AMEX Cards

Replied by smcc on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Now everyone has chimed in on the $450 Annual Fee for the Platinum Card and will one be able to take advantage of the benefits associated with the card vs the Annual Fee.

How many of us have spent $450 on misc (non important, non critical) items during a 1yr period ? I'm sure we all have. Bringing it down to a monthly period and by paycheck how many of us have spent $10 week/ $20 bi weekly on frivilous items ? Be it going to the movies, out to McDonalds, night out with the family, purchasing clothes, shoes, jewelry, extra tank of gas in that Benz, BMW, Lexus, Rover, Audi, Volvo, Saab, Infiniti, Ferrari, Vette, etc., to go see friends or just crusing, we have all been there. Why not take that same money and use it for the Annual Fee for the Platinum Card ? All the items I just mentioned will come and go and will still cost you $450. While it provides immediate gratification, it still will come and go. At least with the Platinum Card you have something that is tangible and provides a "means to the way" in crucial times and can be a benefit/perk when out traveling (as many of you have stated) in good times ? Everyone has complained about the AF but all of us have let that amount of money ($450) slip through our hands in a 12 month period. Example, If you and your husband/wife went to a fast food restaurant and spent $8 a week as a night out in these difficult economic times, there is $416 spent right there ! Now I don't know about you guys but if I had a choice between a Whopper Combo Meal once a week with my significant other and a Platinum Card, Amex wins hands down :cheesing: !
14 years 8 months ago #106
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Smcc, I hope you realize that the AMEX Platinum has a $450 AF. If you can't benefit from the card, it would be a waste of money IMO.
14 years 8 months ago #107

Replied by smcc on topic Re: AMEX Cards

You guys are killing my pro active approach to this card (Platinum) :cheesing: This Gold Card has become boring.
14 years 8 months ago #108

Replied by Meya on topic Re: AMEX Cards

14 years 8 months ago #109

Replied by qchau on topic Re: AMEX Cards/afraid to get decline again

Try to go on their website and have them do a soft inquiry to see if you are approved for any card.

re: brian23 / amex green card

i just checked out american express website this morning (7/15/2009) but I could not find pre-approved to fill out the application (soft pull) instead check application status (hard pull/inquiries) - what website and where should i go to? thanks
14 years 8 months ago #110

Replied by charonh on topic Re: AMEX Cards

smcc, I can understand why you want an Amex card, but if you take only two trips a year, what are the benefits of having the Platinum? That's what I want to know. Maybe a few months down the road, I will convert to the Gold charge card. What I am seeing with my Amex green is that they want me to upgrade to the Platinum. i think it is a ploy to get more money out of me by way of annual fee.

I agree. My boyfriend can't sign into his account without them offering to upgrade him to a platinum and I'm like, come on, he barely uses the green. Why would he want a platinum with that ridiculous annual fee. I feel its a ploy too.
14 years 8 months ago #111

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: AMEX Cards/afraid to get decline again

re

Try to go on their website and have them do a soft inquiry to see if you are approved for any card.
14 years 8 months ago #112

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: AMEX Cards/afraid to get decline again

hello as of now i have no inquiries for the year 2009 and i have zero balance on all my credit cards

Remember though that inquiries go back two years, so if you had a few last year they could be looking at that.
14 years 8 months ago #113

re

What are your total credit lines? 7 Inquiries is also quite a few and it sends red flags to creditors. I have heard that 720 is the new 650 as well but I cannot confirm that. I do know that Discover is very conservative so I would bet that they want to see very few inquiries, less then 30% utilization and at least 720 on Experian. As far as AMEX, I am not sure why you would be having trouble with them. Because it is a charge card and you have to pay in full each month, the Green Rewards is actually a very easy card to get as long as you have kept your nose clean.
14 years 8 months ago #114

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: AMEX Cards

With those scores, it is possible to get an Amex green. Every creditor has their own guidlines and criteria about giving out cards. If you really want it, go for it.
14 years 8 months ago #115

Replied by qchau on topic Re: AMEX Cards/afraid to get decline again

Hi Kiejon,

How many inquiries do you have? What is your balance to credit line ratio? All of those things play into your approval chances.

re: colonative

i have two cards with balance less than $800 - i make $42,000 a years - two car ,totals $ 700/month, no collection, no late payment in last 3 years, no bankruptcy, 5 or 7 inquiries (all three reports - none of them have more than 7 inquiries within 2 years) - recent scores: 719 (experian), 709 (transunion) & 695 (exquifax) - do you think i will have a chance to get this green amex card?

last time, i have heard that most banks had changed their guidelines - if you don't have more than 720 points (lowest of three scores required to get approval for amex or discover card - then for get it, is that true?) thanks.
14 years 8 months ago #116

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: AMEX Cards

smcc, I can understand why you want an Amex card, but if you take only two trips a year, what are the benefits of having the Platinum? That's what I want to know. Maybe a few months down the road, I will convert to the Gold charge card. What I am seeing with my Amex green is that they want me to upgrade to the Platinum. i think it is a ploy to get more money out of me by way of annual fee.
14 years 8 months ago #117

Replied by KIEJON9 on topic Re: AMEX Cards/afraid to get decline again

Hi Kiejon,

How many inquiries do you have? What is your balance to credit line ratio? All of those things play into your approval chances.

hello as of now i have no inquiries for the year 2009 and i have zero balance on all my credit cards
14 years 8 months ago #118

Replied by charonh on topic Re: AMEX Cards

:cheesing: :cheesing: :cheesing: :: dumbfounded:
14 years 8 months ago #119

hi,

my recently scores is

Hi Kiejon,

14 years 8 months ago #120