And what do you do for a living ?

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

Thanks HJM for answering my question :) I didnt know how hard it was to actually do a complete detail, not hard but just time consuming.
15 years 3 months ago #61

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

1. All the cars that we've been working on so far are fairly new so we've had to polish any of them. We are probably going to need charge a little bit more for polish since it's more work and the cost of the supply.

2. Not familiar with that concept.

3. We are currently using products from 3 major manufacturers. For the wax, we use Turtle Wax and boy does it make your car shine. We also use Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash soap and we like it a lot because for those who don't want us to wax their car, their car will shine after a car wash. We also use Meguiar's interior products which leave a great scent and bring out the color of the interior. One of our favorites is Armor All. We use the Armor All Tire Shine Gel on the tires which makes the tire look nice and also we Armor All rim cleaner which cleans the wheels and makes the wheels shine.

4. Yes, our complete detail package includes the cleaning of both alloy and chrome wheels.

5. Based on our experience, one layer of Turtle Wax is enough to turn heads and makes your car shine it's tail off. We haven't tried two layers of wax because it will most likely remove the clear coat off your paint.
15 years 3 months ago #62
  • smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by smcc on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

So hjm331, or should I address you in the future as Mr. Maaco have some questions about your Detailiing Empire that is about to jump off in SoCal:
  • Does a complete detail include paint cleaner, polish, and wax for the exterior besides a basic wash?
  • Will you offer to "clay" the car should the paint need it ?
  • What product line will you offer the client when he wants the complete package, i.e. Mothers, McGuiers, Zymol, etc. ?
  • If the car has rims, will you offer a complete package that includes possible waxing of the rim depending on if its chrome, mag, Aluminum ?
  • If the client wants an additional layer of wax how long will you let the first layer "cure" before applying the second coat and will this additional time be at cost to the client ?
Inquiring minds want to know................ :cheesing:
15 years 3 months ago #63

RivasGlo, it all depends on the size of the car and what needs to be done. Not everyone wants a complete exterior and interior detail. It takes about 3 to 3.5 hours to completely finish detailing a car. Also, time will vary depending on the person detailing the car. I am very picky about my work and the results so I usually take more time to complete the job than my competition. I'd prefer to put out quality results than do a speedy job but results come out so-so.
15 years 3 months ago #64

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

Also, my friend and I are planning on starting an auto detailing business.

Oh man this reminds me! I need to get my car cleaned... I have not cleaned the inside or the outside in over 6 months!!!!!!!! Hahah can u imagine... The rain water cleans my car.

Anyways, HJM how long does it take to get a car detailed or whatever... A guy here at my APTs does this and he brings in fancy smancy cars and I feel like he spends his whole afternoon doing this!!!
15 years 3 months ago #65

Replied by charonh on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

Pam, you don't need to feel embarrassed since we all are understanding and don't judge one another. Being a homemaker is also considered a job and it also has it's income indirectly. When you take care of your kids, prepare a home cooked meal, keep the house clean, it allows your spouse to go work and bring in the income needed to pay the bills. You are doing your job and playing your role so don't worry too much. It would be nice to have ADDITIONAL income where you can have somebody watch your kids while you you're at work but that's a decision only you and your husband can make.

Ditto, hjm. Pam of all the jobs I've had, being a stay at home mother is the most rewarding. I get a raise or bonus each day I watch my children do something they couldn't the day before or read a book to me and know that I, alone, am responsible or when I get complimented on my good housekeeping (My family say that you can eat off of our floors, because they're so clean and I'm not bragging, just sharing). I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I personally am dreading the day I have to return to work.
15 years 3 months ago #66

Replied by charonh on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

Charonh, I have met many women such as yourself being here in Atlanta and my hat is off to you. 99% tell me they are going to meet their objectve (graduating) no matter what life throws at them.

Meya you make me smile and relive my past when I read that post. All of us have traveled different paths to get to where we are and you know if you don't continue to pursue your dreams no one is going to do it for you.

Maybe you can help me with these younger generations that expect to come out of high school not go to college or take up some kind of trade and want to make $20hr right off the bat.

Been in the IT world for 13 years Meya and had to pay my dues even when IT was the place to be back in the mid 90's. I do ok now, can't complain, but some of these younger kids Meya, want the Benz, the Bling, the house in that gated community and haven't worked a year since leaving school.

For those like Charonh, that degree be it A.S., B.S., MBA, PHD, is your ticket to making your dreams come true For the rest who think an Education isn't important listen to your elders and realize what they went through to get to where they are and realize that was while rasing you !

I'm not taking away from the people who didn't go to college and started a successful busines because small business is what makes America run but we all can't fall into that category

Thank you so much so smcc, I am determined to finish no matter what!
15 years 3 months ago #67

Replied by Meya on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

I got full confidence in you bro! Please, whatever you do, keep us posted at all times about your new business plan and how things are coming along. I will be excited to hear about it.
:white-flag:
15 years 3 months ago #68

I forgot to mention the fact that I write music and hope to make it in the music industry. Music has always been my passion and I hope that God will help me turn my dreams into reality.

Also, my friend and I are planning on starting an auto detailing business. It's going to be a partnership where split up the cost of the supply and profit 50/50. We are currently working on our skills so we are washing and detailing a car everyday for the next 2 weeks. They're not the cars of our clients, we are currently practicing on our neighbors' cars. We know what we are doing it's not like we are scratching the car. We are practicing so we can do a better job on our clients' cars soon and be efficient with the time that we have. This is going to be my second job so it looks like I am going to be working the whole day and hope it pays off soon.
15 years 3 months ago #69

Replied by KellBell on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

I'm a construction estimator- I stare at blueprints all day and put prices together. Then if I get awarded the job, I manage the ordering of materials and delegating work.

My husband is a technician for industrial laser equipment.

We're both lucky to be young and employed with reasonable salaries.

I am impressed at what all you people do to make ends meet here!
15 years 3 months ago #70
  • smcc
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

and if you never make it to California, thank Jesus even harder because there was something he saw that you could not, and he has his reasons

You know Meya that has crossed my mind more times than I want to admit here. I found a job just as my EDD money was running out and it seemed like the Lord pulled out of the fire at the right time.

I always think that I need to enhance my skill set to land that job that I know will become available in the near future in the Bay Area and that's why I'm here in Atlanta working presently and that's what keeps me motivated.

sometimes people interject that maybe God has better things planned for you and although you think going back to Cali is the answer, it might not always be the solution.

Thanks for the comment, keeps me grounded while at the same time standing on faith :cheesing:
15 years 3 months ago #71

Replied by pamela2 on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

Thanks guys you know what to say and i wanted to go back to work when Aleks started school this year, but with the crap that happened last year with the school i think i will home school him the first year and see what happens. I really miss interacting with other people there is only so much stuff i need to know about which dinosaur is a meat eater or plant eater. :laugh: :laugh: .
15 years 3 months ago #72

Replied by Meya on topic Re: And what do you do for a living ?

Hallelujah! You know that is on my goal for this year, going back to church. I was there faithfully on Wednesdays, Sunday school and afternoon services. When we traveled, I was always there. Actually, being in the choir keeps you busy. Just keep the faith smcc, and if you never make it to California, thank Jesus even harder because there was something he saw that you could not, and he has his reasons.
15 years 3 months ago #73
  • smcc
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Liked your posting Meya. I have to admit that from a financial standpoint that being here in Atlanta has been good to me as well as the job front. Thing is you never forget where you have come from and you always remember the hardships. Talk to God every morning on the way to work and thank him for the roof over my head, the food in my mouth, the full time job that I have and the ability to pay my bills. My dream that I stand on faith with God is to come back to California but I never end that prayer without letting God know how thankful I am for where I'm at right now.
15 years 3 months ago #74

:white-flag:
15 years 3 months ago #75