Which secured card

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Which secured card

The Citi Secured Mastercard is also a good option. It's an 18 month CD that's tied up to a credit card account and you can deposit anywhere from $200 to $5000 (used to be $25,000) and earn interest on your deposit while building credit.
13 years 9 months ago #1

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Which secured card

What do you mean by shortest security deposit? What is the typical length and who has the shortest?

It seems that Bank of America wants nine to twelve months as an average, Wells Fargo Bank NA says they want a year but some on this site report being unsecured at nine months, Citi Cards uses a CD and wants 18 months of security and they don't bend... Capital One just came out with a secured card and there are no reports on time lines for unsecuring... Orchard Bank has a secured card and reports are they don't unsecure the card but you find a different card and close their secured card if you so desire. US Bank has a secured card but no reports on unsecuring (guess a year).

JP Morgan Chase doesn't want anyone with less than fair to good credit and they stay away from sub-prime clients. Wells Fargo is closing down much of their sub-prime operations and wants out of sub-prime along with Citi Bank who is working on spinning off their sub-prime operations. It could get very interesting.
13 years 9 months ago #2
  • ais249346
  • ais249346's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by ais249346 on topic Re: Which secured card

You kind of answer your own question. Banks like relationships (Wells Fargo thrives on it-they want your savings, checking, car loan, credit card and mortgage). US Bank is a good bank and I have never heard of anybody having a problem with them. It would make sense to try US Bank first since you have a relationship with them.

However, you may want to look at what bank offers the best APR, shortest security deposit and annual fee.

What do you mean by shortest security deposit? What is the typical length and who has the shortest?
13 years 9 months ago #3

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Which secured card

I bank with us bank. Was going to start a secured card. Should I go with us bank since I do bank there. That would help build my relationship with them I have checking account with them for 2 years. Or should I go with some other secured card.

You kind of answer your own question. Banks like relationships (Wells Fargo thrives on it-they want your savings, checking, car loan, credit card and mortgage). US Bank is a good bank and I have never heard of anybody having a problem with them. It would make sense to try US Bank first since you have a relationship with them.

However, you may want to look at what bank offers the best APR, shortest security deposit and annual fee.
13 years 9 months ago #4
  • ais249346
  • ais249346's Avatar Topic Author

was created by ais249346

I bank with us bank. Was going to start a secured card. Should I go with us bank since I do bank there. That would help build my relationship with them I have checking account with them for 2 years. Or should I go with some other secured card.
13 years 9 months ago #5