how have the internet impacted your life?

Replied by Medi on topic It's good and bad

FrankN wrote: I also agree its been a huge positive for my life. Yet I am so attached it to, I feel as though I am never unplugged. In fact, it is almost impossible to fully unplug these days.

I completely agree. We communicate using the internet, so it's impossible to be disconnected for a long time. I used to ride with all the popular things online, but now I only use it for important stuffs. I don't want to be too dependent on it that I forget real-time communication.
7 years 5 months ago #16

Replied by Curry on topic It's good and bad

The internet has impacted my life in a good way. It has given me more financial options as well as opened my eyes to the world in more ways had I not had the internet.
7 years 8 months ago #17

Replied by Moneyes on topic It's good and bad

I agree, it's almost impossible to totally cut the cord for a good period of time. Mostly though, the internet has had a positive impact on my life. There was a chat forum though, a very large one, that I have been registered on for about 10 years now. That site, while not bad in and of itself, turned out to be not so good for me personally.
7 years 9 months ago #18

Replied by FrankN on topic It's good and bad

I also agree its been a huge positive for my life. Yet I am so attached it to, I feel as though I am never unplugged. In fact, it is almost impossible to fully unplug these days.
7 years 10 months ago #19

Replied by Cents on topic It's good and bad

Patse, there is a lot of information online, which is a good thing. As I said, I work online so having a computer attached to my hip is a must, but even with all the positives, I often wish I could just unplug for a few weeks.
7 years 10 months ago #20

Replied by patse on topic It's good and bad

Well that is impressive. I would miss the Internet if I was only on once or twice a month. I do a ton of research on it. I'm not on near as much as some people I know but I am on enough. There is so much information online.
7 years 11 months ago #21

Replied by Cents on topic It's good and bad

That sounds wonderful, Egghead! I wish I could be just like your friend. I work online and that makes it pretty much a daily necessity for me. I am grateful for the freedom it has given me in my career, but at the same time, sometimes being chained to the computer is a headache.
7 years 11 months ago #22

Replied by Egghead on topic It's good and bad

I have a good friend who keeps his internet use to the minimum. Online banking and shopping are once a month events, and he belongs to no social networks at all. I do envy that freedom, and the amount of real time interaction he maintains with people as a result.
7 years 11 months ago #23

Replied by patse on topic Re: how have the internet impacted your life?

I agree that the Internet has both good and bad points. Kids do spend too much time online. This is something that the parents should be stopping though.
The Internet has saved me a lot of money. I download coupons daily. I also shop online and that is where I find the great deals.
8 years 1 day ago #24

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: how have the internet impacted your life?

Agree with what you posted for me. It has eliminated snail mail and paper correspondence which I had a hard time letting go of but, got'ta love it now and I do! :)
8 years 2 days ago #25

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: how have the internet impacted your life?

The internet has definitely changed my life. It is a tool that I use on a daily basis, even if it is only for a few minutes a day. I do my bills, shop, work, and chat with people all the time. I think it's changed our lives for the better.
8 years 2 days ago #26

Replied by Meya on topic Re: how have the internet impacted your life?

Yes, it has made me lazy but has also saved me time and money! Seems like I base my entire life on the internet. I have became more familiar with it since taking online classes at my current school, but as far as daily necessities, I depend on the internet for everything I normally used to do old school
> by mail, bus, or car. I barely watch the evening news and don't seem to care if I missed anything important because all I have to do is go on line to see what I have missed. I have caught myself becoming more lazy by ordering my groceries on line. I believe I save more money because of gas, and not being able to put something into my buggy that I knew was not on my list. I nearly snatched every hair out of my head when I caught a virus, if felt as though if someone had told me that my bank account have been robbed.

Just yesterday, I tripped because I use to go to into the bank to add money to my debit card. I was so lazy behind doing that until I went on line into my reserve line and slide funds over within 5 seconds. The internet does has its convenience, and I have not complained about it. Last but least, I have a special need son in the 3rd grade. During parent teacher conference, she was told me that they were introducing the kids to PC's, well to her surprise, she was shocked to learn that my son knew where ever key was on the board, shortcuts, and how to goggle. Thank you PC, lets see what statistics has to say about this. At first it was TV, then it went to games, lets see if PC's are going to destroy our kids....NOT!!!!
14 years 4 months ago #27

Replied by rwmtd on topic Re: how have the internet impacted your life?

Hello, well I am really going to make myself seem old but I have been using "internet" starting with Archie, Veronica (yes there are really names of users networks before pictures this was text only) I was using a 300 baud modem (compare that with 56K and it is slower than molasses) for over 18 years. This is before DSL, Cable modem ect.

I like the fact that you can shop, bank, pay bills, network and find out information (however, you have to be so carefull about the source of the information).

I've have been in IT (I've been known as the "computer lady") for around 10 years now and the internet has changed many things for the better and sometimes for the worse.

BJ (aka "the computer lady")
14 years 4 months ago #28

Replied by smcc on topic Re: how have the internet impacted your life?

The internet has its bad sides also. Remember before the internet, kids, and I am not saying all of them, used to go out and play when they had free time, the net has somewhat changed that. The net has given people the ability to find out more about each other than they could before, i.e. zabasearch. Then their are the sites that can show you how to make a bomb from your basement.

From a work standpoint the net brought about the telecommuter. Who doesn't like working from home while at the same time Big Brother has the ability for you to work from anywhere, i.e. production software crash and we need your assistance.

Many numerous good thing have evolved from the net, but at the same time society has been introduced to scenarios they wish they could just walk away from but can't
14 years 4 months ago #29
  • eugene66
  • eugene66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

was created by eugene66

This month I have be online for nine years and as i look back from starting with dial up to the present (dsl),the world wide web has been a big impact in my daily life tremendously.we now have access to information with a click of a button that usually you would have to drive to get and not to mention paying your bills online instead of waiting in long lines(ex.drivers license renewal)for hours.

I can name a lot of things so what do everyone think?:innocent:
14 years 4 months ago #30