Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

I know a person who waited 10 years. Rent so high in San Francisco and individuals are blessed to get into an apartment that base the rent according to your income. I know a few people who have been there every since their parents had the place. When their parents past away, if the child was still on the lease, the lease is then turned over to the adult child.

The only reason why I turned it down is because I have a cool landlord, who is a member of our church, it is a house and i have more privacy with no complaints of my children who act like cowboys, and I do not have to worry about someone parking in my stall because I have a garage.

Other than that, I love the way the rebuilt the units but it is too close to where I left from. I hate to stay somewhere where your residence it nearly attached to housing project where crime is extremely high. We had a nice townhouse, but every day darn near, cops were chasing criminals, they would do drive-by's and cross over the gate for a easy-cut-get-away, or hang on our apartment property because they cut the gates off. Our manager had to install a gate like very week. This is why I turned it down. I would rather pay more for security and to feel somewhat safe rather than pay little and live in fear. My days are up in the hood, I am finished.
15 years 5 months ago #1

Replied by MsKiwi on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

No, tried that already. they said that I gave them permission to pull when my name became available for a unit. I was thinking the same thing you did, but apparently I was wrong. These apt are based upon your income and the market rate for the apt is not like average apts. I guess their procedures are different.

I have disputed this but have not received and answer from the CB. I will be able to pull my Cr in another week so I will see have anything happened then. Or maybe they will send my updated Cr to me in the mail by then.

It took that long for a unit to become available? Holy cow.:white-flag:
15 years 5 months ago #2

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

No, tried that already. they said that I gave them permission to pull when my name became available for a unit. I was thinking the same thing you did, but apparently I was wrong. These apt are based upon your income and the market rate for the apt is not like average apts. I guess their procedures are different.

I have disputed this but have not received and answer from the CB. I will be able to pull my Cr in another week so I will see have anything happened then. Or maybe they will send my updated Cr to me in the mail by then.
15 years 5 months ago #3

Replied by MsKiwi on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

That is what I want to do Monday morning. But what happens when they call the company and they tell them that I did fill out an application there? Do you think I can come back at them with "Well it is very old and I feel that they should have contacted me to see if I was still interested instead of pulling my credit first?"

I know this is an old post but what ever happenend?
You can call the old apt and tell them to remove the inquiry as they no longer have permissable purpose to pull your reports after so long. If they refuse you could advise them they can be sued for a non pp pull on your cr. Only those who you are directly seeking credit from (insurance or job related) can pull your credit or ca's. I would imagine their pp only applied for a short time..say 90 days.
They have to remove it since it can possibly damage your ability to get new credit due to their credit pull.
15 years 5 months ago #4

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

I do NOT think that was right. I mean Cmon! 2003?

I think they have a # of days since the application date to run your credit. I dont think an application should even be held that long. Like maybe... "Application only valid for 90 days". IDK but it should come off cause that was like you said nearly 6 years ago!
15 years 5 months ago #5

That is what I want to do Monday morning. But what happens when they call the company and they tell them that I did fill out an application there? Do you think I can come back at them with "Well it is very old and I feel that they should have contacted me to see if I was still interested instead of pulling my credit first?" :confused:
15 years 5 months ago #6

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

Meya, I would try to make an effort to dispute the inquiry because it's going to be on your report for 24 months. It may be one inquiry, but it could make all the difference in the world. It could be the couple points that puts you between a good interest rate or bad interest rate when it comes to applying for a loan or credit card.
15 years 5 months ago #7

Well check this out! I received an alert from Mycreditkeeper.com saying that I have a new inquiry on my report. I was so nervous until I rushed to sign in. To my surprise there was an apartment agency pulling my credit report from the state of MD. I called them up and and they referred me back to San Francisco, and guess what.....................It was an apartment that I applied for back in 2003 pulling my credit to see if I qualified for rental. I went to the left on these people because that app was old and I forgot about it. They did not contact me or anything before doing so, but the lady told me that when I signed the application I agreed to a credit check:worried:.

I could not dispute this from EX through mycreditkeeper on line, so I had to call in. I was on hold for like 22 minutes before I decided to hang up. I just said forget it, I did sign the paper NEARLY 6 YEARS AGO:upset:, but I will just let it roll. I am thinking that it probably did not hurt my scores as much since it is from a rental company and not a credit card. Any advice? :dumbfounded:
15 years 5 months ago #8

I agree YoYo11! Congrats on your approval Greywolf, you are very lucky to have nice cards on your first shot. The scores shocked me especailly comming from someone who has no history of credit at all. Keep up the good work and remember what YoYo just mentioned about the utilization.
:white-flag:
15 years 6 months ago #9

Replied by yoyo11 on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

Wonderful review Greywolf...I wished I've paid attention like you did when I was in school!!!:fun: Try to use no more that 30%to 40% of your CL, with on time payments you will be good to go. Once you finish school, and look for that job...your credit report s/b wonderful...Good luck!!
15 years 6 months ago #10

Replied by greywolf on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

As someone who is fairly new to the credit market (I got my first credit card a few months ago), student card is the easiest way to go. Here is my adventure into the wonderful world of credit

I applied at the regular sub-prime (but reasonable) banks, Cap One, Merrick Bank, Orchard Bank. All three declined because of no history
Applied for Chevron Basic Gas card, Macy's, and Citi basic card. Again, declined because of no history. I had not intentions of even thinking about applying for those high fee cards (firstUSA/continental.
Kind of frustrating when you apply for probably the 6 easiest cards (per Finance globe forums), and get declined for all six.
I decided I would try and get my Mom to add me onto her card as an AU. After my mother spoke with Wamu, they said it would not help me because they do not report AUs anymore.
At this point I pretty much gave up, until I was shopping on Amazon for some books for school and the Amazon Student Visa from Chase came up. I figured what the heck, filled out the form, clicked submit. I got a 7-10 business day message. Didn't look good. I called up Chase the next day and spoke to a very nasty rep. who said she knew nothing, and I had to wait. 20 minutes later I called and got a really nice person at Chase/Amazon credit and they said they didn't have anything on the status, but she was nice enough to transfer me to a credit manager (person who actually makes the decision). He ran the application, and said it was declined because of my lack of history. I said something along the lines of, "but I thought this was a student card and having no history would be alright". He said he would look into it, and put me on hold. 2-3 minutes later, he came back on the line and said he has approved me for an $800 credit line with the Chase Amazon student Visa. Na annual fee, rate is 19.99% which is not bad for a student or store card.

At that point I was very, very happy. Card came in the mail a week later, and at that point I was in the credit club

After a month of having the Amazon visa I figured I would have a shot at the Citi MTVu student card. Applied, and I was given an $800 credit line, no annual fee and rate is 19.99%.

That’s not much in you folks out there is credit world, but for a student that is pretty good, even with the credit 'crisis' as it is.
My opinion, Amazon student Visa
Citi MTVu Visa (citi needed to see a copy of my tuition bill, and student ID for verification)

Hope that helps.
15 years 6 months ago #11

Replied by cireone on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

This probably is off the subject of this thread but why is it that on CreditSecure which is through AmEx and serviced to Experian always has a flipflop of scores??????
TO be more specific, last month my scores took a hit with TU but got raised for EQ and EX. Now this month, EX and EQ are back to what I perceive normal (590s now, was 606 last month), and TU is up again to 635 (was 606 lst month). It just seems odd that when the other two go up one goes down and vice-versa.
15 years 6 months ago #12
  • eric
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by eric on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

Let's see...this is what I remember applying for ( I regret my lack of knowledge..I'm only a teenage college student -_- )

1. Sallie Mae School Loan- Approved through cosigner (THANK GOD)
2. Capital One Personal Loan (Declined)
3. Some other Personal Loan (forgot exact name) (Declined)
4. Yet another personal loan (Declined)
5. Bank of America personal loan (declined)
6. Bank of America Student Card (declined) - counter offer of secured card offered (Waiting for them to send me card)
7. Capital One Student Card (declined)
8. Hello Kitty Credit Card (stupid move, as it is probably for people with excellent credit) (Of course, Declined)

Yeah those should be all the places I've applied for. I can't pull up my own credit report so I don't know if someone unauthorized went to check my report. But those were the ones I allowed. And like 7 of those were within a 1-2 week period.

Yea I'd stop while your ahead. Use the BofA Secured Visa for a year...make your payments and you will be able to apply and get approved for more credit card after a yr
15 years 6 months ago #13

Replied by karatz on topic Re: Will credit inquiries hurt your credit score if you have no credit score?

My recommendation:
1: If you get denied, you're entitled to a free credit report. Mail all three companies a request. Worst case is all they have on you is your address and the records of previous inquiries to your credit rating. You're info is there, trust me, otherwise you are using the wrong SSI number. After this, you are entitled to a free one every year. Stagger them from the big three, one every four months. Keep up on this.

2: Student loans. All you need is one and bang, everyone sends you pre-approved things. Why? Cause you got a loan, and the government is paying the minimum payments for you (interest). Just gotta take 6 units - take something easy, like Health 101, or something you enjoy. Use the student loan to put a deposit on number 3. If you don't stay in school for 6 months, then you have to start paying the student loan back.

3. Secured Card. VISA/Mastercard is really the only way to go. Get a $200 secured VISA. Bite the big one on the $39 yearly fee. You can make that go away after one or two years. Charge your gas, pay the VISA the same day...repeat. Six months there will be a slew of cards awaiting you.

4. Don't apply for anything you don't either A: know you can get, or B: want. Ya applying wont drop you below 0, but it will make getting to 500 slower...
15 years 6 months ago #14

If it is, we already have that listed as SOL :worried:
15 years 6 months ago #15