Savings method for child

Replied by alpha on topic Those 529 college savings plans

Those 529 college savings plans are great -- my sister set them up for her children. Of course a more ordinary CD or savings account would be good if you want to let the child build up money and then use it for something other than college.
15 years 11 months ago #16

Replied by princee18 on topic i think that the savings

i think that the savings account is the best option to secure a child's future.It could be very helpul for his studies and other expenditures.
15 years 11 months ago #17

Replied by lyyssa01 on topic CDs are great, but right

CDs are great, but right now the interest rate is so low, it's almost not even worth it. There may be other places that you can invest your money in for kids that would have bigger returns. But I would suggest having at least $1000 CD. And of course, it never hurts to add to it just not making it your main saving method for your kids education. A 5 year CD right now is only at 3.24%. That's quite low. If you were to put in $1000 and add in $500 for the next 4 years you would end up with about $3342.00 at maturity date. But out of that amount you would have put in $3000. So basically, you would only make $342. That's not a lot for 5 years.

My mom gave me advice several years ago to never lock away your money into a 3-5 year CD unless the interest is at least 7%. Back in the late 1970s, early 1980s my mom made a killing on her CD when the interest rate was at its highest. I'll have to ask her, she remembers the exact amount she put in, the interest at the time, and the amount she ended up with.

After 9/11 interest rate plummeted, and even though it's recovering its been a slow process.
16 years 1 week ago #18

Replied by dreamr802 on topic I would get a CD,

I would get a CD, when my boyfriend and I decide to have children I'm going to set up a CD account with $1000 in it and then every year add $500 to it so then by the time they are 18 they will have a decent amount of money for college.
16 years 1 week ago #19

Replied by saurabh on topic hi there i think that the

hi there
i think that the savings for such a child can be done through nice insurance policies.the sum of money may be used by him for his higher studies.
16 years 1 week ago #20

Replied by sophie on topic It’s a great idea to

It’s a great idea to set up a savings account for your child. I always had one growing up and when my parents were not skimming it, I came out pretty good.

16 years 3 weeks ago #21

Replied by jnjsarauer on topic Our local credit union allows

Our local credit union allows members to open cd's with as little as $100, so shop around and see what options are available in your area. I think cds are better than savings in most cases for long term savings, but look into some of the online savings options too. Their rates tend to be pretty good.
16 years 3 weeks ago #22

Replied by Finance Globe on topic And we have that card

And we have that card in the system too :cool:
https://www.financeglobe.com/Finance/card922.php
16 years 3 weeks ago #23

Replied by Lyyssa on topic The 529 plan is very

The 529 plan is very popular and is highly recommended by the "experts".

Here is some more info about it:

http://www.savingforcollege.com/college_savings_201/
16 years 3 weeks ago #24

Replied by descorpio on topic Well i could say a

Well i could say a number of ways. But the best would be to follow the parents. because children at their young age do watch their parents and try to imitate them. So if parents do activities of saving before them, it will definately inspire them. I think this could be one of the best ideas
16 years 4 weeks ago #25

Replied by felics on topic I remember my mother setting

I remember my mother setting up a savings account for me. When I was older enough, she would take me along to the bank and let me make the deposit. After a while, she would just order me to do it all by myself along with her bank account.
16 years 2 months ago #26

Replied by sweetangel on topic I would personally say try

I would personally say try those book and audibles from mr robert Kiosaki the famous author of rich dad poor dad and smart kid rich kid. He could Give info on your kids what necessary mindset is need to be in a money industry.
16 years 3 months ago #27

Replied by Cymru on topic I setup a saving account

I setup a saving account for my kids with my bank, its high interest rate and you have to give 90 days if you want to withdraw, its stops me or my husband raiding it
16 years 3 months ago #28

Replied by Meya on topic I use the savings account

I use the savings account so that I can go in and borrow when an emergency comes up. If it was my savings account, I would not feel like I have to pay it back right away, but since it is my kids, I make sure that it is put back asap.
16 years 3 months ago #29

Replied by hjm331 on topic Susan, if you're going to

Susan, if you're going to open a CD, you're most likely going to need a few thousand dollars to deposit into the account. How much do you have saved up for your grandson so I can help you find a good deal?

If you have $5,000 saved up, then this is a good choice because you have a fixed 4.7% which doesn't change while your money is in the account. Plus it's a short term account which lets you withdraw money every 4 months.

Here's the link to it:

http://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/checksave/index.cfm?template=cd_investment&context=tabpage_Features#
16 years 3 months ago #30