Calculating credit score

Replied by FrankN on topic Calculating credit score

I think it would be interesting if there was an article/research report that taught you the detailed calculations of calculating credit scores. Maybe not for everyone, but I would be interested in reading something like that.
6 years 1 day ago #1

JGibbs wrote: Has the credit score game changed since the Equifax hack? I thought it might cause institutions to change the way they viewed and ranked things.

I also have not heard anything expected to change regarding the credit score calculation.
6 years 2 months ago #2

Replied by JGibbs on topic Calculating credit score

Wanderer wrote: From my reading and looking around the world wide web nothing has been reported. Hey it was a little corporate blip but bigger is better. Consumers "oh well" ... ;(

I didn't expect anyone to get fined, arrested, or punished at all, but I did think the breach would change how our credit worthiness gets assessed. I guess I was wrong.
6 years 2 months ago #3

Replied by Wanderer on topic Calculating credit score

From my reading and looking around the world wide web nothing has been reported. Hey it was a little corporate blip but bigger is better. Consumers "oh well" ... ;(
6 years 2 months ago #4

Replied by JGibbs on topic Calculating credit score

Has the credit score game changed since the Equifax hack? I thought it might cause institutions to change the way they viewed and ranked things.
6 years 2 months ago #5

Thanks for these links MDAVYDOV, this is great and very helpful!
6 years 5 months ago #6

Replied by mdavydov on topic Calculating credit score

It looks like most lenders currently use FICO Score 8 as can be seen here:
http://www.myfico.com/credit-education/credit-score-versions/
https://effectify.com/blog/build-credit/understand-your-credit-score/

Yet again, it all depends on a type of lender/loan you are applying for.
6 years 5 months ago #7

You are able to dispute information contained in the reporting credit bureaus. FICO Scores are generated off of the information available from the credit bureaus. There are many different FICO Score Models available to lenders and they all draw the base data from the credit bureaus. You can not dispute the FICO Scores as they are a formula/algorithm that only can produce scores within the parameters that it was established for. If you believe the scores are not correct, you need to review your credit bureau reports and dispute any legal information that you believe is incorrect. Insuring that your bureau reports are right will lead to the correct FICO Scores. Remember, the lender decides what FICO models they will use. Also note, many lenders use FICO Scores and import the data into their own proprietary risk models. Chase and US Bank are two that have their own internal scoring models and they will NOT share how they work as people potentially will then use the knowledge to game the system.
7 years 8 months ago #8

Replied by Moneyes on topic Calculating credit score

If some people know how to do that, and what they come up with is drastically different than what FICO says it is, they probably think they can contest the score. I don't know if they can, but that might be their reasoning for doing it.
7 years 8 months ago #9

I couldn't agree more. Calculating your score isn't as important as looking at your financial profile as a whole. The goal is to worry about improving your credit score.
8 years 1 month ago #10

Replied by djames on topic Calculating credit score

Each one does do things differently. That's a good point to make, too. I think people can get too caught up worrying over each point, when the key is to address your entire financial picture.
8 years 2 months ago #11

The mathematical formulas that exist for each type of credit such as consumer, home, auto are all different as are the lenders that likely have their own versions. You would drive yourself crazy. Good luck but don't pull your hair out :)
8 years 2 months ago #12

Replied by djames on topic Calculating credit score

That is good advice. There are errors all the time on credit reports and many people do not take advantage of the annual free reports. You should get one from each of the three big credit bureaus and check everything out to start with, then request at least one of them each year from then on.
8 years 2 months ago #13

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Calculating credit score

I've never attempted to calculate what my credit score should be; I've always relied on FICO to do that for me. Is there a reason why I should calculate my own score or is doing that just a matter of curiosity?
8 years 2 months ago #14

Replied by Breakinger on topic Calculating credit score

I found out about negative things on your credit report about ten years ago when my husband and I were looking to clean up some of our financials. When we obtained our credit report, I couldn't believe the things that were on there that were paid but never removed. It was because of this our credit score was not as good as it should have been. I definitely believe that everyone should look over their credit report at least once a year so you can be sure that everything is in order.
8 years 3 months ago #15