Wells Fargo approved me for my first card!

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Wells Fargo approved me for my first card!

Congrats Symbios! That was definitely a smart decision on your part to get a secured card. Don't forget, you can call Wells Fargo after twelve months and ask for the card to be converted to an unsecured card.

If I were you, I would wait six months and apply for a store card that you shop at the most. However, six months of credit history may not be enough for some store cards such as Best Buy. Six months of credit history is sufficient for you to get your hands on a store card.
14 years 1 month ago #16

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Wells Fargo approved me for my first card!

Way to go! Now that is what I call, "Never give up hope"!:laugh:
14 years 1 month ago #17

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Wells Fargo approved me for my first card!

Symbios - I have worked with Wells Fargo Bank NA on the banking side and found them very knowledgeable, friendly and willing to walk the extra mile (for a big boy bank). Truth, over time my experience has been the regional close to home bank gave me the most and handled my needs. Lot's of talk about credit unions which fits the regional bank concept and because they are not-for-profit (don't pay taxes) better deals are available including credit cards (again I speak from my experiences). There has been a lot of really good thinking going on here at FG on the new rules.
14 years 1 month ago #18
  • Symbios
  • Symbios's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Symbios on topic Re: Wells Fargo approved me for my first card!

Thanks guys.

I'm not going to school right now, so that's why I jumped through so many hoops to get a secured card.

By the way, it's not hard to find a horror story about Wells Fargo on the internet... But my experience has been nothing but positive. The two people I spoke with were very friendly, knew what they were talking about, and got things done quickly. But that was just the credit department, don't know if it's like that throughout the company. Probably not, but I can dream...
14 years 1 month ago #19

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Wells Fargo approved me for my first card!

Symbios - Thanks for sharing your adventures with starting a credit history file. Many people here can learn from your experiences too! Nice shot! Makes me feel good to know there is some understanding when things don't go right (Wells Fargo Bank NA). WOW!!! Totally COOL :cool:
14 years 1 month ago #20

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Wells Fargo approved me for my first card!

Symbios,

If you're a student right now, I would suggest applying for a student card in the next 3-6 months. That's how I started. I'm also new to credit, with about 1.5 years history. Also stay away from those Orchard pre-approval offers in the mail if you start getting them.

Good luck. :)
14 years 1 month ago #21
  • Symbios
  • Symbios's Avatar Topic Author

was created by Symbios

A while back I posted here about BOA denying my app for their secured card because I had no credit history (I thought that was the point of a secured card!). After that, I gave the credit card thing a rest for a few months. But then I got the bug again... I saw an ad for Wells Fargo's secured Visa and decided to apply because they specifically mention that it's perfect for people with NO credit history.

I opened a checking account with them, and funded it with $300 because I figured that would help me prove that I actually have the money. I let it sit for a couple weeks and then applied for the card. Of course, I get a letter two weeks later saying I was denied. Grrr! But this time I was denied because they couldn't confirm my address and I needed to send a utility bill with my name on it.

Well that was that, I don't have any utility bills in my name (living with parents). So I gave up, started spending the $300 in the account and planned to close the damn thing. Before I did that, I decided to give it one last shot and call their credit department and see if there were any alternate ways to prove my address. The guy I talked to said they would gladly accept a copy of my parents' utility bill instead. Hot damn!

I immediately faxed it over and I guess they approved it the next day, because I didn't even get a chance to transfer more money into the checking account and was denied again due to a lack of funds. D'oh! So I transferred another $300 into the account and called the credit department again. They were very understanding and said they would get the ball rolling for me again.

Two days later, I am approved and I should have the card in 7 days! What an ordeal! Nearly two months of back and forth with them. But obviously some of it was my fault... Anyway, sorry for the long story, but I'm so excited! It's my first card, and it's with one of the big boys! Plus, it'll un-secure in 12 months, 11 if I'm really good.

Thanks for reading!
14 years 1 month ago #22