Adult College Student & Educational Loans

Replied by Wanderer on topic Adult College Student & Educational Loans

Great question ... it is do to less college seniors (census data) not drop out.
6 years 11 months ago #16

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Adult College Student & Educational Loans

Wanderer wrote: As a point of interest high school seniors are suppose to drop in physical numbers through 2025. That said, there would be less need for $135,000 PhD College professors who teach fall and spring semesters. How will that shake with state schools and private? Shortages of funding likely.

Does this mean we will have less high school seniors because there will be less kids of that age or because they will be dropping out? I'm just curious because if it's the latter, I find that pretty disturbing.
6 years 11 months ago #17

Replied by Tishbel on topic Adult College Student & Educational Loans

Wanderer wrote: As a point of interest high school seniors are suppose to drop in physical numbers through 2025. That said, there would be less need for $135,000 PhD College professors who teach fall and spring semesters. How will that shake with state schools and private? Shortages of funding likely.

I think they will either put prices up, making it harder for people to afford a college education, or they are going to try and fill the empty places with paying students from overseas by opening more places to students abroad. Academics will try almost anything before they consider cutting costs.
7 years 1 week ago #18

As a point of interest high school seniors are suppose to drop in physical numbers through 2025. That said, there would be less need for $135,000 PhD College professors who teach fall and spring semesters. How will that shake with state schools and private? Shortages of funding likely.
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Wanderer.
7 years 1 week ago #19

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Adult College Student & Educational Loans

Wanderer wrote: You make a really good point ... before investing in student loans determine the reality of a payback for the time and money to be invested.

It makes me wonder if we're going to see college attendance dropping in the future. The cost versus the paycheck when you graduate is so off kilter that it seems like it's starting to only make sense for professionals, like doctors and lawyers.
7 years 1 week ago #20

Replied by Lexie on topic Adult College Student & Educational Loans

The money is out there! You just have to find it. I bought a book several years ago about 2" thick entitled scholarships. You will have to jump through some hoops to get the money but it will be worth the effort in the long run.
7 years 1 week ago #21

You make a really good point ... before investing in student loans determine the reality of a payback for the time and money to be invested.
7 years 1 week ago #22

Replied by Tishbel on topic Adult College Student & Educational Loans

I don't know much about funding adult education, just that the fees are really high. The last time I looked at going back the cost really put me off, so I didn't go through with it. Is it possible to get a scholarship or funding? There are some charities and grant-making groups that provide money to students in certain groups, and the school you are going to might help you find them.
7 years 1 week ago #23

Replied by FrankN on topic Adult College Student & Educational Loans

$30K seems steep! But tuition just seems to keep going up and up. You need to make sure the return is there.
7 years 1 month ago #24

Replied by Lexie on topic Adult College Student & Educational Loans

I can't imagine 30K worth of tuition for 1.5 years unless you plan to live on campus. Could you spread the courses out over a few years and make it more affordable. Night classes are usually available for the working person. If you want to do it all at once, then go for the loan and pay it back later. Not much of an alternative here.
7 years 2 months ago #25

Replied by jordane on topic Re: Adult College Student & Educational Loans

Of course you want to fill out the FAFSA to see if you qualify for any financial aid. I have found that the best interest rate I could get was through my local bank. I took out a student loan through them. The college should be able to help you out too.
8 years 4 months ago #26

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Adult College Student & Educational Loans

FAFSA is already filled out as is my state aid application. I have to wait now. But I don't see getting any financial help for our government. Thought I would throw the question out on here for suggestions.

It really depends on your income. Even if you get a few thousand that would help! I'm not really sure how private student loans work, because they're moderated by the government now. They used to be run by the banks! But that's definitely your next step after you figure out how much FAFSA gets.
12 years 2 months ago #27
  • Nuovocapitolo
  • Nuovocapitolo's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Nuovocapitolo on topic Re: Adult College Student & Educational Loans

Fill this out ASAP]http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/[/URL]

My student loan is 4.5%.... but I only had like $2k.

FAFSA is already filled out as is my state aid application. I have to wait now. But I don't see getting any financial help for our government. Thought I would throw the question out on here for suggestions.
12 years 2 months ago #28

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Adult College Student & Educational Loans

Fill this out ASAP: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

My student loan is 4.5%.... but I only had like $2k.
12 years 2 months ago #29

Replied by derek1061 on topic Re: Adult College Student & Educational Loans

Im kind of going through the same thing, as far as student loans are concerned. The federal government offers student loans at extremely low interest rates, but its based upon certain financial qualifications, and not everyone qualifies. If you fid that you dont qualify for those loans then by all means check with your local credit union, as the tend to be more willing to help you and provide descent interest rates. Good luck
12 years 2 months ago #30