Discover Cards being Replaced

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

This is an interesting topic that not hasn't been discussed before, at least not that I know of. When the economy gets better, I think that Discover is going to be the card that consumers will be using more and become the third card that's accepted by merchants worldwide if they lower their merchant fees.

There's going to be serious competition between AMEX and Discover when it comes to gaining customers. We already know that Discover is a conservative lender and consumers should accept that. We already saw what happened with AMEX due to the ridiculously large credit lines they issued to consumers. Those credit lines greatly exceeded consumers' spending habits and when consumers starting losing their jobs, they utilized 80% of their credit lines and weren't able to make payments, AMEX started reporting huge losses and that's when they starting reducing credit lines and limiting their exposure. This is also led them suspending accounts and requesting tax info.

Personally, I would prefer to have a card from a conservative lender such as Discover knowing that I wouldn't have to deal with any hassles that AMEX put their customers through. In a year or two, AMEX will no longer be known as the prestigous lender that they once were. If AMEX wants to gain the customers they lost, they're going to have to step it up and offer decent statement credits for new accounts.

Honestly, I would never go back to AMEX because you can't intentionally reduce your clientelle and expect them to come back when things start looking up. That's not how you do business and you need to pay the consequences of a business strategy that backfired.
15 years 1 day ago #16

Thanks for sharing that piece of info, Espee.
15 years 3 weeks ago #17

Replied by Espee on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

Hey kiddies i was on a small vacation LOL. Anyhow, i dont have a discover card...but i did open my worldperks visa statement today from US Bank and i discovered that my Worldperks card will be replaced soon. Im not sure what it is going to be called yet as the pamphlet in my statement just has a purple looking visa card with a red vail over it. But it has to do with the NWA/Delta merger.

Anyhow it does say that the transition will be seamless, and from what i understand about US Bank and my own experiences i dont doubt that at all. They say starting in May the new cards will be mailed out...so i will let you all know what i get LOL.
15 years 3 weeks ago #18

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

I agree!:worried:
15 years 3 weeks ago #19

You're not the first one to receive a new card with a new account number. Many have been affected by the recent security breaches and it's not just Discover customers. Hopefully, they will find a solution in order to keep our information and accounts secure.
15 years 3 weeks ago #20
  • interjack
  • interjack's Avatar Topic Author

was created by interjack

I just got a new Discover card in the mail today. I wasn't expecting one and I did not request one. I read the insert and saw that I was being sent one due to one of the recent credit card processor breaches. The insert said that I could refer to 2008breach.com. The new card had a new expiration date and had a holographic magnetic stripe (like amex). Just thought that you guys would like to know.
15 years 3 weeks ago #21