Expert advice on CD programs needed

Replied by hjm331 on topic It really depends on the

It really depends on the agreement at the time of signing up. Different banks offer different types of CD accounts. Some banks allow you to open a CD $1k or $2k and some require more. They also state the amount of time your money will have to stay in your account. Usually, the longer your money stays in your CD, the higher the interest rate the bank will offer you.

Here's an example of a short term, low interest rate CD:

http://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/checksave/index.cfm?template=cd_investment

16 years 1 day ago #16

Replied by alpha on topic Hi I've seen ads for CD's

Hi
I've seen ads for CD's that you could add to -- but it's not the usual way. They make a big deal about it when they do run one that you can put additional money in. Usually it's only a specific amount though. If you want to be adding money over a period of time, I'd try a money market or maybe even a savings account with a high rate.
16 years 1 day ago #17

Replied by smcc on topic Good evening Scribes. Now Eric

Good evening Scribes. Now Eric can correct me here if I'm wrong but if you open a basic CD for whatever the time may be, i.e. 6, 12, 18 months, you can't add money to the CD on its way to maturity. Now once it matures, you can add to it and go for another term. Problem is Scribes as the Federal Reserve makes it easier for the banks to borrow money, the banks in turn pay less on the CD's. Have you thought about Savings Bonds, Money Market Accounts, or other low risk ventures? You don't speak about how much risk your willing to take with your money
16 years 1 day ago #18
  • Scribes
  • Scribes's Avatar Topic Author

was created by Scribes

Hello. I'm about to start a freelance project which will pay a nice monthly income for us. My question is on CDs. Can I get started with $1,000 and slowly add funds into it every month? Are there recommended programs I can get started in? I want to make as much money with the money I deposit that I can. :-)
16 years 1 day ago #19