Does anyone really know what they are doing?

Replied by FrankN on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

JGIBBS, is that completely free?
6 years 2 months ago #1

Replied by JGibbs on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

I recently found babypips.com which I think is one of the best websites for learning about forex. I'm working through the School of Pipsology and the information is more clear than other programs I've tried.
6 years 2 months ago #2

Replied by Joker on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

I have to agree with FrankN about Motley Fool. I personally am a fan of investopedia, Market Watch, and WSJ. To each his own and research is the only real answer when it comes to investments.
6 years 2 months ago #3

Replied by JacksonM on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

JGibbs wrote:

FrankN wrote: Does anyone use investopedia? It is pretty helpful for basic info like this.

Yes, I'm a fan! I like the site much better than Motley Fool and Seeking Alpha for business and investment information. Investopedia is easier to understand and I don't think they have as much financially invested in their answers as the Motley Fool website. I especially get a lot out of their simulators and tutorials.

This isn't a site I was familiar with, but it's one I'd like to check out more. I like the idea of information provided for information's sake as opposed to ulterior motives.
6 years 3 months ago #4

That is good to hear and I agree. I think for a basic understanding, it is great.
6 years 4 months ago #5

Replied by JGibbs on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

FrankN wrote: Does anyone use investopedia? It is pretty helpful for basic info like this.

Yes, I'm a fan! I like the site much better than Motley Fool and Seeking Alpha for business and investment information. Investopedia is easier to understand and I don't think they have as much financially invested in their answers as the Motley Fool website. I especially get a lot out of their simulators and tutorials.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 4 months ago #6

Replied by Moneyes on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

I actually have that in my Bookmarks on my browser that I use for all things financial. There are times I use it everyday and times when I won't need it for months. But it's good to have it handy when I do need it.
6 years 4 months ago #7

Does anyone use investopedia? It is pretty helpful for basic info like this.
7 years 3 months ago #8

FrugalFran wrote: That's some good advice, Moneyes. To really grasp how it all works, you need to understand why we have the system in the first place and what it all means. You could also probably look up a glossary of terms that will help to understand the lingo of the industry.

You're right about that Fran, glossary's help a great deal. I have noticed over the years though that different people will use a different term to explain the same thing, so you have to watch out for that. The Binary stock scene is really bad with that.
7 years 3 months ago #9

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

That's some good advice, Moneyes. To really grasp how it all works, you need to understand why we have the system in the first place and what it all means. You could also probably look up a glossary of terms that will help to understand the lingo of the industry.
7 years 3 months ago #10

amieestahl wrote: I take some comfort knowing that there is even a topic like this. Whenever I try to read up on it, everything said is way out of my realm of understanding. I would love to be able to learn enough to even just understand where to start. This kind of motivates me to keep looking into it!

It might help to start at the beginning. For me, I started with learning what a stock actually is. From there, I learned why those stocks are traded in the first place.
7 years 3 months ago #11

Fortunately there are many helpful guides and courses out there online today. In fact there a re a few good beginning courses that can explain the fundamentals so you at least understand how it works (although at a high level).
7 years 5 months ago #12

Replied by Breakinger on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

I've always had a difficult time trying to figure out the stock market. It's something that I've always wanted to learn, but I've never had the time or a good enough teacher. I guess this is why they have people who specialize in these types of investments. That way they are always up-to-date on new information when it arrives.
7 years 6 months ago #13

Replied by amieestahl on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

I take some comfort knowing that there is even a topic like this. Whenever I try to read up on it, everything said is way out of my realm of understanding. I would love to be able to learn enough to even just understand where to start. This kind of motivates me to keep looking into it!
7 years 6 months ago #14

Also speculation is very different than investing. I consider those completely different things.
7 years 9 months ago #15