Ten Tips to Prevent Identity Theft

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Ten Tips to Prevent Identity Theft

I have done this a couple times, and its very easy to find TONs of information. NO matter how careful you are, someone would likely be able to steal your identity if they wanted to.
6 years 8 months ago #1

Replied by CentsibleSaver on topic -

Thanks for sharing this information! Identity theft is scary stuff and something I'd rather not experience first hand. Much better to avoid it all together than to clean it up later.
6 years 9 months ago #2

Replied by Lexie on topic Re: Ten Tips to Prevent Identity Theft

You can't be too careful when it comes to identity theft. However, if a dishonest person has targeted you for some reason, there are may ways to get your information without you knowing. Have you ever googled yourself? It's scary the personal information that's out there.
6 years 9 months ago #3

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Ten Tips to Prevent Identity Theft

Maybe it was his ex before you, you know how these females get down. HATERS!:laugh:
15 years 6 months ago #4

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: Ten Tips to Prevent Identity Theft

I pray to God that I am never a victim of ID theft. I posted somewhere on this board about a guy that I used to date and he was a victim of ID theft. I wrote all of the letters and provided all of the proof to show none of the items belonged to him and they removed it. Also they put alerts on his credit report and on his ss#. And don't you know a cell phone company called him because someone was trying to take a cell phone out in his name. He quickly told the man what had happened to him and hopefully the locked the person up right there on the spot
15 years 6 months ago #5

Hey Kiejon, remember when we were talking to someone in the credit card reviews about how someone ( business) can get your name+address, and look into your credit report? I just read an article that fits what we were talking about from Mary Tomkins, take a look at it https://www.financeglobe.com/Finance/Articles/articles/51/1/Your-Credit-Report---Creditors-Aren039t-the-Only-Ones-Looking/Page1.html

As us Frisco girls say, "The gurl is bad" + "She know her stuff"
:white-flag:
15 years 7 months ago #6

Good info, thanks Kiejon!:white-flag:

Our editor Mary Tomkins put a good article out about this also at https://www.financeglobe.com/Finance/Articles/articles/68/1/Identity-Thieves-Use-Any-Tactic-To-Steal-Your-Personal-Information/Page1.html

Lets bring all the identiy theft in here, it is very important.:white-flag:
15 years 7 months ago #7
  • KIEJON9
  • KIEJON9's Avatar Topic Author

was created by KIEJON9

Ten Tips to Prevent Identity Theft

Identity theft and account fraud are making big headlines. They happen when someone steals personal information such as your bank account number or Social Security number and then poses as you, either cleaning out your account or running up debt in your name or both. The threat is real, and the government estimates 500,000 people are victimized by these crimes each year.
Your bank works hard every day to ward off these threats, but maximum security is possible only with your help. Learn how you can monitor your credit and guard against identity fraud , and follow these tips to help stop these crimes before they happen - and protect your assets and your good name:
1. Don't give out financial information such as checking and credit card numbers - and especially your Social Security number - on the phone unless you initiated the call and know the person or organization you're dealing with. Don't give that information to any stranger, even one claiming to be from your bank. 2. Report lost or stolen checks immediately. Your bank will block payment on the check numbers involved. Also, review new deliveries of checks to make sure none has been stolen in transit. 3. Store cancelled checks - and new checks - in a safe place. 4. Notify your banker of suspicious phone inquiries, such as those asking for account information to "verify a statement" or "award a prize." 5. Guard your ATM Personal Identification Number and ATM receipts. Thieves can use them to access your accounts. 6. Don't throw away financial solicitations that arrive in your mailbox. Tear them up so thieves can't use them to assume your identity. Tear up any other financial documents such as bank statements or invoices before disposing of them. 7. Don't put outgoing mail in or on your mailbox. Drop it into a secure, official Postal Service collection box. Thieves may use your mail to steal your identity. 8. If regular bills fail to reach you, call the company to find out why. Someone may have filed a false change-of-address notice to divert your information to his or her address. 9. If your bills include suspicious items, don't ignore them. Instead, investigate immediately to head off any possible fraud before it occurs. 10. Periodically contact the major credit reporting companies to review your file and make certain the information is correct. For a small fee, you can obtain a copy of your credit report at any time. The three major credit bureaus are:

Equifax 800-685-1111
Experian 888-397-3742
TransUnion 800-916-8800
15 years 7 months ago #8