Credit Karma

Replied by JGibbs on topic Credit Karma

Lexie wrote: That's the problem with anything "free." It looks good on the surface and may work for a while but there's a catch there somewhere. I especially like those "free" things that sell their email and phone lists to other companies.

I think anytime you download software, open an account, or sign up for something "free", the fee is usually you, the end user. Whether it's facebook, Credit Karma, WOT, or anything else. I always read the mile long privacy notice and hope I don't miss something major. Of course, that policy can change in the blink of an eye.

Does anyone know how to stop marketers from calling your cell phone number?
6 years 7 months ago #16

Replied by Joker on topic Credit Karma

There are many so called "free" things out on the internet today that are all about getting your information and selling it to others. I know that my phone rings off the hook all day and half the night. I have a fast rule that if you want to get to talk to me, you had better give your name and number so that I can put it in my phone. If a name doesn't come up, I won't answer the phone. I know that it's extreme, but ever since I was trying to do MLM, it has been heinous!
6 years 7 months ago #17
  • FrankN
  • FrankN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Replied by FrankN on topic Credit Karma

I personally love Credit Karma for reviewing my credit. I do not use any other services, but in general the free aspects of Credit Karma are better than most I have seen, even if they send my information out to CC companies.
7 years 2 months ago #18

Replied by Lexie on topic Credit Karma

That's the problem with anything "free." It looks good on the surface and may work for a while but there's a catch there somewhere. I especially like those "free" things that sell their email and phone lists to other companies. I haven't tried Credit Karma but it sounds like a pretty good one if all you are getting is phone calls. You can block those numbers.
7 years 2 months ago #19

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Credit Karma

Goldbug wrote: I keep hearing people talk about this but it looks too good to be true, I mean free credit and it does your tax for free? I'm tempted because it looks so helpful but I guess I'm worried about spam, since they say they get paid for suggesting loans & products to users. Do they send a lot of these suggestions?

I haven't noticed an increase in emails, but now that you mention it, my husband and I have been getting a lot more automated phone calls and mail offers since we signed up for Credit Karma. I didn't realize the source of it, but now it makes perfect sense.
7 years 3 months ago #20

Replied by Breakinger on topic Credit Karma

I keep seeing commercials for their free tax return service too. I'm sure that it's only for people who file the 1040-EZ form and don't have a ton of deductions. I've noticed a lot of places are doing this now. As for loan suggestions, there are a few, but I've never had a problem with any of them being spam related.
7 years 3 months ago #21

Replied by Goldbug on topic Credit Karma

I keep hearing people talk about this but it looks too good to be true, I mean free credit and it does your tax for free? I'm tempted because it looks so helpful but I guess I'm worried about spam, since they say they get paid for suggesting loans & products to users. Do they send a lot of these suggestions?
7 years 3 months ago #22

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Credit Karma

I have a Credit Karma account and I'll admit that I don't use it like I should. With the ability to check it frequently, I should be doing just that on a regular basis. I think I'm going to add that to my list of New Year's resolutions and make sure I stay on top of it.
7 years 3 months ago #23

Replied by Breakinger on topic Credit Karma

I've been using Credit Karma for a few years now and I love it. I've tried other places, but nothing compares to them. The thing I like about it the most is that I can check it as often as I want and if you ever find anything fraudulent on your report, you can report it and they will look into it for you.
7 years 3 months ago #24
  • FrankN
  • FrankN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Credit Karma was created by FrankN

Does anyone use Credit Karma? I have used this for about a year now and it is helpful for me to keep track of my credit score. Its free and simple.
7 years 3 months ago #25