gemb has reduced my credit card limit

• eugene66
  • eugene66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

OMG that is terrible! I wonder what excuse they used...

I asked her why they did that to her dad but she really could not get to the details thoroughly but it had something to do with his morgtage and zip code..:confused:
15 years 5 months ago #16

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

25k to 1k within 2 months

OMG that is terrible! I wonder what excuse they used...
15 years 5 months ago #17

Replied by Meya on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

The creditors are on a cld tweak mission. They are hurting the well paid customers and treating them (us) like animals. Come on now, before the crisis, they did not care about how much you owed other creditors as long as you paid on time. Now they are soft pulling in our reports to see how much we owe others. What they should focus off of is that we are paying them, regardless if it is min balance, and did not file bk or made a late payment during this crisis.

This has hit us at a hard time, especially for the re builders, but what I am so glad to not see is that none of us gave up. We are still here fighting to rebuild regardless to what the creditors think of our account(s) handling. I am giving thumbs up to all of us, because no matter what happened, we are still able to hang in there. Let's focus and give all of FG members props (kudos) for sticking together, and not letting the credit crunch hold us back. Love you all!
15 years 5 months ago #18
  • eugene66
  • eugene66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

today on my job i was talking to a friend about what happened to me and to make sure to keep people informed on what's going on. she told me that her father's amex( he is a CEO of a marketing firm) dropped his credit limit from 25k to 1k within 2 months:shocked:...so suddenly i feel really small about my situation.:embarrassed:
15 years 5 months ago #19

Replied by charonh on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

SMCC that's what I am afraid of which is why I plan to get all of mine below 40% before next year. Citibank has not decreased my overall credit line on one of my cards, but they did decrease the cash line amount from $1500 to $500, which I'm ok with. I hadn't planned on using that feature anyway, but it did/does let me know that they are monitoring me. HJM331 what reason did Amex give you for your decrease, I can't find that post, if you don't mind my asking?
15 years 5 months ago #20

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

I agree with Charonh and Smcc. When the banks looks at your reports and see that you are carrying large balance on your other cards, they are worried that you will do the same to their card and not be able to pay them back. That is the reason why creditors are reducing credit lines right now. Too many consumers are losing their homes, cars, and filing BK since they can't pay their bills. When they file BK, the consumers also include their credit cards in the BK and that's what the banks are worried about. It wasn't a huge problem few years ago but now that the percentage of consumers filing BK/not able to pay their bills has increased, the banks are limiting their exposure.
15 years 5 months ago #21

Replied by smcc on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

Charonh, all the banks are trying to do is limit their exposure when it comes to these limits on credit cards. If they see you maxed out on other cards, the first thing they are thinking is "Will she be able to pay us in full?" If they see your are making minimum payments with other issuers as well as themselves they might think "If it comes down to them or us, who will she pay?"

I would think that when the bank does a soft pull that they keep those pulls and watch the pattern you have in regards to payment history. You could show a consistent pattern of paying down all your cards, but again, they might think your not paying it down fast enough, who knows..........
15 years 5 months ago #22

Well they haven't reduced mine yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Keep the account open like others have said, it makes no sense to close it at this point; just don't use it as much, but make sure you do use it ever now and then so they won't close it. The only reasons I would close an account would be due to a rate increase, or ones that have annual fees or excessive monthly and service fees (once I re-established myself). I wonder what they are going by with these credit limit decreases, because I am pretty much maxed out on most of my other credit cards so I would be a good candidate for one in my opinion. It is impossible to know what these banks are thinking :scared:.
15 years 5 months ago #23

I absolutely dislike GEMB out of all my credit issuers. I was upset when chevron sold their accounts to them. They are too conservative for me and now this. I haven't checked my chevron card yet, but I'm trying to do so right now and their website is acting up. I currently have a $0 balance on my chevron card, so they may have decreased me too. My lowes card is issued by them also and they started me out with $300 limit, what can you do with that in a home store; it has a $0 balance too. Its just ridiculous and when I asked for an increase they declined my request and stated high utilization on other cards as the reason. I try to avoid them at all costs. They only good thing I can say about them is that my Rooms to Go card was issued by them with a $6K limit. However, anytime I ask for a increase on any of my cards, they do a soft inquiry on all three accounts I have with them (don't know why, but they do) I will keep you guys posted.
15 years 5 months ago #24

Replied by smcc on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

Obviously the cards that are important to all of us are getting the limits reduced not so much for the history of the card but by the handling of other cards that we might carry. Sounds like when observing payment history on the other cards they don't see the cards being paid down fast enough or not to their liking. You would think that if they see the cards being paid down on a consistent basis and the usage is either minimal or none that they would take into consideration one's ability to decrease their exposure to other creditors and at the same time maintain a good payment history with them
15 years 5 months ago #25

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

I can't wait to read the letter stating the reasons for the CLD. :sleepy:
15 years 5 months ago #26

Replied by pamela2 on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

Hi everyone! Well Dillards lowered my credit limit from 350.00 (i know thats not alot compared to some) to 190.00 and i have never been late on the card and i just had a 82.00 balance. O well lets see if i get it back for Christmas or its gonna keep my socks company for a while. :cheesing: :cheesing:
15 years 5 months ago #27

Replied by cireone on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

Well, recently AmEx admitted to lowering CL not just for credit scores or utilization but even which businesses you patronize. So thats going above and beyond of protecting themselves.
15 years 5 months ago #28

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

You are so welcome. Guess what? Do you know Amex had the nerves to lower hjm331 cl? NO lates, no balance, not an extravagant limit, give me a serious break Amex, this is pitiful

This is just getting to be stupid. Like okay, if we have a zero balance, your gonna CLD me, why? because either 1/something on my cbr or 2/i dont use the card enough 3/use the card too much.

HELLO YOU ALL BANKS! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US! :shocked:
15 years 5 months ago #29

Replied by Meya on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

You are so welcome. Guess what? Do you know Amex had the nerves to lower hjm331 cl? NO lates, no balance, not an extravagant limit, give me a serious break Amex, this is pitiful.:upset:
15 years 5 months ago #30