now be " metal ' . The thing that got me was that the annual fee now increases to $250 year :angry: ! Now unless your a frequent traveler I don't see how the Platinum Card ( which I finally broke down and got one to go along with my gold card ) is all what its cracked up to be with the gold card nibbling at its heels . While these new travel benefits of the Gold Card are better than before I now feel that the Platinum Card membership might fall as time moves forward .
5 years 6 months ago #3

Replied by Wanderer on topic AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM VS AMERICAN EXPRESS PREFERRED REWARDS

When looking at the AX Platinum you could look at the US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite or the Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite which in many cases will out perform the AX Card (all metal) and Chase has the ability to earn UR Points that can be leveraged with travel partners. Now since you don't travel in truth, as noted on other websites that actually report on travel cards the benefits will not offset the AFs. The AX is a high cost card for what a low volume traveler gets for benefits. I used to have one "status" but in today's world few people ever see it as I find we don't pass our cards around any more (security). Lexie really answered your question well. Certainly your choice but $550 AF is nothing to sneeze at.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 7 months ago #4

Replied by Lexie on topic AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM VS AMERICAN EXPRESS PREFERRED REWARDS

You just answered your own question SMCC811. You always wanted one, can't justify the cost and won't use the card to it's fullest potential. Is it just the status of having one you want or can you really use it? Not trying to be critical here but please look at all reasons and angles before you get one. :)
6 years 7 months ago #5
  • smcc811
  • smcc811's Avatar Topic Author

AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM VS AMERICAN EXPRESS PREFERRED REWARDS was created by smcc811

GOOD MORNING

Its been a long time since i have been here and hope everyone is well . Have a question that I need opinions on , currently have a AMEX Preferred Rewards card with a 846 credit score and have been approved for a Platinum Card for years . Always wanted a Platinum Card but shyed away from it for two reasons , Annual Cost and the Preferred Rewards is a better card for day to day use . I travel very infrequently so the benefits of the Platinum Card will not be utilized to its full potential and like I said the $550 annual fee is staggering . Does anybody carry both cards and if you do and your travel is limited how do you make both cards work for you to offset the $700+ annual fees ? Always wanted a Platinum Card but trying to justify the cost as you can see , any and all comments are welcome
6 years 8 months ago #6