Rent Credit Reporting

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Rent Credit Reporting

That is a good point. Honestly if I were a landlord I would probably not want to deal with that.
7 years 6 months ago #16

Replied by patse on topic Re: Rent Credit Reporting

I agree that it is another bill and should be allowed on your report. I doubt most landlords would want to report it though. It is probably a hassle and I would not want to report either.
7 years 6 months ago #17

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Rent Credit Reporting

FrankN wrote: I have heard some reporting bureaus don't accept this on their report, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. Has anyone else heard of this before?

I've never heard of this, but then I've never heard of rent being reported in the first place. I think it's a good idea because it's a bill like any other, but it would have to be accepted by all the bureaus for it to be worth it, in my opinion.
7 years 6 months ago #18

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Rent Credit Reporting

I have heard some reporting bureaus don't accept this on their report, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. Has anyone else heard of this before?
7 years 6 months ago #19

Replied by patse on topic Re: Rent Credit Reporting

piper wrote: I guess no one knows anything about this service. I think I am going to pass for now. I pay my rent through my bank's billypay system but thought it would be worth the 4.95/mo to have it reported as good credit. I would think more people would be talking about it if it were really that good I suppose.

I've never heard of this before. I would think that some people would be willing to pay a fee to have their rent payment reported to increase their score. I think a lot of younger people rent and I don't really think that the younger generation is worried about their credit score.
7 years 7 months ago #20

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Rent Credit Reporting

Is this still something that most landlords are still doing? I never realized that they will report your payment history to your credit report. Does this mean that they will also report any missed payments which will make your score decrease? This could be something very knowledgeable for younger people who are just starting out.
7 years 7 months ago #21
  • Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Rent Credit Reporting

piper - patience is a virtue. Sometimes the right person has not crossed the FG website to answer your question.

At this point I will say that in my years on FG, I have never heard or read any comments on Micro Bilt Corp and their credit products. I can go on to say I have not heard of anyone paying a fee to have credit reported. Now based on my own last eleven years of credit rebuilding along with FG comments, credit lenders of all kinds utilize FICO, Vantage (Trans Union), Plus (Experian) or Equifax's Model. As my memory serves me, almost 80% use some form of FICO Score. Now many lenders have their own risk model that runs off of FICO Scores to come up with what level of risk they are willing to offer credit at. Level of risk and the lender's model will vary with market conditions... example is to look at how using the FG "Score Match" for cards you will find the FICO Scores on virtually every card has dropped (suggested minimum to qualify) in the last six months. Today, many FGer's have had hits with Discover Cards and Citi Bank Cards. We all share our findings and then assess our opportunity for a score on a card.

It would only be my educated guess that reporting to the big three is where it is at. However, car dealers have a special reporting from the big three CR's and insurance companies like LexisNexis Consumer Services. So maybe landlords also use other credit suppliers. Utility companies often go to other suppliers of credit information rather than the big three... so who knows for sure. Truth, everyone has their way of doing it so we can generalize about it. Banks openning new checking, savings, certificate of deposits and such products often pull from ChexSystems Reporting so it could be a mix depending on what the lender/employer needs....?
12 years 4 months ago #22

Replied by piper on topic Re: Rent Credit Reporting

With a little more research I discovered that they report to PRBC and not the major 3. Not sure if that would affect Fico score or not? Anyone know anything about PRBC?
12 years 4 months ago #23

I guess no one knows anything about this service. I think I am going to pass for now. I pay my rent through my bank's billypay system but thought it would be worth the 4.95/mo to have it reported as good credit. I would think more people would be talking about it if it were really that good I suppose.
12 years 4 months ago #24

Hi all,

I'm new here but am very interested in getting credit for my rent. Can anyone tell me if williampaid.com is a legit site to help build your credit score with a good rental history? I usually have good luck researching things but can't seem to find any other info except for the site itself or bloggers that I suspect are paid to praise it. No negative reports from BBB but it still doesn't tell me if it actually helps repair credit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
12 years 4 months ago #25

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Rent Credit Reporting

Thing is Wanderer, those owners who rent very few units, they probably won't report. Those who just want to keep their units full at all times (like they all don't) who could care less probably won't do so either.

People who are looking to move into an apartment will probably want to know if the owner is reporting; like you said it will help their overall history by making their rent payments in a timely manner.
13 years 2 months ago #26
  • Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

was created by Wanderer

New credit reporting for those who pay rent. Effective January 2011, Experian Credit Bureau is now placing rental payment status reporting on consumer credit reports. Experian's view is that since rent is often times the single largest monthly expense, consumers should get credit for it. Note, landlords would need to report renter's performance inorder to show the results in a consumer credit report.

My thought is more money for Experian and what if your credit isn't the best. One more place to ding consumers. It's enough insurance, employment and housing purchases run through the credit bureaus and now renters. Is this a ploy to increase the number of homeless? Well it could be good for renters to build credit too!
13 years 2 months ago #27