IRA accounts

• alpha
  • alpha's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by alpha on topic That's a good point about

That's a good point about the low yield accounts. I guess on the one hand it's better to be earning something than having the money in your mattress, but no sense in creating accounts if you aren't going to try to make more.
15 years 11 months ago #16

Replied by dallasld on topic I have a ROTH IRA

I have a ROTH IRA account. Right now it is 100% stocks, I am still young so I can afford to put it into stocks since I don't need it right away. Eventually I am going to have to start rolling some money into Bonds, but not anytime soon.

You have to be careful about low yield savings and money market accounts. If they aren't earning you a return equal to inflation then you are actually losing money.
15 years 11 months ago #17
  • alpha

Replied by alpha on topic Thanks! Sounds smart to be

Thanks! Sounds smart to be more aggressive with the smaller amounts of money
:cheesing:
I understand that there are different kinds of IRA's -- depending on how much income you make. Seems like it wouldn't make any difference about the type of IRA as to whether you used stocks or bonds, though.
15 years 11 months ago #18

Replied by lndbar5 on topic My husband and I have

My husband and I have an IRA that we have had for years. We have always had mostly high yield stocks. My husband is within 10 years of retiring, so we are starting to move the stocks into a lower yielding (safer) assortment. I have an IRA that I haven't had very long, I chose very aggresive stocks. Mostly because I don't have alot of money invested, and I wanted to see if I could get a fast growth (hopefully) or lose it (hope not!)
15 years 11 months ago #19
  • alpha

was created by alpha

Do you have an IRA account -- for those in the US? If you do, are you putting it more in stocks or bonds or doing something safe but low yield like money markets?
15 years 11 months ago #20