Speaking of Fraud

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

Usually the credit card company would handle that pretty smoothly. I have added duplicate charges on there and have had a good track record with the credit card company easily taking them off.
7 years 6 months ago #1

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

Breakinger, that's just absurd of that store to think they could re-scan everything. It's a good thing you didn't let them because it probably would have been a hassle to have the second charge removed from your bill.
7 years 6 months ago #2

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

That is really scary, Patse. I had an issue with a store once where I used their credit card machine to swipe my card and then something happened to the system while I was signing and it didn't print a receipt. The store wanted to go through and rescan all of my items so that they could charge me again. I told them no and if I hadn't done that then I would have been charged twice for everything because it showed up on my bill that the charges went through.
7 years 6 months ago #3

Replied by patse on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

FrankN wrote: Yes it is very easy, and you should not have any problem resolving it with a credit card company. Debit cards are more difficult.

I had a scare last week. I thought that someone scammed my account. Turns out it was just a faulty credit card machine. I was scared that it would be hard to prove I didn't make the charges.
7 years 7 months ago #4

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

Yes it is very easy, and you should not have any problem resolving it with a credit card company. Debit cards are more difficult.
7 years 8 months ago #5

Replied by Moneyes on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

ColoNative wrote:

If I find a fraudulent transaction in my account, can I really convince the card issuer to write off that transaction because it isn't mine? How?

You simply call customer service and begin the dispute process. If the bank finds that you did not make the purchase then that amount gets written off.

And in this day and age when tracking where a person is and when they are there, it shouldn't be too hard to prove that.
7 years 8 months ago #6

Replied by belle on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

I couldn't believe it...
This morning when I log in...Backtrack,
I am one of those folks who log into their accounts and check
everything everyday. Thats just how I do...
So I log in and see a pending charge. This is a card I don't
normally use. I call them up and ask what the pending charge
is about. They told me it relates to Napster. I said No, I don't use
Napster. I'm so busy I would even have the time and patience
to deal with them. So they give me the customer service number
and I give them a call. After asking me some questions, The rep
apologizes and tells me that my card is one of the ones that has
been linked to an online user who has used tons of other credit
cards which is fraudulent. Thats just great, another card I have
to cancel in six months because of the same issue. I don't
know how these people do it? I had them cancel the card etc.
I'm so careful about shredding and taking precautions and I'm
being targeted for some reason? Totally insane and fustrating

That's scary! good thing that they canceled your card without making you pay for that fraudulent charge.
13 years 11 months ago #7

Replied by hanna on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

You simply call customer service and begin the dispute process. If the bank finds that you did not make the purchase then that amount gets written off.

I hope it's as easy as it sounds ColoNative. :cheesing: But I hope it won't happen to me. *crosses fingers*
13 years 11 months ago #8

Replied by mark1234 on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

that was a sad thing that happened to you..be careful when you give your card details on the net..and always monitor the transactions of your account..
14 years 2 weeks ago #9

Replied by julienne on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

Because in this world, you have to understand that "Fraud" can not only come from outside thieves, it can be coming from the person who is filing the claim themselves. In the Investigations Department there will always be a job available

:laugh: I never thought of that Meya. It's possible. :laugh:
14 years 3 weeks ago #10

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Speaking of Fraud

If I find a fraudulent transaction in my account, can I really convince the card issuer to write off that transaction because it isn't mine? How?

14 years 1 month ago #11

Are we really sure that the padlock sign really says the site is secure? Can't it be used by unsecured sites as well just so they can get their hands on sensitive card info? I'm starting to get paranoid about online buying too..

You can't be 100% certain, but you should always look for it.
14 years 1 month ago #12

Julienne, credit card number purchasing is actually a huge business. You don't have to brace yourself for theft. You just have to be proactive in protecting and being smart your card info. This includes monitoring your account.

14 years 1 month ago #13

You can tell if it is a secure site by the padlock symbol on the lower right had corner of your browser. This typically only shows up when you are paying. Also, with newer versions of Windows, the address bar will turn green to let you know that you are in a secure site.

Are we really sure that the padlock sign really says the site is secure? Can't it be used by unsecured sites as well just so they can get their hands on sensitive card info? I'm starting to get paranoid about online buying too...:scared:
14 years 1 month ago #14

This is the first time I heard that credit card numbers can be sold. That's scary. So does this mean we'll just have to brace ourselves for whatever may happen whenever we use our credit cards for buying merchandise?

Like Finance Globe said, just take simple steps in avoiding fraud. Especially when shopping online, be sure it is a site you can trust and make sure that it is a secured website when it comes time to entering your card#. You can tell if it is a secure site by the padlock symbol on the lower right had corner of your browser. This typically only shows up when you are paying. Also, with newer versions of Windows, the address bar will turn green to let you know that you are in a secure site.
14 years 1 month ago #15