Embedded Chip / RFID CARDS

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Embedded Chip / RFID CARDS

Wow! I hope they'll include all cards soon enough. That would be great.

:cool:
12 years 9 months ago #1

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Embedded Chip / RFID CARDS

US Bank announced today that they are going to roll out EMV Chip and PIN to the US Bank Flex Rewards Visa!

http://www.mybanktracker.com/bank-news/2011/06/13/us-bank-launch-dual-emv-chip-contactless-credit-card/

This will come in handy to anybody that requently travels to Europe. :cool:

Wow! I hope they'll include all cards soon enough. That would be great.
12 years 9 months ago #2

US Bank announced today that they are going to roll out EMV Chip and PIN to the US Bank Flex Rewards Visa!

http://www.mybanktracker.com/bank-news/2011/06/13/us-bank-launch-dual-emv-chip-contactless-credit-card/

This will come in handy to anybody that requently travels to Europe. :cool:
12 years 9 months ago #3

I think Walmart has been the driving force for RF ID for its distribution centers. So I guess this means that 8-track is officially gone. Kidding aside, I think that the Apple IPhone really pushed things forward on the portable data capable devices we see today, even at work our food services use IPADS now. With technology it has to be adopted by the public no matter how good the device is. I just wish the US had gone with a common cellular technology as in Europe, when over seas just was nice that my phone would work even though I went from the UK to Germany for instance, just a few years ago If I went to see my family there was no GSM, so I had to carry a pre paid CDMA phone, but now there is GSM but still not that great. I like that now I am asked for my billing zip code, my AMEX always did this.

Yeah, Walmart changing all of their POS (point of sale) systems to be EMV compliant is a huge step towards having EMV chip cards here in the US. Mostly it seems that the banks are currently adding these cards so that American's traveling overseas won't have any trouble using their US cards. The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta has made several comments for the benefits of EMV and depending on how it is interpreted, there is verbiage in the Durbin Amendment of Dodd-Frank that explains that if banks/credit unions improve the security of debit cards they will be able to get a higher interchange fee for debit card purchases. It is believed that this so-called security refers to EMV. So, this would ignite a EMV chip era if this is the case.

I have to admit the Google wallet is kind of cool. But it won't completely replace physical credit cards anytime soon.
12 years 9 months ago #4

Replied by rsty99 on topic Re: Embedded Chip / RFID CARDS

I think Walmart has been the driving force for RF ID for its distribution centers. So I guess this means that 8-track is officially gone. Kidding aside, I think that the Apple IPhone really pushed things forward on the portable data capable devices we see today, even at work our food services use IPADS now. With technology it has to be adopted by the public no matter how good the device is. I just wish the US had gone with a common cellular technology as in Europe, when over seas just was nice that my phone would work even though I went from the UK to Germany for instance, just a few years ago If I went to see my family there was no GSM, so I had to carry a pre paid CDMA phone, but now there is GSM but still not that great. I like that now I am asked for my billing zip code, my AMEX always did this.
12 years 9 months ago #5

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Embedded Chip / RFID CARDS

On another note, Google did release "Google Wallet" last week.

http://www.google.com/wallet/

Now that is pretty cool... :cool:
12 years 9 months ago #6

I just found this article from the Finance Globe homepage:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/silicon-valley-bank-first-to-deliver-chip-enabled-credit-cards-to-businesses-in-the-us-122933063.html

Awesome. It may finally be happening, the US may just adopt EMV card standards. I don't remeber if I explained EMV in my other rambling, but it stands for Europay MasterCard Visa and is essentially the official name of cards with the embedded chiip. They were called Smart cards here, Chip & Pin in the UK) EMV issuers in the US so far:

UN FCU (Elite card level only)
SECU (debit only)
Chase (JP Morgan Paladium Visa only for now-plans to issue other cards as EMV later)
Wells Fargo (15,000 frequent European travelers-pilot program)
Silicon Valley Bank (Business World MasterCard)

That is a heck of a start. And I also read that by the end of the year, Walmart will have EMV credit card readers at all of its registers in the US. I don't know about all y'all, but I am loving this.
12 years 9 months ago #7

Technology churning is another challenge such as Verizon releasing it's version of an IPOD Phone 3G to only replace it five months later with 4G or maybe 5G and we can go on. As one who chased all the latest technology I found it financially breaking and truth be told, the changes were not enough to warrant throwing away and moving on. The change from Lap Tops to Smart Phones or like equipment will be great but, I would rather have a desk top that runs on light (laser) rather than electric current/magnetic sources for speed and such machines exist but, not to the public. VHS to CD/DVD to Blu Ray (nonsense), soley for the purpose to make more money on new products that did little to improve quality and of late even convenience (note Blu Ray has not been the hot sell).

You know, the post-PC era has supposedly begun. The thing to remember for me is that all these iPad, iPhone, Android apps, etc. all need regular computers to be developed. Flash is a big issue for people on tablets, I find it unnecessary; especially with HTML5 now. I just got this new application called Hype for my mac, it basically creates web animations easily and then imports to efficient HTML5 coding. If you're not familiar with HTML5 it requires no additional plugin.
12 years 9 months ago #8

Very interesting! Note, there will be some people who do not or will not subscribe to the smart phone or related equipment services and as such will not utilize the latest in technology. For a fact, smart phone and related technology works in larger areas with a concentration of people and as you move rural the available services diminish. Then you look at the cost of the smart phones and related equipment plus the ongoing large monthly costs and people such as myself do not feel it is worth the expense. So you will be dealing with a varied user base. Even the younger people who thrive on the latest will be challenged financially as we see the market place dwindle to AT&T and Verizon. This will NOT bring our costs down. Also, the less traveled areas will have poor communications making such technology less attractive. For myself, I have lived rural many times and the state of the art is not available. Cell providers find too small a market to make it cost effective. In summary, there will remain more than the modern young user to provide services for.

Technology churning is another challenge such as Verizon releasing it's version of an IPOD Phone 3G to only replace it five months later with 4G or maybe 5G and we can go on. As one who chased all the latest technology I found it financially breaking and truth be told, the changes were not enough to warrant throwing away and moving on. The change from Lap Tops to Smart Phones or like equipment will be great but, I would rather have a desk top that runs on light (laser) rather than electric current/magnetic sources for speed and such machines exist but, not to the public. VHS to CD/DVD to Blu Ray (nonsense), soley for the purpose to make more money on new products that did little to improve quality and of late even convenience (note Blu Ray has not been the hot sell).
12 years 9 months ago #9

I believe there are many issues to work out before this system takes off; however, I do think it is the next generation of payments. Since the release of Google Wallet, eBay owned PayPal, has already launched a huge lawsuit claiming the company used their secrets. Osama Bedier, a previous employee of eBay, for nine years, has been asserted to sharing confidential information with Google. It is believed he transfered mobile payment solutions, created by PayPal, to his personal computer shortly before leaving his work at PayPal. These files were allegedly leaked to Google at his knowledge.

I think Apple has the capability to launch a more powerful mobile payment system, but has stayed back cautiously for a reason, to avoid legal battles. Apple is rumored to be in the process of developing a mobile payment solution; but for now I believe it may be on hold. Apple is known for placing hardware in new products but never "turning them on." I would not doubt NFC in the next iPhone (slated for September), just possibly a secret in the beginning.

My belief in this process working is based off the amount of smart phones available now, younger generations using, and security would actually be better. The way I understand things, the phones require a physical swipe (much like the current Express Pay solutions), and a pin. They would use the same encryption used for online banking. You could remotely wipe your phone, much like the current Find my iPhone app, or call the card provider to stop payments on the card.

Very interesting! Note, there will be some people who do not or will not subscribe to the smart phone or related equipment services and as such will not utilize the latest in technology. For a fact, smart phone and related technology works in larger areas with a concentration of people and as you move rural the available services diminish. Then you look at the cost of the smart phones and related equipment plus the ongoing large monthly costs and people such as myself do not feel it is worth the expense. So you will be dealing with a varied user base. Even the younger people who thrive on the latest will be challenged financially as we see the market place dwindle to AT&T and Verizon. This will NOT bring our costs down. Also, the less traveled areas will have poor communications making such technology less attractive. For myself, I have lived rural many times and the state of the art is not available. Cell providers find too small a market to make it cost effective. In summary, there will remain more than the modern young user to provide services for.
12 years 9 months ago #10

I believe there are many issues to work out before this system takes off; however, I do think it is the next generation of payments. Since the release of Google Wallet, eBay owned PayPal, has already launched a huge lawsuit claiming the company used their secrets. Osama Bedier, a previous employee of eBay, for nine years, has been asserted to sharing confidential information with Google. It is believed he transfered mobile payment solutions, created by PayPal, to his personal computer shortly before leaving his work at PayPal. These files were allegedly leaked to Google at his knowledge.

I think Apple has the capability to launch a more powerful mobile payment system, but has stayed back cautiously for a reason, to avoid legal battles. Apple is rumored to be in the process of developing a mobile payment solution; but for now I believe it may be on hold. Apple is known for placing hardware in new products but never "turning them on." I would not doubt NFC in the next iPhone (slated for September), just possibly a secret in the beginning.

My belief in this process working is based off the amount of smart phones available now, younger generations using, and security would actually be better. The way I understand things, the phones require a physical swipe (much like the current Express Pay solutions), and a pin. They would use the same encryption used for online banking. You could remotely wipe your phone, much like the current Find my iPhone app, or call the card provider to stop payments on the card.
12 years 9 months ago #11

See...I am not sure I like that. I also do not care for the smartphone credit card app.

It seems to me, the use of additional services would be voluntary. I too, worry about wave the cell phone in front of a card reader or over the WiFi or air card services. Banks claim they wiill have it where virtually all their services will access from smart phone technology, lap tops or other related equipment. If a consumer want this option fine... I am very concerned about security...!!! So, my choice is to not seek or activate such services.
12 years 9 months ago #12

See...I am not sure I like that. I also do not care for the smartphone credit card app.
12 years 9 months ago #13

12 years 9 months ago #14

I have been reading up on these cards recently. Anybody else? SMCC started this thread about a year ago.

The "embedded chip" cards are referred to as EMV cards as well as Chip & PIN cards (Not to be confused with the Pay Wave/Pay Pass/Express Pay contactless cards). They were marketed here in the States starting in 1999 as Smart Cards; however, they never took off and were discontinued. Essentially, instead of a magnetic strip on the back of the card, these cards have a computer chip that contains the card information and approval codes. The cardholder places their card into a reader (similar to the Target card readers) and then they enter a 4 digit PIN to approve the transaction. These cards are nearly impossible to counterfeit and even more difficult to use in a face-to-face transactions (known as a POS 90 charge) as opposed to an online or telephone charge (known as MOTO).

Almost all industrialized countries have adopted the EMV technology; including recently, Canada. Yet the United States is slow to adopt the technology....That could be changing. Chase and Wells Fargo are beginning to issue EMV cards to their top tier cardholders that travel abroad due to the fact that US customers are having a hard time getting their US issued credit cards accepted in Europe. The United Nations Federal Credit Union (UN FCU) introduced an EMV Visa last year and State Employees Credit Union (of NC) will start to issue ALL of it's Visa Debit cards with EMV technology starting later this year. The real problem is getting merchants to upgrade their terminals to accept EMV cards....I would think that merchants, banks and acquiring banks would want to share in the cost of converting...the savings from reduced fraud would pay for the new terminals tenfold.

I would assume that with Chase and Wells issuing the EMV, Amex and Citibank won't be too far behind and then other banks and credit unions. I love the idea of the EMV cards-as long as I can choose my own PIN.

JP Morgan Chase is converting their card issuing center in Columbus Ohio to issuing the magnetic strip & chip/pin technology cards as a combined card to work both in the USA and abroad with issuing starting the summer of 2011. Wells Fargo Bank NA is planing on issuing the same type of card the summer of 2011. Both card issuers are starting with persons in business and one's that do foreign travel and work out from there.
12 years 9 months ago #15