IRS Stimulus payments

• alpha
  • alpha's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by alpha on topic In some states the Attorney

In some states the Attorney General's office also has a fraud department where they keep track of scams that are being operated in the state. So you can report to them as well.
16 years 1 week ago #1

Replied by scribbler on topic It's wise to keep your

It's wise to keep your wits about you with any such unsolicited call. If it's by phone, say you're busy right now and ask them for a name and number to call back on. Then get out your phone book and contact the legitimate office to ask if they're making such calls. If they say no, report it to the police, your bank and the company's security department.

Don't just call straight back the same number they gave you! They could supply you with any old number and answer it saying " IRS". Chances are they won't be willing to give you a number at all, in which case you should smell a rat.

It's the old adage - if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is. Never ever give out over the phone things like Soc Security numbers or checking account information.
16 years 1 week ago #2

Replied by Finance Globe on topic I have heard of id

I have heard of id theft similar to this, where the thieves submit false tax returns with a temporary mailing address and cash in on your check.

The story that Alpha told reminded me of those tax refund advance shops / loan sharks.
16 years 1 week ago #3
  • alpha
  • alpha's Avatar Topic Author

was created by alpha

One thing that is a new scam is these people who email or call up and say they're with the IRS and they can get you your stimulus payment faster (you know, those checks that the government will be sending out as a kind of tax rebate this year).
Of course, in order to "help" you they need to have your checking account number.

I can't believe some people are falling for this but evidently they are. :worried:
16 years 2 weeks ago #4