Money tips

Replied by FrankN on topic Money tips

I am in a stage in my life most of my current expenses are fixed. So for me, in order to save more, I need to make more money. I am trying to do as many "side hustles" as possible. I am also considering doing yard work and/or other weekend jobs.

Does any one have any ideas that have worked for them?
6 years 20 hours ago #1

If you own a home, have a lot of property taxes, healthcare expenses, it may make more sense to itemize. Its just all about lowering your overall taxes. If the itemized amount is more than the standard deduction than you should itemize.
6 years 1 month ago #2

Great to hear! Its likely you will never be audited, but better safe than sorry!
6 years 1 month ago #3

Replied by JacksonM on topic Money tips

Lexie wrote: We always get a receipt FRANKN!! Having moved to a much smaller home we have really had to do some serious donating and it came in handy on last year's taxes. Same thing will apply this year. The more you give the bigger difference it makes in "The bottom line."

I've only taken the time to itemize once. When I did, I was told that I was better off not doing it. So I'm curious, at what point does itemizing make a difference?
6 years 2 months ago #4

Replied by Lexie on topic Money tips

We always get a receipt FRANKN!! Having moved to a much smaller home we have really had to do some serious donating and it came in handy on last year's taxes. Same thing will apply this year. The more you give the bigger difference it makes in "The bottom line."
6 years 2 months ago #5

Replied by Moneyes on topic Money tips

FrankN wrote: Make sure you get a receipt from the thrift store as those donations are tax deductible if you itemize!

You can do that with vehicles too. Instead of having an old clunker in your yard, find a charity that will take it off your hands.
6 years 2 months ago #6

Lexie wrote:

FrugalFran wrote: Good luck this weekend, Lexie! Let us know how it turns out!

Speaking of grocery coupons, one of our local stores started providing coupons at the self checkout. Basically, if you scan something that has a coupon, it pops out of a little machine next to the register. Yesterday I saved almost $2 with the coupons they provided. It's weird, though, because if you use a lane with a cashier, they don't give you the coupons until after you've paid, so they're only good for next time.

'

We did very well with the yard sale FrugalFran. I'm so glad it's over though. And believe it or not, we took a whole car load to the thrift store and have the other one packed and ready to take as well. There's also at least two more loads to go. I didn't believe hubby would do it. He sure fooled me. LOL!

Make sure you get a receipt from the thrift store as those donations are tax deductible if you itemize!
6 years 10 months ago #7

FrugalFran wrote: Good luck this weekend, Lexie! Let us know how it turns out!

Speaking of grocery coupons, one of our local stores started providing coupons at the self checkout. Basically, if you scan something that has a coupon, it pops out of a little machine next to the register. Yesterday I saved almost $2 with the coupons they provided. It's weird, though, because if you use a lane with a cashier, they don't give you the coupons until after you've paid, so they're only good for next time.

'

We did very well with the yard sale FrugalFran. I'm so glad it's over though. And believe it or not, we took a whole car load to the thrift store and have the other one packed and ready to take as well. There's also at least two more loads to go. I didn't believe hubby would do it. He sure fooled me. LOL!
6 years 10 months ago #8

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Money tips

Good luck this weekend, Lexie! Let us know how it turns out!

Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by FrugalFran.
6 years 10 months ago #9

Come on by this weekend FrankN. We begin our first yard sale Thursday morning at 8:00 AM. I have been unpacking stuff I haven't seen since 2005. It's time to sell it all. Hubby says whatever is left Saturday afternoon is going to the local thrift store. HaHaHaHa. I'll believe that when I see it. Wish us luck.
6 years 10 months ago #10

Replied by Tishbel on topic Money tips

FrankN wrote: I use grocery coupons. That has helped me save a lot at the grocery store. I also cut the cord and no longer have cable.

That's a good idea. We still have it because the provider's cheapest offer for internet bundles it with the phone and TV. We keep an eye on the bills though, because they like to try and creep the amounts up. When that happens it is worth phoning up and asking if they have new deals available, because they almost always do and that can really keep costs down.
6 years 10 months ago #11

I used to buy all of my stuff at yard sales! There are some great deals sometimes.
6 years 11 months ago #12

FrugalFran wrote: Wow, Lexie! If you have storage buildings full of stuff you'll probably be raking in the cash at your yard sale! I need to go through what we want to get rid of to see if I have enough stuff to even have a yard sale. I know we have a lot of stuff, but some of it is just junk. If I feel like it wouldn't be worth having my own, maybe I'll team up with a couple friends and have a group sale.

You never know FrugalFran. One man's junk is another's treasure. We plan to team up with a couple of neighbors and have a BIG yard sale. Those storage buildings are getting expensive and increasing the worth of my "junk." LOL!
6 years 11 months ago #13

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Money tips

Wow, Lexie! If you have storage buildings full of stuff you'll probably be raking in the cash at your yard sale! I need to go through what we want to get rid of to see if I have enough stuff to even have a yard sale. I know we have a lot of stuff, but some of it is just junk. If I feel like it wouldn't be worth having my own, maybe I'll team up with a couple friends and have a group sale.
6 years 11 months ago #14

There's nothing better than a good yard sale. The ones giving it though put in a lot of work to get everything out and put everything up. We've had many yard sales and are getting ready to have many more. We have downsized and are covered up with "stuff." I hope we can earn enough money to get out of a couple of storage building we rent. On line has it's pros and is great in the winter time.
6 years 11 months ago #15