Do we still need the Postal System ?

Replied by Moneyes on topic Re: Do we still need the Postal System ?

It may not be needed anymore, but it is still wanted by the older population who haven't changed their habits in this regard. That, and people need to remember that the USPS was in operation long before the internet and possibly before even electricity. It is a good option to have around should anything happen to the internet of electrical grid.
7 years 9 months ago #1

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Do we still need the Postal System ?

We still need it to a certain degree especially in rural areas. However big changes need to happen and its been a huge money losing business for a long time. They need to make some drastic changes.
7 years 10 months ago #2

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Do we still need the Postal System ?

Wanderer wrote: Joined the electronic bill payment crowd and love it! The one thing I do know, there are things that need to come by the USPS so we still need them. In my area often UPS and Fex Ex drop my packages with the USPS and go. Adds one to two more days to delivery but the other services say it saves them chasing so we need the USPS!

I get mail in my mailbox every single day, so I don't see it being completely abolished. As you said, most of the packages I get delivered are from the USPS. I can't remember the last time UPS or Fed Ex drove in my driveway, and I get a lot of packages!
7 years 10 months ago #3

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Do we still need the Postal System ?

Joined the electronic bill payment crowd and love it! The one thing I do know, there are things that need to come by the USPS so we still need them. In my area often UPS and Fex Ex drop my packages with the USPS and go. Adds one to two more days to delivery but the other services say it saves them chasing so we need the USPS!
7 years 11 months ago #4

Replied by patse on topic USPS

FrugalFran wrote: Wow, that's interesting news! When was the last time the price of stamps was actually reduced? I think in my lifetime, I've only ever see them increase.

Same here. I've never seen the price of a stamp or postage in general decrease. I still won't send a lot through the mail. I don't see why anyone would waste the money when you can do so many things online.
7 years 11 months ago #5

Replied by FrugalFran on topic USPS

Wow, that's interesting news! When was the last time the price of stamps was actually reduced? I think in my lifetime, I've only ever see them increase.
7 years 11 months ago #6

Replied by Egghead on topic USPS

I read somewhere that they will drop 2 cents from the price of postage stamp from this month, the tenth perhaps? It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.
7 years 11 months ago #7

Replied by patse on topic USPS

I rarely use the USPS. I pay most of my bills online. I send email or text people. The price of stamps are just crazy. I did read something about the cost going down. Anyone know if there is any truth in that?
8 years 5 days ago #8

Replied by FrugalFran on topic USPS

I use USPS quite a bit, but that doesn't mean that I like them. My husband and I own a business that requires shipping heavy items now and then and, unfortunately, FedEx and UPS can't beat the USPS's prices. I'd much rather use UPS, but I don't want our customers to absorb that extra cost.
8 years 2 months ago #9

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Do we still need the Postal System ?

I don't even bother with stamps anymore, I have started paying all of my bills online and receiving most of them with the 'paperless' option. The only mail I usually end up getting is junk and when I do order something, most of the time it comes by FedEx, UPS, or Budget.
8 years 2 months ago #10
  • smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Do we still need the Postal System ?

Rockin35 you had me laughing with the 5 hour comment :laugh: ! Your comment about early retirement and closing on the weekends is a good idea but still think its not going to help. I still think outsourcing this service would be the best bet. Fed Ex and UPS break their back to get packages here, there, and everywhere as promised and give you numerous ways to track your letters/packages, i.e. tracking number, track from cell phone, email alerts, etc..

Their is also the question of Passports. Why not let your local DMV take over this service ?

I also agree with your business comment, again would you not feel more comfortable with UPS or Fed Ex getting your package to you when requested ?
14 years 10 months ago #11

Replied by Rockin35 on topic Re: Do we still need the Postal System ?

Competition would be a win-win for the consumers. These stamps have increased what is it?... 2-3 times in the last 10 years? Thats too much, it cost basically half a dollar to mail a 7cent envelope.

My suggestion for the USPS, go ahead and retire half the retiree's early, close it down on Saturdays, extend the hours Monday-Friday, offer more bulk rate items at a lower rates. Find better ways to maximize profits and minimize costs, without raising the stamp costs every 5 hours because the only thing that does is alienates loyal customers and eventually no customers will be left...

Now with Fedex Kinkos becoming Fedex Office, with the new launch and different products, USPS are in for a huge battle to stay afloat.

I think mostly businesses rely heavily on most of their mail items but regular consumers only need to mail packages every once in a while. This combination alone, spells trouble for USPS.

Rockin35
14 years 10 months ago #12

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Do we still need the Postal System ?

My opinion! OK, I will give it to you in the am before work. Nice topic, and I will love to give my opinion. I just wanted to make sure it was available for the 24hr forum post for me I don't know why I am woke....cheating in eating....lol. But it is all good, nothing bad, I have learned my lesson! :fun:
14 years 10 months ago #13
  • smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

was created by smcc

As many of you know Stamps just went up. My question is this, is the USPS still needed ? Most of you who are here have a PC so email has become the standard for communicating between each other. Most Business's have email links so unless you need to talk to them right away you can drop them a note and they will respond. For Those of us with Celll Phones/Blackberry's/ I-Phones/ well, email is either on your hip or in your purse.

Now you might say, "SMCC, how about packages/Certified Letters/anything other than standard letters ? Why not let the Government let UPS/Fed Ex bid for those services or better yet just let them start to offer that service as part of their comprehensive package. Competition would bring the price down for those services and in the end, the consumer would save

Monthly Bills ? This has been resloved by Bill Pay through your local financial institution. You can have your bill emailed to you and have payment plans set up though your bank to take care of this, i.e. BIll Pay through BOA

Ok, now your thinking, "SMCC, not everyone has a PC". This is true but the ones that are not on "the grid" sort of speak, could their be enough of them to keep the USPS profitable ? PC's have come down in price and most who don't have a PC have a cell phone and can pay their bills using that instrument.

WIth UPS and FED EX being as competitive as ever with the USPS, the Post office has become a relic. Your opinion please....................
14 years 10 months ago #14