Phone cards as we know it

Replied by patse on topic Gathering force

Breakinger wrote: I didn't see this coming either. I still haven't tried using one of these wallet apps or the Apple Pay on my phone. I think that the technology behind it is fascinating, but I'm just unsure about the security part of it. What if someone gets ahold of your phone? How secure is this new technology going to be in that situation?

I'm the same way. I think it's fascinating but I haven't tried it yet either. I'm always a bit scared to use the newest technology, especially when it comes to dealing with my bank accounts and my hard earned money.
7 years 11 months ago #16

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Gathering force

I wasn't aware of that, Frank. I thought if someone used the mobile payment app with your information it would be one of those situations when you have to make a bunch of phone calls to the credit card company and wait for them to investigate and all that jazz. That still happens with physical cards, of course, but I felt like the apps would be opening me up to more of a possibility of it.
7 years 11 months ago #17

Replied by FrankN on topic Gathering force

You should always have those concerns. However generally the store will be liable for any unauthorized purchases. I am not saying you shouldn't be careful, but in most situations you will not have to pay for those unauthorized purchases.
7 years 11 months ago #18

Replied by Cents on topic Gathering force

Breakinger, those are my concerns as well. I'm assuming there is some kind of "lock" on the payments feature so a stranger wouldn't be able to just open the phone and use it, but hackers are clever creatures and I doubt it would be difficult for them to find a way in. I just don't like the idea of having such personal information on my phone.
8 years 2 weeks ago #19

Replied by Breakinger on topic Gathering force

I didn't see this coming either. I still haven't tried using one of these wallet apps or the Apple Pay on my phone. I think that the technology behind it is fascinating, but I'm just unsure about the security part of it. What if someone gets ahold of your phone? How secure is this new technology going to be in that situation?
8 years 2 weeks ago #20

Replied by Egghead on topic Gathering force

I think the article below sums up the future really well. The US may be a bit behind in terms of contactless payment, but it is about to hit.

http://www.ncr.com/company/blogs/financial/payments-2016-no-stopping-the-contactless-surge

It's not a bad thing in itself, but I do feel people should have choices. Some of us like the old fashioned methods of doing things.
8 years 2 weeks ago #21

Replied by Cents on topic Phone cards

Well, I can't say I saw it coming, but I'm also not surprised. Nothing that happens with technological advancements really surprises me. As for using those payment apps, no, I don't use them yet. I'd like to say I never will, but there may come a day when we won't have a choice.
8 years 1 month ago #22

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Smartphones

Well, we all know that this is starting to come to fruition. Did you see this coming? Do you use the mobile wallet apps? Personally, I don't feel comfortable with this form of payment yet.
8 years 1 month ago #23
  • cce
  • cce's Avatar Topic Author

was created by cce

It looks like a phone card may not be just a calling card in the future:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-02/at-t-verizon-said-to-target-visa-mastercard-with-smartphones.html

I look forward to not have cards to keep up with!
13 years 8 months ago #24