Why can't I get a secured card?

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Why can't I get a secured card?

Wow, I went through the list and I couldnt see it niether

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/products/compare/?linkid=WWW_0608_CARD_TGUNS10_CCPMP_H1_03_T_CCPCP[/URL] Maybe it is something that is new![/quote]

This is puzzling because I even chatted with a rep and specifically asked if they offered secured cards and he said they didn't. :confused:
14 years 8 months ago #16

Replied by iantha1 on topic Re: Why can't I get a secured card?

Hi Meya, I just did a prequal on the CapOne site and it has an option that ask whether or not you would like a secured card.

Idk but I had to enter my zipcode so that it could pull down cards that were available in my area.

Ciao,

BJ

As soon as i get more feed back from them. Ill fill every one in. But it is a secured card offer.
14 years 8 months ago #17

Replied by rwmtd on topic Re: Why can't I get a secured card?

Wow, I went through the list and I couldnt see it niether

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/products/compare/?linkid=WWW_0608_CARD_TGUNS10_CCPMP_H1_03_T_CCPCP[/URL] Maybe it is something that is new![/quote]

Hi Meya, I just did a prequal on the CapOne site and it has an option that ask whether or not you would like a secured card.

Idk but I had to enter my zipcode so that it could pull down cards that were available in my area.

Ciao,

BJ
14 years 8 months ago #18

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Why can't I get a secured card?

Wow, I went through the list and I couldnt see it niether :confused: http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/products/compare/?linkid=WWW_0608_CARD_TGUNS10_CCPMP_H1_03_T_CCPCP Maybe it is something that is new!
14 years 8 months ago #19

Are you sure that it was Capital One, because as others have mentioned, they do not offer a secured card

Yes im very sure. Must be new or somthing.
14 years 8 months ago #20

I just applied for a Cap 1 secured card and when i did it told me.

Thank you for submitting an application for a Capital One® credit card!

We're pleased to inform you that we're removing the security deposit requirement from your Capital One MasterCard®. This means you won't have to send us a security deposit! All of the other great terms of this offer will stay the same, like the competitive 17.8% variable APR on purchases and the $19 Annual Fee.

Notification of approval status will be typically sent in 7 to 10 business days; however, in certain circumstances it may take up to 15 days.

In the interim, please do not submit another application, as only the first application received will be considered valid.

Questions? Review our [URL="javascript]Frequently Asked Questions[/URL].

Please do not hit your browser's Back button.

Mya and every one can you tell me have you seen anything like this before....

Are you sure that it was Capital One, because as others have mentioned, they do not offer a secured card?:confused:
14 years 8 months ago #21

Lol, I must agree with Meya when it comes to Bank of America and opening an account with them (even if you hardly use it), because my friend just opened a checking account with them and she was offered their secured card and her credit isn't anything to write home to mama about :cheesing:. A credit union is another good option like ColoNative mentioned. They're fairly easy to join.
14 years 8 months ago #22
  • Symbios
  • Symbios's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Symbios on topic Re: Why can't I get a secured card?

Thanks for the advice everybody! BofA told me today to wait for the letter explaining their reason for declining me and then to call the number on the letter as they might be able to work something out with me... We'll see where that goes. If not, I'll see if I can get my parents to auth me, or I could always use that lamp...
14 years 8 months ago #23

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Why can't I get a secured card?

Hey all. I'm 21 and have never had a credit card. My credit score is 0.

I figured it was time to build my credit score and a secured card was the best way for me to do that. Unfortunately, I'm finding this to be a bit more difficult than it sounds... I first applied for the Orchard Bank secured MasterCard, but their system tells me they can't process my request do to insufficient data from the credit reporting agency. So today after reading some great reviews on this site, I tried for the BofA secured Visa, and not 2 minutes after submitting my application I get an email saying my app was rejected and I'll be getting a letter in the mail explaining their reasons.

Why is this happening? I thought secured cards were made for people like me?

Like Meya said, try opening an installment loan. If you don't already belong to a credut union, join one. Then deposit $500 and apply for a share secured loan. Hopefully it will be approved and then you will have credit. Like HJM said, it would be easiest if you can have a parent add you as an authorized user on one of their cards, it builds instant credit history (for now anway).
14 years 8 months ago #24

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Why can't I get a secured card?

I haven't heard of Capital One offering a secured card either and it wouldn't make sense for them to. They're unsecured cards are for people with bad/fair credit and who would want to put money upfront for a credit card when they can get an unsecured card which is much more convenient.
14 years 8 months ago #25

Ok thanks. Ive been doing well with my 3 credit cards.. Have not applied for any thing for over 8 months until yesterday when i went for the secured card from Cap 1. I just wanted to put 1000$ on it and let it work its magic . But it said what it said. So im thinking imma get the credit card in the mail. Ill update when i see the limit they give.
14 years 8 months ago #26

Never in my life!:laugh: Never heard of it niether
14 years 8 months ago #27

I just applied for a Cap 1 secured card and when i did it told me.

Thank you for submitting an application for a Capital One® credit card!

We're pleased to inform you that we're removing the security deposit requirement from your Capital One MasterCard®. This means you won't have to send us a security deposit! All of the other great terms of this offer will stay the same, like the competitive 17.8% variable APR on purchases and the $19 Annual Fee.

Notification of approval status will be typically sent in 7 to 10 business days; however, in certain circumstances it may take up to 15 days.

In the interim, please do not submit another application, as only the first application received will be considered valid.

Questions? Review our [URL="javascript]Frequently Asked Questions[/URL].

Please do not hit your browser's Back button.

Mya and every one can you tell me have you seen anything like this before....
14 years 8 months ago #28

Oh my goodness. 0 credit is the worst to ever have. I had a hard time with my bro in law, we tried everything in FG and he was denied. Your best bet is to open an installment account somewhere, even if it is to go to your local furniture store and finance a lamp or rug. He got in the door with Crown Jewelers, but I never asked him about how they are reporting. HJM is correct, try to become a AU on someones account, that will be your best bet. Did you happen to bank with any one of the creditors you just mentioned? If not, try opening an account with Bofa, then wait like 2 months and apply for a secured card. That way you will be in the door with them, and they will take chances with you since they already have your personal information.
14 years 8 months ago #29

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Why can't I get a secured card?

The reason why you're getting declined is because there is no credit history on your credit reports and the computer can't generate a score that would allow it decide if you meet their requirements but since there is no history, you will keep getting declined.

Do you know anyone that's would be willing to add you onto their account as an AU? If so, their credit history would report onto your credit report and make sure that they don't have a large balance or any late payments on that specific account.
14 years 8 months ago #30