From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

Oo, share a link to the new design?

https://www.macys.com/service/credit/rewards/index.ognc?DivisionID=7

Looks just like the Visa only with an AMEX logo and a proper Member Since date embossed (in the Amex location) as opposed to the screened "Cardholder Since" on the Visa.

If the link doesn't work, I went to Macys.com, Pay your Bill, and on the left menu, New Card Perks and it took me to the Amex cards. They show the black (Elite) and a Platinum version..I would assume that Red Star and Gold Star will also be offered.

I went to Bloomingdales.com and it looks like you can apply for the Bloomingdale's Amex (in store only) already. Same with Macy's it looks like. I guess the Visa is officially dead for new applicants and existing Visa cardholders will be getting their Amex replacements in the coming months.
13 years 6 months ago #1

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

I'm sure it'll be changing soon probably before November or December end of month for sure. I logged in last week to pay my bill and clicked on the option that says " activated Macys Amex" and got a glimpse of the new card.

Rockin35

Oo, share a link to the new design? :cheesing: :cheesing: :cheesing: :cheesing: :cheesing: :cheesing: :cheesing:
13 years 6 months ago #2
  • Rockin35
  • Rockin35's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Rockin35 on topic Re: From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

I noticed online Macy's is still showing the visa card. On their website it doesn't say anything about the switch to AmEx. I wonder if they may still offer the Visa card.

I'm sure it'll be changing soon probably before November or December end of month for sure. I logged in last week to pay my bill and clicked on the option that says " activated Macys Amex" and got a glimpse of the new card.

Rockin35
13 years 6 months ago #3
  • Rockin35

Replied by Rockin35 on topic Re: From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

Would you be able to call Macy's and ask them NOT to change your card type? I follow your line of reasoning and wonder what there thinking? The answer is no. Macy's and Bloomingdale's will issue co-branded American Express Cards with Citi Bank (Visa is dead). The respective store cards will remain unchanged. All benefits, credit lines, interest rates and the like will remain the same to start with and the roll out to be completed by the end of 2010.

Your absolutely right! Sorry for the late reply, I did call Customer Service a few weeks ago, they are letting current card holders keep our instore revolving credit line as well as being assigned a new AMEX card number. So I guess that's not too bad. One thing you said that I am certainly taking note of.....VISA is loosing it's steam, folks!

Rockin35
13 years 6 months ago #4

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

Wow is all I can say
13 years 7 months ago #5

I noticed online Macy's is still showing the visa card. On their website it doesn't say anything about the switch to AmEx. I wonder if they may still offer the Visa card.

Yeah, the change won't be official until December or January '11. Up until then, they still offer the Visa. That would be a little weird to open the Visa and in a few months get it replaced with an Amex.

Lets see if they lower the APR for the Amex (dont hold your breath).
13 years 7 months ago #6

Replied by kdb030609 on topic Re: From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

13 years 7 months ago #7

Replied by smcc on topic Re: From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

Doesn't AMEX want to be "somewhat" exclusive ? The AF's they charge in itself will keep them somewhat exclusive :cheesing: !
13 years 7 months ago #8

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

To be honest, I am proud of American Express for pulling this off. They have such a small market share. It would be cool if there was AMEX debit! I remember seeing a bank with Amex debit along time ago... I think it was Canadian or something. I tried doing research and found nothing.
13 years 7 months ago #9

Department Stores National Bank (Citibank/FACS) announced in April or May that they had signed a new deal with American Express. I am sure that there was an exclusivity claus that gave Amex all the co-branded cards (instead of a duality wherein Visa and Amex are both offered). Amex is considered higher end and I am sure especially for Bloomies that they wanted that status associated with them. Heck, that "other" store from Arkansas has an Amex, so why not Bloomingdales and Macy's?

I am sure a lot of people will be ticked off but I am also sure that they did market research and found that more would either not mind or would prefer the Amex. Many of you might not know, but the networks (Visa, MC, Discover and Amex) go to the different banks, credit unions and finance companies to get them to switch. Sometimes, like with what DNSB has done, it works. Amex must have given them a sweet deal for them to switch. It could also be that Citibank needed to fill a quota for issuing American Express cards (they avoided being named in the anti trust suit by agreeing to issue American Express cards). Maybe their other Amex cards weren't popular and so they were getting heat from Amex to issue more or else. That is purely conjecture on my part though.
13 years 7 months ago #10

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: From Macys VISA to Macys AMEX

I just recieved my letter today, much to my shock

Would you be able to call Macy's and ask them NOT to change your card type? I follow your line of reasoning and wonder what there thinking? The answer is no. Macy's and Bloomingdale's will issue co-branded American Express Cards with Citi Bank (Visa is dead). The respective store cards will remain unchanged. All benefits, credit lines, interest rates and the like will remain the same to start with and the roll out to be completed by the end of 2010.
13 years 7 months ago #11
  • Rockin35

was created by Rockin35

I just recieved my letter today, much to my shock:shocked: with a "Congratulations" letter stating that my Macy's Visa Card will now be converted to a Macy's AMEX Card.... AND with a new account number.

I don't get it, I'm not understanding what Macys is trying to do, here.

This is such an inconvenience to get a new account number, especially since I've had it for many years now.

Foolishness!!:confused:

Rockin35
13 years 7 months ago #12