security freeze" on your credit file

Replied by Meya on topic Re: security freeze" on your credit file

I wanted to do a freeze but I am going to wait until i go on my prime card beng first:laugh:
15 years 8 months ago #46
  • KIEJON9
  • KIEJON9's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by KIEJON9 on topic Re: security freeze" on your credit file

you welcome
15 years 8 months ago #47

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: security freeze" on your credit file

Wow thanks for all of the information about credit freeze for the CB
15 years 8 months ago #48

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: Sample Freeze Letter to Experian

Many thanks on for the sample freeze letter and I believe I am going to go this route once my credit is back up to par. Once I have received the credit that I need I am going to freeze mines as well.
15 years 8 months ago #49
  • KIEJON9

Replied by KIEJON9 on topic : Sample Freeze Letter to Experian

Date] My current address is: My address has changed in the past five years. My former address was: My Social Security Number is:
My date of birth is: I am an identity theft victim and a copy of my police report or other investigative report filed with law enforcement of identity theft is enclosed.
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]OR
[/SIZE][/FONT]I am not a victim of identity theft and have enclosed my check in the amount of $5.00 to cover the cost of this freeze. Yours truly,
15 years 8 months ago #50
  • KIEJON9

Replied by KIEJON9 on topic Sample Freeze Letter to Experian

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Sample Freeze Letter to Experian
Date]
My current address is:
My address has changed in the past 5 years. My former address was:
My Social Security Number is:
My date of birth is:
I am an identity theft victim and a copy of my police report, or other investigative report
filed with law enforcement, of identity theft is enclosed. OR
I am not a victim of identity theft and have enclosed my check in the amount of $5.00 to
cover the cost of this freeze.
Yours truly,
[/B][/FONT]
15 years 8 months ago #51
  • KIEJON9

Replied by KIEJON9 on topic security freeze" on your credit file

A creditor will see a message or a code indicating that the file is frozen.
Can a creditor get my credit score if my file is frozen?
No. A creditor who requests your file from one of the three credit bureaus will only get a message or a code indicating that the file is frozen.
Can I order my own credit report if my file is frozen?
Yes.
Can anyone see my credit file if it is frozen?
When you have a security freeze on your credit file, certain entities still have access to it. Your report can still be released to your existing creditors or to collection agencies acting on their behalf. They can use it to review or collect on your account. Other creditors may also use your information to make offers of credit-unless you opt out of receiving such offers. See below for how to opt out of pre-approved credit offers. Government agencies may have access for collecting child support payments or taxes or for investigating Medicaid fraud. Government agencies may also have access in response to a court or administrative order, a subpoena, or a search warrant.
Do I have to freeze my file with all three credit bureaus?
Yes. Different credit issuers may use different credit bureaus. If you want to stop your credit file from being viewed, you need to freeze it with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
Sample Security Freeze Request Letters
Will a freeze lower my credit score?
No.
Can an employer do a background check on me if I have a freeze on my credit file?
No. You would have to lift the freeze to allow a background check or to apply for insurance, just as you would to apply for credit. You would have to lift the freeze to allow a background check just as you would to apply for credit.
Does freezing my file mean that I won't receive pre-approved credit offers?
No. You can stop the pre-approved credit offers by calling 888-5OPTOUT (888-567-8688). Or you can do this online at www.optoutprescreen.com . This will stop most of the offers, the ones that go through the credit bureaus. It's good for five years or you can make it permanent.
Does my spouse's file have to be frozen, too?
Yes. Both spouses have to freeze their separate credit files, via separate letters requesting the freeze, in order to get the benefit
15 years 8 months ago #52
  • KIEJON9

was created by KIEJON9

you have the right to put a "security freeze" on your credit file. A security freeze means that your file cannot be shared with potential creditors. A security freeze can help prevent identity theft. Most businesses will not open credit accounts without first checking a consumer's credit history. If your credit files are frozen, even someone who has your name and Social Security number would probably not be able to get credit in your name.
A security freeze is free to identity theft victims who have a police report of identity theft. If you are not an identity theft victim, it will cost you $10 to place a freeze with each credit bureau. It will also cost $10.00 to each time you lift the freeze.
How do I place a security freeze?
To place a freeze, you must write to each of the three credit bureaus. Write BY CERTIFIED MAIL to the addresses below]Equifax Security Freeze
P.O. Box 105788
Atlanta, GA 30348
Experian Security Freeze
P. O. Box 9554
Allen, TX 75013
TransUnion Security Freeze
P. O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
[/INDENT]
And include the following information]
[*]Your full name, including first, last, and middle names and any suffix.
[*]Any previously used the following name(s).
[*]Your current full addresses, including street address, any apartment number, city, state, and zip code.
[*]Your most recent full addresses, including street address, any apartment number, city, state, and zip code.
[*]Your social security number.
[*]Your date of birth.
[*]If you have been the victim of identity theft, provide a copy of a police report filed with your local police agency.
[*]If you have not been the victim of identity theft, enclose payment of $10.00 for placing the freeze.
[/LIST]Can I open new credit accounts if my files are frozen?
Yes. If you want to open a new credit account or get a new loan, you can lift the freeze on your credit file. You can lift it for a period of time. Or you can lift it for a specific creditor. After you send your letter asking for the freeze, each of the credit bureaus will send you a Personal Identification Number (PIN) within 10 business days of receiving the request. You will also get instructions on how to lift the freeze. You can lift the freeze by phone, using your PIN. The credit bureaus must lift your freeze within three days. The fee for lifting the freeze temporarily is $10.
What is the difference between a fraud alert and a freeze?
A fraud alert is a special message on the report that a credit issuer receives when checking a consumer's credit rating. It tells the credit issuer that there may be fraud involved in the account. A fraud alert can help protect you against identity theft. A fraud alert can also slow down your ability to get new credit. It should not stop you from using your existing credit cards or other accounts. "A security freeze means that your credit file cannot be seen by potential creditors or employers doing background checks-unless you give your consent. Most businesses will not open credit accounts without first checking a consumer's credit history.
How long does it take for a security freeze to be in effect?
Credit bureaus must place the freeze no later than five business days after receiving your written request.
How long does it take for a security freeze to be lifted?
Credit bureaus must lift a freeze no later than three business days after receiving your request.

What will a creditor who requests my file see if it is frozen?
Credit bureaus must lift a freeze no later than three business days after receiving your request.

What will a creditor who requests my file see if it is frozen?
15 years 8 months ago #53