Unemployment Rate Down to 9.5%

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Unemployment Rate Down to 9.5%

Certainty a hard number to track and rely on. Just to put some positive prospective, I know it wouldn't account for people who took pay cuts, moved, and or downsized to get a job, BUT that in general is still better for the overall economy if that person was not working at all. Every little bit counts.

Overall I agree with what people are saying, just wanted to put another perspective out there :)
7 years 7 months ago #16

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Unemployment Rate Down to 9.5%

My view is what you said plus those who quit seeking employment and where are all these new jobs? Also, are they all janitors when the displaced workers build aircraft or they work in a mine ... this information is always lacking in the unemployment reports. Yes, you can move several hundred miles to relieve your unemployed status and become a general maintenance worker for $10 an hour ... who covers the relocation costs and I could go on. I am sure my rant has covered most of it.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Wanderer.
7 years 8 months ago #17

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Unemployment Rate Down to 9.5%

I don't even pay attention to the unemployment rate anymore because it doesn't account for all the people who have taken wage cuts just to get back in the workforce. Folks getting back to work is great, but if they lost their house because they had to take a job that paid half of what they previously made, there's still a problem.
7 years 8 months ago #18

Replied by Curry on topic Re: Unemployment Rate Down to 9.5%

Wanderer wrote:

Its down because people are loosing hope and have exhausted their benifits. Ive also heard on the news that people are out looking on their own instead of using job links and other sources.

This is the today and tomorrow unless we bring the jobs home! I haven't heard any electeds pursuing such and approach!!! :white-flag:

And we still don't. It's our fault though when we don't tell them what to focus on. We just sit back and listen to what THEY want to focus on.

But look at the bright side.....if the numbers say that 10% are unemployed and you need to tack on 5% just because of the retarded way they figure it, that still leaves roughly an 85% employment rate. 85% of the 200 million or so people who are able to work and be counted? That's a sizeable number. All of sudden he glass is MORE than half full.
7 years 8 months ago #19

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Unemployment Rate Down to 9.5%

Its down because people are loosing hope and have exhausted their benifits. Ive also heard on the news that people are out looking on their own instead of using job links and other sources.

The job numbers are really interesting to watch... suddenly we see a drop in unemployment... don't get excited however, the temporary census workers were laid off and many people ran out of the extended unemployment benefits where they drop out of the unemployment statistics ... yeah lower unemployment...? go follow the real happenings with business in the Wall Street Journal and get the pulse of industry... then convince me :sleepy:. When you look at outsourcing and new world globalization the economy of the United States is going through more than a recession... we are going through a new order restructuring for jobs of the future and what type of work will exist... we sent manufacturing overseas (example Ford Motor Company reopenned it Ford Fiesta Car Plant in Mexico paying less than $4.50 per hour with ten thousand applicants and two thousand jobs - hey... the UAW in the US offered to work for less than half the present average US Auto worker wage of $22 hour but most of the cars would be sold in Mexico and why pay more then a $1.50 per hour the final wage I believe... this is the way of the world). Folks there is a new order in employment coming and men will have to learn occupations geared for the service industry. If you look at the higher education statistics in Minnesota greater than 50% of the students are female... what are the men going to do as manufacturing is fading away...? This is the today and tomorrow unless we bring the jobs home! I haven't heard any electeds pursuing such and approach!!! :white-flag:
13 years 9 months ago #20

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Unemployment Rate Down to 9.5%

13 years 9 months ago #21
  • marylan73
  • marylan73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher