Teaching Your Children

Replied by Wanderer on topic Teaching Your Children

Great undertaking. In my researching one of the comments I keep seeing from the twenty year old age bracket is the lack of any training at home or in school on how to manage daily living finances.
6 years 12 hours ago #16

Replied by FrankN on topic Teaching Your Children

I have started helping out with Junior Achievement, which I think is a great resource for young children to help them understand about personal finances!
6 years 1 day ago #17

I think so. Its also important to start early so they can get a good foundation on what is right and wrong and when you should/shouldn't use a credit card.
6 years 7 months ago #18

Replied by JGibbs on topic Teaching Your Children

Moneyes wrote: So which camp are you in? The one that teaches children responsible credit practices for the sake 'fitting in"? Or the one that teaches children that the cycle of debt is a financial redundancy?

I'm not sure I understand that one, but adults struggle to handle credit so I sure wouldn't expect a child to grasp all the rules and nuances of debt. Had my parents tried that with me, I know I would have worried to death.
6 years 7 months ago #19

Replied by Joker on topic Teaching Your Children

I agree with Frugal Fran on this point. I don't want to start it for them because isn't the whole point to this action for them to learn the ins and outs of credit? Starting with when you need credit, all the way through to paying it off and the satisfaction you get, shouldn't it be their choice and you can back them up with information and a co-sign if necessary.
6 years 7 months ago #20

Depending on the age, it does begin to build and establish credit for the child. Also at 18, they could apply for a credit card themselves to really start building credit.
7 years 2 months ago #21

Replied by Breakinger on topic Teaching Your Children

FrugalFran wrote: I don't think it helps them build their own credit, but I could be wrong about that. My plan was to co-sign something for her after she turns 18 and she's shown me she can take responsibility for a credit card or loan.

It would be nice if it did help them build credit, though, wouldn't it? I think that is one of the hardest things for them to deal with when they are first starting out. Co-signing for them is another great plan. That is how I started out. My mom co-signed the loan for my first car.
7 years 2 months ago #22

Replied by Lexie on topic Teaching Your Children

It's so important to teach your children financial responsibility. I didn't know about this child card. Financial redundancy must come to an end. Otherwise kids will end up in more debt than their parents. "The average American household with at least one credit card has nearly $15,950 in credit-card debt (in 2012), according to CreditCards.com, and the average interest rate runs in the mid-to high teens at any given time." This has to stop.
7 years 2 months ago #23

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Teaching Your Children

I don't think it helps them build their own credit, but I could be wrong about that. My plan was to co-sign something for her after she turns 18 and she's shown me she can take responsibility for a credit card or loan.
7 years 2 months ago #24

Great idea. Do you know if these "child cards" will also help them earn some credit? I think that is one of the hardest things for younger people just starting out. There are so many places that just don't want to take the risk of lending to them, so how can they get started in life?
7 years 2 months ago #25

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Teaching Your Children

My daughter is only seven, so all we've done so far is teach her about saving. When she's around 16, I plan on getting her a "child card" on one of our credit card accounts that she will be responsible for. I think having credit is important for things like traveling or emergency situations when you don't access to cash, but I want to make sure she understands that it isn't something you swipe without consequence.
7 years 2 months ago #26

I think it's important to teach our children financial responsibility. I've been teaching my children that you need to make good choices, but know that you are always going to have some type of debt, especially when you are just starting out. I just want them to understand the importance of paying their bills on time and to not live beyond their means.
7 years 2 months ago #27
  • Moneyes
  • Moneyes's Avatar Topic Author

Teaching Your Children was created by Moneyes

So which camp are you in? The one that teaches children responsible credit practices for the sake 'fitting in"? Or the one that teaches children that the cycle of debt is a financial redundancy?

There are cases to be made for either side.
7 years 2 months ago #28