USAA Federal Savings Bank

Replied by FrankN on topic USAA Veterans

That is really cool, and I 100% believe in a program like that. Great to hear!
7 years 5 months ago #1

Replied by FrugalFran on topic USAA Veterans

Moneyes wrote: Is the veteran status requirement still in effect? If it is, I might look into that option as well. It's been 25 years since the fact, but a veteran is a veteran.

Absolutely! I have it through my dad and served about 50 years ago. We just starting using USAA a few years ago, so it's not like he's had it for a long time and he qualified without question.
7 years 6 months ago #2

Replied by patse on topic USAA

Cents wrote: Egghead, I do not understand how that would even happen. Usually, when you take out a loan, you have to sign the loan for it to be valid. How can a company just add someone to your loan? That is just crazy and makes no sense to me.

Wife or not, how can someone be added? That makes no sense and quite frankly, illegal. I don't want just anyone adding me to their loan. That will be a mess.
7 years 7 months ago #3
  • Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Wanderer on topic USAA Veterans

Yes, or through a family member.
7 years 8 months ago #4

Replied by Moneyes on topic USAA Veterans

Is the veteran status requirement still in effect? If it is, I might look into that option as well. It's been 25 years since the fact, but a veteran is a veteran.
7 years 8 months ago #5

Replied by FrankN on topic USAA

I agree that is crazy, I hope they were able to get that resolved.
7 years 10 months ago #6

Replied by Cents on topic USAA

Egghead, I do not understand how that would even happen. Usually, when you take out a loan, you have to sign the loan for it to be valid. How can a company just add someone to your loan? That is just crazy and makes no sense to me.
7 years 11 months ago #7

Replied by FrugalFran on topic USAA

USAA has some bad reviews out there, but so does every other company. I've only been with them a few years and I haven't had to put in any claims, so things have gone pretty smooth so far.
8 years 1 month ago #8

Replied by Egghead on topic USAA

I have read a few horror stories about USAA recently too. One was about a woman who was credit checked and added to a loan her husband took out, despite neither of them mentioning her wish to be included that way.
8 years 1 month ago #9

Replied by Cents on topic USAA

I thought USAA was always exclusive to veterans and their families, so this is interesting, albeit old, news. My dad is my connection for USAA and I haven't had any major issues with them. Once in a while I get someone on the phone who doesn't really know what they're talking about, but you get that everywhere these days.
8 years 2 months ago #10

Replied by Roughdraft on topic Re: USAA Federal Savings Bank

That's news to me. I hold a checking account and a credit card with them. Maybe I wasn't told because I am a veteran? You would assume that something as significant as that would be put out to everyone. Some of the complaints made within the past few years are by the veterans, saying that its not exclusive anymore and that they have grown too big, hence the bad customer service with the credit card department. I can name a few big banks that offer better credit cards as far as service and rewards, and while their checking account is pretty good, it is equal to a few others. Their savings accounts are some of the lowest in the industry.
10 years 7 months ago #11
  • Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

was created by Wanderer

USAA Federal Savings Bank effective to August 27, 2013 closed all membership to non veterans. In other words, unless you can connect yourself to someone in your family or have some form of military service (as defined by USAA) you cannot be a member. Back to the fall of 2009 it was that way and even restrictive to military personnel. If you are a member of USAA as a non veteran you can remain a member as long as you have active account(s) except you cannot participate in property and casualty products. All other military based memberships remain unchanged. This information came directly from the USAA Federal Savings Bank.
10 years 7 months ago #12