My credit union membership

Replied by kforbes86 on topic Re: My credit union membership

I recently found out exactly what joeyman said. I opened a credit card with The state employees credit union i am a member of, and when i got the card i found out it is serviced by tmg financial, which is part of the iowa credit union league. The credit union still makes all decisions on the accounts themselves, but "servicing" is done by the other company.
12 years 9 months ago #1

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: My credit union membership

Hello all,

I've haven't posed in a while (but I have been keeping up with FG posts). Well, I bit the bullet and I am now a member at SFFCU based in Kensington, Maryland. The customer service is out of this world (they called me personally to ask if everything was ok).

I've been a bank customer a number of years and in all of those years I don't remember ever being treated like "I" mattered.

I've been taking some money management classes and the first thing that the instructor said was to join a credit union and forget about the banks!

Excellent news! I couldn't agree anymore, I love my credit union. When you research a credit card account in the future, ask to see if they co-brand the accounts. Often times regional banks and credit unions will co-brand credit cards to companies like Elan Financial Services, which is owned by U.S. Bank. In turn this would exhaust the idea of using a "not-for-profit" credit union because obviously U.S. Bank is for-profit. I found out my credit union does not co-brand, here in Portland, Oregon.

I am thinking about moving my savings to an American Express High Yield Savings Account, other than that, my credit union offers me everything I need to bank well.
12 years 9 months ago #2
  • rwmtd
  • rwmtd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

was created by rwmtd

Hello all,

I've haven't posted in a while (but I have been keeping up with FG posts). Well, I bit the bullet and I am now a member at SFFCU based in Kensington, Maryland. The customer service is out of this world (they called me personally to ask if everything was ok).

I've been a bank customer a number of years and in all of those years I don't remember ever being treated like "I" mattered.

I've been taking some money management classes and the first thing that the instructor said was to join a credit union and forget about the banks! :fun:

Once I've been with them a while I will take a look at refinancing my auto loan and will open a credit card account with them as well.

All I can say is CU's are the way to go!!

TIA,

BJ (aka rwmtd)
12 years 9 months ago #3